“Ambiance, Service & Food”
Review of San Martino

San Martino
Ranked #24 of 311 Restaurants in Konstanz
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

To me, the complete dining experience must encompass all elements; ambiance, service and food. San Martino does that quite well.

Located in what may have once been a basement, the ambiance is a pleasant blending of the old stone walls with some well done modern touches. Very nice.

The service was on par with you would expect in a restaurant of this class. The staff appeared to be working as a team since several people were involved.

Although the menu is available only in German, one of the staff will pleasantly translate it and make suggestions. A surprise was a reasonable tapas menu where you may select based on how many people.

As for what you came for, the food, if you came for gourmet quality, they come very close.
The wine list is quite reasonably sized so you can easily select something you will enjoy.
I give it 4 stars as only Micheline can give a 5.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed April 15, 2018

I choose this place purely because of the rather impressive looking website. 1 Michelin star, great menu and fantastic pictures.

The place is located in a great area of Konstanz, very nice ambient and very friendly staff. I was looking forward to a great experience. As said the service was great, very sovereign and professional, smalltalk, a joke and the drinks arrived quick.

The bread, was served with a parsley dressing, which was very nice. Followed by a greeting from the kitchen, a nice gesture and it was pretty tasty.

I ordered the creamy asparagus soup for starters, the Aberdeen Angus filet for main and the chocolate (Malheur) for desert.

The Soup:
I was hoping for a mouth explosion like I experienced in Berlin, however I was fairly disappointed with the rather plain taste of the the asparagus taste. The seasoning could have been better.

The Filet:
Excellent, it was cooked perfect to my request, tender, tasty and a good looking portion. They only part I did not found so amazing was the sauce, it was very watery but the steak was delicious.

The Desert:
That was rather a disaster, I am sorry if I use such a harsh word, but the chocolate cake was too long in the oven and therefore the inside was not melty as expected. Also the table had a little too many taste's on it, the peaches could easy have been left away, there was no value in it.

To complete the evening I ordered an espresso which was served with some excellent nougat that I enjoyed very much. The coffee however was not so fantastic, very high acid which leads to the conclusion it was a capsule automate rather than roasted beans.

All in all it is a decent place to go, the staff is great, nice place and the food is ok. The price from my point of view where good and I would go again to try out the Gourmet menu.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed November 13, 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed lunch here on a nice Saturday. Good tasty salads, very nice pasta and a relatively good wine choice. The service started a little slow ... but then warmed up a lot during the stay. A pleasant experience.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

We had a good dinner. The cooking technique is excellent..the fantasy is not as high..The service is high level

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed August 20, 2017 via mobile

Excellent service, very friendly, food excellent! The restaurant has a cosy atmosphere. You can choose to have a set menu, or choose a la cart. They also have tapas, which is a great idea for sharing. We all left the restaurant, content and happy. There is also a smokers bar which we did not visit, but is apparently very popular. A venue I can strongly recommend, San Martino. We will make a point of going back

Date of visit: August 2017