“Excellent Dinner”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Dinner”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I wouldn't say this one of the top 5 meals I have ever had, but I would still call it outstanding. My dinner included beef carpacio (very light, just amount of seasoning), local white fish with gnocchi and sweet potatoes and a light glass of red wine. Totally worth taking the time to cross the water via ferry from Meersburg! Very pretty setting. Wide range of languages being spoken. Met some nice people at next table. Overall great food and wonderful environment.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank alanjcook

• Polish first
Kendal
“It cannot get much better than this”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This has got to be amongst the top 3 meals I have ever eaten.I was dining some really good friends who live in Konstanz.
I had as always emailed my dietary restrictions before I arrived.This was noted perfectly.They ensured that my friends were not deprived of anything to fit in with me,which was excellent!
The evening starts with a wave of "greetings",which were full of flavours and textures.
I will describe a couple of my favourites, a egg shell filled with a runny egg asparagus fingers and a luscious hollandaise sauce.A sort of throwback to my childhood of boiled egg and soldiers!!!
The other was a flavour-some cornetto filled with vegetables and topped with beef that was divine.I will not go through them all as it would ruin the surprise of it all.
The menu itself is modest in its desciptions,and only tells about a third of the story.
I started with some Fois gras,which was served with rhubarb and brioche,but that was not the half of it.Again I will not ruin it,but the highlight was a foie gras icecream.It was truly sensationally-I washed this down with a very light sweet wine
My friends started with some scallops and Crustaceons respectively.They then reversed this for their in between course.My middle course was sea bass with beans and cumin.I did not know there were so many ways to serve the humble green been!The lovely Stephanie was on hand to explain every dish in detail,she did it with a relish and a confidence that you can only have when you know that the chef is at the top of his game.With the fish my friend chose a light local wine from Kress,which complemented the food perfectly.
After an excellent palate cleanser the main courses wer for the lady The pigeon which looked dlicious while we men had the lamb.The plate was full of wonderful flavours and textures,the lamb was served pink,I would have preferred to be with less salt,but that is my palate rather than a fault(I do not use salt when I cook).It was accompanied with variations of leeks,carrots and mint-again I will not go into too much detail!We all enjoyed a full bodied half bottle of red from Pruglia in Italy.It again married with the food perfectly.
After a lovely pre-dessert.The lady passed dessert but we had a plate of chocolate,Kalamansi and Passion fruit. The chocolate squares had different fillings-it was utterly heavenly and decadent!Stephanie smiled broadly when she could see how much we had enjoyed it.
We had a wonderful evening full of fun,laughter,great food and wine.This must be very close to getting a 3rd star.
Kendal mint

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank KendalMint
London, United Kingdom
“the best resyaurant”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Ophelia is one of the top 3 restaurants I have ever been to. Everything is amazing. The food of course is great. And the food is at par with the ambience, the excellent service ( the Maitre D' is the best ever) and the whole dining experience.... We have been back a couple of times and will keep going back....

• Visited December 2011