“It's a restaurant not a gastro-pub, part of a large chain or owned by Rick 'bloody' Stein”

The Ivy House Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in St Merryn
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Passed this frequently while staying in St Merryn but avoided it at first due to slightly rustic look - I'm a sucker for the focus group generated curb appeal of chain establishment. On a day out however my 2 year old was repeatably asking for spaghetti for tea and all the other places we tried only offered typical junk style children's food. On a whim my wife rang to see what they could rustle up, and luckily the chef said he could do it. I have to say this establishment is a proper restaurant so if you are expecting a 5000 calorie meal you will be disappointed, however your
cardiologist won't be. Portion size is exactly what you would expect to eat for a meal at home - I'm no lightweight but I was satisfied. Returning to my theme, food quality was outstanding. Even the rustled up bolognese clearly wasn't out of a jar - some of the tastiest I have ever had thrown at me (parents among you will understand). For freshly cooked food it arrived quickly and well presented and the service provided most definitely wasn't Fawlty Towers - the previous poster either visited on a one off day or (more likely) was the obnoxious party (I suspect they may have consumed extra portions of Ratler after my conversation with the proprietors). If you visit and don't like the Ivy House ask yourself when was the last time in the UK you actually went to a restaurant, not a gastro-pub, not part of a chain, not a pub that does food or not an Indian - like most people it's probably not that often so try to compare like with like. This place is ideal for adults wanting a non celebrity restaurant experience, less suitable for small children (its intimate inside and you may feel on edge if your children are 'enthusiastic' like mine) but the owners were very accommodating.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

A long old drive from London was made well worth it. Such a little piece of heaven. A beautiful old house, garden, peace and quiet. Close to some lovely beaches and great views of Cornwall.
We ate in the restaurant Friday night and stayed two nights. It was packed both nights. So we were luck to get one evening in. Tasty and healthy food.

If you are heading down to Padstow - for 2 miles - you get peaceful heaven. I'll be going back as soon as I can.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Have tried to eat at the Ivy House on previous visits to Padstow but have always missed out on a table because they were fully booked, not so last week! Our meals were GREAT!!!!! the service was spot on, the steaks were cooked to our seperate (4) orders and the service was first class, had we been staying longer we would certainly have eaten there again. Will most certainly return on our next trip to Cornwall.

1  Thank Ralph L
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We didn`t eat in the restaurant but if the breakfast was anything to go by then we really missed a treat, we were able to choose from 2 rooms and the 1 we ended up with fantastic, spotlessly clean, very roomy and comfortable with an "Olde Worlde" atmostphere, the owners were lovely, friendly and welcoming and we are looking forward to going back in the near future. I read in an earlier review that this is your last year - I hope this is not true, thanks for the added touch of giving us the lovely breakfast on the patio.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We ate here in the summer, and have visited before. The menu never seems to change, and the food is a bit retro. However the food is lovely, but tiny portions, and we come away hungry. Therefore making it overpriced.
The staff do sometimes seem a bit chaotic, but that is part of the charm, and you do eventually get what you ordered. The nick nack areas seem to be a bit dusty, but the overall cleanliness of the place is fine.
Obvioulsy living in the area we have not stayed there, but understand that they have been upgrading their rooms.
The restaurant is quaint an dteh outside area is lovely, shame they dont do lunches and afternoon cream teas, I am sure its the perfect setting for these.

2  Thank Jayne H
AnnabelBennett1234, Owner at The Ivy House Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

I'm sorry you feel this way. Don't worry, because you will be pleased hear that this summer will be our last year. I am very sorry that you are not happy. As far as the cleanliness of the place goes, I have to disagree. The 600 year old house and restaurant is cleaned everyday from top to bottom. I hope that you are a genuine reviewer.