“Excellent Meal at the Ivy House”

The Ivy House Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in St Merryn
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Meal at the Ivy House”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Have tried to eat at the Ivy House on previous visits to Padstow but have always missed out on a table because they were fully booked, not so last week! Our meals were GREAT!!!!! the service was spot on, the steaks were cooked to our seperate (4) orders and the service was first class, had we been staying longer we would certainly have eaten there again. Will most certainly return on our next trip to Cornwall.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Ralph L

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Night at Ivy House”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We didn`t eat in the restaurant but if the breakfast was anything to go by then we really missed a treat, we were able to choose from 2 rooms and the 1 we ended up with fantastic, spotlessly clean, very roomy and comfortable with an "Olde Worlde" atmostphere, the owners were lovely, friendly and welcoming and we are looking forward to going back in the near future. I read in an earlier review that this is your last year - I hope this is not true, thanks for the added touch of giving us the lovely breakfast on the patio.

• Visited June 2013
Truro, United Kingdom
“good food, shame about the portions”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We ate here in the summer, and have visited before. The menu never seems to change, and the food is a bit retro. However the food is lovely, but tiny portions, and we come away hungry. Therefore making it overpriced.
The staff do sometimes seem a bit chaotic, but that is part of the charm, and you do eventually get what you ordered. The nick nack areas seem to be a bit dusty, but the overall cleanliness of the place is fine.
Obvioulsy living in the area we have not stayed there, but understand that they have been upgrading their rooms.
The restaurant is quaint an dteh outside area is lovely, shame they dont do lunches and afternoon cream teas, I am sure its the perfect setting for these.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Jayne H
AnnabelBennett1234, Owner at The Ivy House Restaurant, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
I'm sorry you feel this way. Don't worry, because you will be pleased hear that this summer will be our last year. I am very sorry that you are not happy. As far as the cleanliness of the place goes, I have to disagree. The 600 year old house and restaurant is cleaned everyday from top to bottom. I hope that you are a genuine reviewer.
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent guest house and restaurant”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have been to the restaurant before while travelling in Cornwall and decided to stay at the guest house on this occasion. I have stayed in many hotels and guest houses and the room at the Ivy House was easily the best I have ever stayed in.

The room was beautifully furnished and the bed very comfortable, one of the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. The room had everything you would expect from a guest house and was perfectly clean which is a very important factor for me. The owners are a really nice couple who could not have been more welcoming.

The food in the restaurant was excellent and, like the guest house, very good value for money. The atmosphere of the place is one of peace and comfort and I was greeted by the owners like a friend. I will certainly make this my home from home whenever I am in Cornwall as home is exactly what it felt like.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Jake B
London, United Kingdom
“Very welcoming”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Not sure what happened to the last reviewer but my wife and I have stayed there on many occasions and have always loved our times spend there. The owners and staff can't really do enough for you, are very pleasant and down to earth. The food is fresh from mainly organic produce grown within the grounds and the rooms are spic and span were very comfortable. For my last stay during our anniversary we were treated to some lovely flowers left in our room and a complimentary bottle of champagne , on ice!! Class. Thank you guys, we'll be back.

• Visited September 2012