“Fine for an overnight stop.. But some issues..”

Mercure Duesseldorf Neuss
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Neuss
Reviewed November 21, 2012

A refurbished Novotel which is not quite as modern as the new decor might suggest..

Room was nice enough but you could tell its age despite the refurb. Old elevators and bathroom amenities etc. Not as nice as some of the other Mercure's I have stayed in in Germany.

I found the single beds and duvets too small. I booked a double but, as a single traveller, seemed to have been allocated a twin. I also found the room too hot but opening the window led to a too cold draught. There did not appear to be air-conditioning or other ventilation.

The location is pretty convenient to the motorway although finding the hotel wasn't quite straightforward. I found it a little tricky to find first time. It is signposted closer in, but I missed the signposts and the latitude/longitude coordinates from the website didn't lead my satnav correctly..

Once I found the hotel, car parking was a bit of a problem. The slots near the front of the hotel all being taken, the actual hotel car park is around the back, and it is a long way to drag luggage etc.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

The dinning room was closed on the night I stayed, for a separate function. So guests had to use the bar. I had a look at the bar, but didn't find that option appealing and would have preferred the dining room to be available.

I was not warned of this when booking (I think I should have been).

It was too late for me to consider a hotel change.

I don't agree with hotels doing this but I suppose it is a commercial decision.

The function may have also contributed to the car parking issue.

Breakfast was nice enough and the service as friendly.

There are nearby fuel, food and supermarket options.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Juninho_pp
There are newer reviews for Mercure Duesseldorf Neuss

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Located down a little winding lane just off the motorway, the hotel looks like a 1970s construction. However the inside is clean and functional with spacious rooms and modern bathrooms.
Local shopping centre (basics only) is located across the main road at the end of the access lane some 0.4km away.
Free parking.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Mercure_TeamNeuss, Im Auftrag der Direktion at Mercure Duesseldorf Neuss, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Mr. Noll,

First we want to thank you for your review. It is our greatest aim that our guests can spend a relaxing and restful time in our hotel. We are pleased that we have achieved this with you and would be happy to welcome you again.
Until then we remain with kind regards.

Your team of Mercure Hotel DÜsseldorf Neuss

Reviewed September 5, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jaazu
Mercure_TeamNeuss, Im AUftrag der Direktion at Mercure Duesseldorf Neuss, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Located just of the autobahn, we found the location great for breaking our journey between France and Berlin.

The hotel was easy to find and public areas were clean and welcoming. We stayed witha family (2 adults and 2 Teens) and took advantage of accor groups 50% off second room, this is a fantastic idea when the kids are growinf up!

The rooms were comfortable, clean and had good bathrooms. However, they were very hot (ok in January but not in August), had no tea or coffee facilities (is it because we are British) and by far the worse thing (for my son) no free WiFi. I checked there was WiFi in rooms but assumed it would tell me if it had a cost rather than just advertising it as a feature! For a 4* hotel nowdays this is very poor, Novotel offer it (another Accor group company) why not make it standard acroos the whole group?

The restaurant was closed due to a function, but the bar was good and the food served excellent. Breakfast was good and reasonable, if you take the kids eating free into account.

On the whole we were very happy with our stay, but may look for a Novotel next time!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank impawtant
Mercure_TeamNeuss, Im Auftrag der Direktion at Mercure Duesseldorf Neuss, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for great review. We read it with interest and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We always try to offer our guests a comfortable and relaxing visit and we are pleased that we have achieved this with you.

Relating to your point of concern we can offer our guests an upgrade in our business category (surcharge € 15.00 per room) than wifi, minibar drinks and coffee and tea facilities are included.

Nevertheless we hope to welcome you again in our hotel and remain until then with kind regards.

Your team of Mercure Hotel Düsseldorf Neuss

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel during DRUPA in May and I was really wondering why it has 4 Stars. It has been refurbished recently, but if still breaths the 1970s. Especially when you are going thru these incresible aluminium doors with laminated wire glass - I felt like decades ago during my school time.
The room, bath and beds were as expected, not really great but all necessary things available. As others commentators already wrote, a big highway is near to the hotel (hidden behind trees) and so it is not really possible to sleep with an open window.
I also wondered about the missing minibars and the automat with drinks and snacks on a another floor (with prices like in a minibar of course).
On the first morning I had breakfast and wondered why no colleagues of mine came also. The breakfast was fine, the waiters quite attentive but no really specialities available at the buffet. Later this day my fellows (who already stayed some days at this hotel) told me the cost (16 Euro !!!) of the breakfast and so I also decided to wait until being on the fairground to have my coffee and rolls there.
In general this is a nice hotel (when you use a car - the trainstation for the suburban train is approw. 10 min by foot away) but not really in Dusseldorf (as the name suggests). But I would rate it with 3+ instead of 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms far away from the highway and not to the side of the parking lot.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Mercure_TeamNeuss, Im Auftrag der Direktion at Mercure Duesseldorf Neuss, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Mr. Paul,
Thank you for your review. We have read with regret that your stay in our hotel has not completely satisfied. We always try to offer our guests a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

Our hotel has a good traffic connection to Duesseldorf and Cologne, and a certain level of noise can not be avoided. There is the opportunity to book a room on the opposite, quieter side of the building.

Furthermore, we are very sorry that you have viewed our breakfast to be too high-priced. Our pricing is comparable with other hotels in our region. We also want to provide our guests with the highest quality in food and beverage.
Please give us the opportunity to convince you on a return visit from us and our hotel. Until then we remain with best regards

Your team of Mercure Hotel Dusseldorf Neuss

Reviewed August 2, 2012

A nice hotel, with the rooms well laid out. But, when we stayed on Monday night, we found that the restaurant was closed. The bar was serving food, but, unlike the restaurant, is dark, unfriendly, and cramped. (Breakfast in the light and airy restaurant the following morning was lovely). I can’t understand hotels that close the restaurant on certain nights. If they have guests staying, they need to keep the facility open. My biggest criticism is the charge of NINE EUROS for Wi-Fi access. I’m sorry, but in this age of tablets, lap-tops etc., this class of hotel should be providing Wi-Fi free. (It’s as essential as hot water, yet no hotel charges for that!!). I’ve now decided to make free-Wi-Fi a major option in all hotels I book in future. (So, Mercure, follow the lead of your stable-mates, Novotel and Ibis, and start offering it free – I for one will be choosing other hotels in future. If everyone does that, then your business will suffer!). A fridge and kettle in the room would be appropriate for this grade of hotel too.

Though we didn’t use the swimming pool, it looked good. Perhaps some cutting back of the bushes and trees around the pool area would allow more sunshine!

Room Tip: Suggest to the hotel that they offer free Wi-fi.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your assessment and the constructive criticism.

Thanks to your candor, we have the opportunity to enhance our quality always. It is very important to offer all guests a special service. Unfortunately, this is not achieved during your last visit.

In order to avoid future errors of this kind, we will discuss the aspects you mention internal intensive.

Please give us the opportunity to convince you to the contrary and be our guest again.

With best regards

Your team of Mercure Hotel Düsseldorf Neuss

Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed here because we had an early morning flight from Dusseldorf airport, 20 minutes away by car. The rooms are big enough to cater for 2 adults and 2 children. Breakfast served from 6 am was very good. There are 2 simpel restaurants within 15 minutes walking distance. Good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neuss
Swissotel Dusseldorf/Neuss
Dorint Kongresshotel Dusseldorf/Neuss
Holiday Inn Dusseldorf-Neuss
ibis Styles Dusseldorf-Neuss
Mercure Hotel Duesseldorf Kaarst
Hotel Fire & Ice
Hotel Fire & Ice
#4 of 16 in Neuss

Been to Mercure Duesseldorf Neuss? Share your experiences!