“Lived up to its reputation - excellent lunch”
Review of The Cornish Arms

The Cornish Arms
Ranked #6 of 17 Restaurants in St Merryn
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Cornish Arms in St. Merryn, offers a simple British pub menu, with dishes like real beef burgers, mussels and chips and scampi in the basket. Expect some of St Austell Brewery's best ales and a great selection of wines. In summer, sit outside in fresh Cornish air and soak up the sunshine with a glass of something cold. In autumn, cosy up by our log fires with some comfort food whilst watching the world go by. We have a large free car park and well behaved dogs are welcome in the pub on their leads and in our large beer garden.
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Rick Stein connection made us visit this pub for a luchtime meal.There was plenty of room and we were told to sit anywhere we chose,the tables are well spaced, and the decor clean and contemporary.

There was a reasonable choice of dishes on the set menu and maybe 3 or 4 specials on the blackboard, two of which were fish. We opted for 2 dishes which we treated as starters, the welsh rarebit and the terrine of pork. Both were pretty tasty,although the two green leaves with the rarebit did not constitute a salad. I ordered the pint of prawns which came with a creamy sauce and 2 rolls and butter, and my wife a dish of mussels with fries, rolls and butter. Both were excellent in terms of quality and quantity. The service was excellent, with polite and friendly smiling staff .( Americano coffee at £3 cup is too much, and as someone who has eaten and made countless welsh rarebits, it had too much mustard and too much balsamic vinegar which made the rarebit sharp and masked the taste of whatever cheese was used - although it was nice).
I asked the waitress if the 'great man' ever visited, and he'd been there that morning, and she also said that his son was the chef who prepared our food. Overall 9.5 out of 10. We'll definitely visit again

Write a ReviewReviews (1,998)

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Visited last Thursday evening (13th) with a group of friends for dinner & beers - an annual holiday fixture! The restaurant gets busy, especially if the weather's not great to sit outside.
The Cornish ales are excellent and so is the service - cheerful and accommodating.
The fish and chips I ordered was a bit of a let down though. The grilled cod was fresh but not cooked through and the chips were lack lustre (not many of them and lots of crispy off cuts/not many proper chips). Tartae sauce was the biggest let down which although homemade was a herby mayo with no gherkins or capers at all! I'd set myself up for fish & chips as a treat and this was a let down. There's nowhere to hide when you get a classic wrong so please try harder for my return visit next year!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Visited last Thursday evening at 5.30 as we had popped in the previous evening at 8pm and it was packed. On learning that they do not take reservations we decided to take no chances! The menu is disappointingly small with the wine list much longer than the food list. There were about 4 specials on the board. We got a table, the staff were friendly and efficient, the food arrived quickly. My grilled sea bass was cooked perfectly. I had asked what it came with and was told "a side salad". It came with a handful of salad leaves, nothing else. Luckily I had ordered a portion of chips, which I shared with my friend, who's fish cakes also came with a handful of lettuce. The chips were very small. My other friend had the scampi & chips in a basket, she said they were nice, but the portion was rather small. Our desserts were good, the chocolate fudge cake luscious and the pannacotta creamy.
All in all it was fine, good service and a good atmosphere, but nothing special, we had just expected a better choice of dishes. Could not fault the Rattler Pear Cider though!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

food is great, beer excellent, dog friendly, lively & atmospheric.
Spend a lovely afternoon there on a horrible raining day

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My family and I have just enjoyed lunch at this establishment.
Everything I have to say was spot on.
The pub has a lovely laid back atmosphere and vibe. The decor is laid back contemporary and comfortable.
The staff made us feel welcome, and were friendly and knowledgeable about everything on the menu.
I had a huge bowl of mussels accompanied by fries and warm bread with butter and a delicious garlic mayo.
My fellow diners had shell on prawns( a pint of ) and thick cut delicious ham, fried egg and chips.
Everything was delicious, piping hot and very well presented.
Everything was hugely enjoyed and really reasonably priced.
Will definitely be back.