“Great place for a romantic weekend”

Steigenberger Inselhotel
Ranked #1 of 34 Hotels in Konstanz
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I just happened upon this hotel right on the Lake Constance Harbor in late March while we were exploring Konstanz. There were very fiew people in the hotel. With off season rates we were able to enjoy 2 nights of luxury and relaxation in our large suite with a large balcony that gave us a beautiful view of the lake. The beds were comfortable as well as the large chair.The hotel staff were very accomodating. The hotel is centrally located next to shops and places to eat. In season, there is boat you can take that travels the lake and gardens you can visit in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the harbor of Lake Constance
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Overlooking Lake Constance, with views of the Alps , on the borders of Germany and Switzerland, this is a delightful 5 star Hotel that lives up to all expectations. As soon as you walk into the Courtyard you are surrounded by murals that quickly remind you of its monastery beginnings. A few yards further and you are on the edge of the Lake. Excellent service and a choice of Restaurants with very high standards complete our enjoyable stay. Although situated on an island there is a major railway line very close by. There was good sound insulation but would suggest a lakeside room.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My conmpany uses this hotel regularly for our employees when we stay in Konstanz. I was therefore surprised when I went to the hotel, to find the service well below the average level of what I would consider normal for a hotel of this star rating. Let me summarize:

The beds are terrible. Yes, terrible. My mattress was so soft that it was actually more like a hammock... my "behind" was about 20cm lower than the rest of my body and I not only slept very uncomfortably as a result, but woke up with bad back ache every morning. I spoke to reception about this and talked to a very nice man who told me that I am not the first to complain about this, and took me upstairs to show me another room on the other side of the hotel with a much firmer mattress. However, this room was more 30 EUR per night and he called his manager (a woman in her mid to late thirties with blonde hair and glasses who had a very poor attitude and was not friendly) to ask if I could change rooms. She refused unless I paid extra, and when I told her that it was not acceptable to have a room where I could not sleep, she told me that she would have the service staff put a wooden board under my bed. The board arrived but did not help, so I suffered 2 more nights of bad sleep. I did not bother raising the issue with her again, so disgusted was I that a hotel and one of their managers could allow guests to be so uncomfortable.

The nice young man on reception I talked to who originally showed me the other room told me that half of the rooms in the hotel have these soft, older and uncomfortable mattresses (I was in a room number between 315 and 325), while the other half have the firm ones. When I asked why the hotel would not replace the bad ones, and how they could allow what are theoretically the same class of rooms to have such a difference in quality, he could not offer an explanation.

So in summary, the service I experienced at this hotel was very poor, and if my company was not paying for the room I would NOT stay there. I have stayed in many hotels worldwide so I know what good service is, and what bad service is. I am also not a difficult person to please, but quality of sleep is number one on my list of things that are guaranteed to make or break my stay somewhere. I spoke to my colleagues about this and they also said the mattresses they had were not comfortable (they were on the same side of the hotel), and that they are worried by this level of service.

Let me finish by saying that the hotel itself is very nice and has great history. The normal reception staff I talked to were great, it just seems to be the case that they have a bad manager on the front desk who does not care or react to customer concerns. This to me is not acceptable.

I will also be emailing the Steigenberger to ask about this, and will be interested to see what kind of response I get.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on the same side as room 315-325...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank RichZurich
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We enjoyed a 4 night city break between Christmas and New Year here.The hotel is within easy reach of the train station and offers plenty of parking if arriving by car. Every single employee we met and or interacted with, was extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome.
The hotel is beautiful and very unique. Famous quotes, great art and a perfect mix of old and new. Our room was perfect too. Very modern, yet very cosy. It's not a simple bedroom as you find in many hotels, it's rather a mini suite with reading chair, couch etc ...Location is simply perfect as the old town us just in front of you.
We had to check out very early to reach a morning flight from ZRH, so we were provided with a lovely lunch box, filled with good quality and great variety of items.
If we are back in Konstanz we will be back at the Steigenberger.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Where else could you stay on an island in what historically was a monastery and be located so close to a historic city with a wonderful blend of both modern and old buildings. The Insel provides excellent accommodation and a breakfast to satisfy every need. Ideal location for long walks to enjoy the lake and in season ferry trips to many locations around the lake. Warm and friendly staff ensured a wonderful break albeit only a short stay. Will certainly stay again when revisiting the City.

Room Tip: Room 127 overlooking the lake and on the first floor - exceptional.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2013

What a great hotel. Excellent value and a superb location. I would recommend this hotel to anybody. Rooms great. Food good and service second to none.
The hotel restaurant was great for both breakfast and dinner.
The only negative was the car park and lack of free wifi both would be easy to change.

Room Tip: Any room here is good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This former monastery sits on the shores of Lake Konstanz that can be reached from eastern side via ferry boat. What a beautiful way to be introduced to this city that is bike friendly. Our only issue was waiting for the train gates to open before being able to turn off the main road onto this private island that is Steigenberger Inselhotel. Having driven there, the parking is accessable and private.

We enjoyed the outside patio where the service was cordial and the icecream sundae, "heavenly". Our breakfast was first rate in offering all the choices, whether more German fare, such as meats & cheese, plus the eggs could be prepared to order to suit american tastes.

Our bike ride took us to the north one day across the bridge near the hotel and then along a tree-lined path where we discovered wonderful restaurants and a casino. A park near our accomodations was beautiful in its natural state, whereas so many european parks are over manicured.

We enjoyed our stay at the Steigenberger Inselhotel, its location made it easy to walk into shopping and dining locations without having to use our car or taxis. This is a nice value for anyone seeking quiet accomodations with a great staff.

Room Tip: Bodensee side or inner court yard are quiet.........and peacful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple