“Fast Service, Great Atmosphere, Westernised Asian Food”
Review of Karma

Karma
Ranked #40 of 290 Restaurants in Konstanz
Cuisines: Indian, Thai, Singaporean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Karma - experience Singapore in Konstanz! Singapore is the symbol of the resulting fusion of traditional cooking and seasoning tradition of Asia, which are particularly under the influence of Indian, Chinese, Indonesian and Thai cuisine. From these traditions new is created again and again and so we invite you to follow the imagination of our chefs and to learn an absolute variety of tastes know.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My friend and I decided to try this Asian restaurant across from the shopping mall Lago. It was rather late at night, but the restaurant was still packed with couples in all ages.

<Interior>
Refined modern interior in comparison to kitchy Asian restaurants you often find outside Asia. We were seated at the corner by the window because the service staff thought it might be nice for my daughter to sit on the sofa by the window instead of being glued to the child seat. She absolutely loved it!! There were a plenty of cushions to make her seat higher.

<Service>
The service was fast, friendly, and attentive. After we were seated, the waiter never came back. So I had to get the menu myself. The food came in less than 10 minutes.

<Food>
Like in most Asian restaurants in Germany, the food here was creamy and not authentic. Naan was shining with oil, and my noodle was hidden underneath cream bath. If you like to watch your weight even on your important date night, don't go. When you think of it as fusion cuisine, it's quite good!! We enjoyed the atmosphere and proximity to the mall.

<Price>
Since the shoppers from Switzerland jacked up the price in Constance, I thought $15-20 for a dish is quite expensive for German standard. We spent $55 for 2 adults and 1 child.

All in all, I recommend this place only if you don't expect real Asian food but want to enjoy the quick service and lively atmosphere.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Went here on a warm August evening with a few collegues who had recommended the place. The restaurant's outside seating area (I didn't go inside at all) is very nice and cosy, perfect to a Summer evening meal. The pre-dinner drinks were very nice and were served very quickly.
Being used to good authentic Indian food, I was rather disappointed in the food which seemed a bit too "adapted". The "chili indications" of hotness are exaggrerated; everyone used to eating a bit of spicy (not hot) food could easily eat a 2-chili dinner course. The raita and mint sauce were also a bit bland.
My Lamb dish was served prettily with a decoration of flowers but so mild, it didn't taste of much and I counted about 6 small cubes of lamb, the rest was rice.
If you are not into spicy food, this is a good place to go to get a safe taste of Indian style food - however, if you are into proper Indian food, you'll be disappointed.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I went here based on the reviews on TripAdvisor. If you are looking for authentic Asian food and know what it tastes like, you will be disappointed.

We started out with the dim sim which were not anything special. For the main course I had a lamb curry dish which was rather bland and not spicy (two chilis on the menu) and my husband had the Bangkok duck. His dish was also rather bland and not spicy at all.

We will probably not be returning to this place in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

I live near Konstanz, and I really liked the food there, especially the starters platter with many different starters. The last time I went, was the first time we met the manager. He was so rude, that my whole group of friends felt so insulted, we decided never to go back! And it has been almost a year now, we are still boycotting the place.

1  Thank Vero_gonzo
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I went for a meal last weekend. She had heard about Karma from a colleague so we decided to give it a go. It's a 1 hour train ride from Zürich and worth the trip as Konstanz is a pretty little town at the German border with quite a few restaurants and a mall/shopping centre.

To be honest, I was very skeptical because I don't trust restaurant recommendations from Swiss Germans, as with the majority of them, their tastes are extremely limited to overly sweetened, westernized and watered down Asian food.

We were positively surprised with the quality of the experience.

The décor is quite nice, the tables are beautiful wooden frames with brass tops, decorated with colourful folded napkins and brass plates. Pleasing.

The service was not bad eventhough the place was extremely busy with Swiss Germans coming over for a cheaper meal than what they would pay for in their own country (cheapskates!), so we were prepared to calm down and relax. When we ordered our drinks and food, the waiter stood right in front of us and said, I'm sorry, I've forgotten what you just ordered! I found that funny, at least he was honest.

The restaurant says it's a piece of Singapore. I wouldn't be so sure. The menu contains a wide variety of Thai, Chinese and Indian dishes. While Singapore is a lovely blend of Indians, ethnic Singaporeans and Chinese, these dishes were different to what you would expect in Singapore. I suppose the owner, Satish Kumar, is simply trying to provide several Asian cuisines under one roof.

Nevertheless, my wife ordered the Tandoori Chicken Salad main course served with Tandoori roti and I ordered the Chicken Kadhai served with rice. We did not order starters as we observed from other diners that the portions were large. Good idea.

We were both very happy with our food. Not only were the dishes served rather quickly and piping hot, they were delicious. My wife loved her Tandoori Chicken salad which was beautifully presented on a lovely square shallow bowl with a wide variety of greens, veggies and fruits. My Chicken Kadhai was really very good. It tasted home made and truly North Indian. Boy was I surprised! Excellent job chef.

As we did not try any of the Thai/Malay/Chinese dishes, I cannot comment on them. However I can definitely vouch for the Indian dishes. They are the real deal.

Price wise, this place is HALF as expensive as restaurants in Zürich and twice the quality. Seriously, if you live in the Swiss German part of CH, make a trip, it's well worth it. For people who consider it expensive, I'm sure you've never been to Switzerland, London, Paris, Tokyo or New York!

I'll definitely be back as soon as my wife gets the shopping bug, I'll tag along for a curry...