“Couldn't of asked for a more perfect Birthday treat.”

Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beamish
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We've just spent 3 perfect nights here and would recommend the hotel to anyone.
I booked the trip for my partners birthday and wanted somewhere that was quiet and relaxing and we certainly got that. The room was huge and the bathroom I've never seen one as big.
We spent quite a few hours in the double jacuzzi sipping champagne and wine.
For a big old building it was lovely and warm and never ran out of hot water like so many times before in other hotels we've stayed.
The Stables bar and restaurant also excellent, and the staff were so helpful and friendly.
I honestly cant think of anything that we didn't like
Will definitely return soon.

Room Tip: If you want a spacious room and en suite I'd recommend the Premier room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from one night on Secret Escapes deal (£70.00 for room with breakfast) we thought this was very good value having stayed twice before - I did phone before going to price an upgrade and was told it would be another £100 on top so we decided it could not possibly be worth paying the extra - little did we know we were given Room 001 - avoid it like the plague - first it was tiny and I was bitterly disappointed on first sight but we decided to make the most and go for a drink - on return my husband just sat on the edge of the bed and it creaked for England - the mattress was extremely thin and pillows very inferior quality for 4 star hotel - there was a heater on my side of the bed which nearly burnt me each time I had to squash past so had to swap sides with my husband - as we had been there a couple of hours we decided not to complain and make the most - well we wish we had yes the bed frames are antique but surely some kind of maintenance could be done on them - you could not even turn over without creaking and groaning from it so romance was out of the question - we had decided that a cheap deal means inferior rooms they could not otherwise sell - but on looking tonite there are still many room in this price range so I really wish we had complained big time - a bitterly disappointing visit on this occasion.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lesley F
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed there during a buisness trip this week. The hotel itself is very nice in impressive grounds. I was given a first floor room somewhere near the middle of the building which ended up being a bit of a treck up and down stairs and through corridors!

The room was huge, with a good level of decor and furniture etc. Plenty of teas, coffees, milks etc with the kettle and a decent iron and ironing board in the wardrobe (which is always good if you have shirts that look like mine when they come out of a suitcase).

Went to the stables bar for dinner and a drink which was excellent!

The only couple of things i would mention is that the bed was too soft for my liking and the heating got a bit noisy in the night but other from that, no worries!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Have eaten here several times and food has always been very good and well-priced. The set menu is great value although (understandably) the a la carte menu is better quality. Have also had a Sunday lunch here and it was far better than standard pub grub. There is also a good selection of real ales and ciders from the attached micro-brewery.

Only complaint would be that the drinks ordered by the table next to us were added to our bill; an issue a friend has also experienced when dining at the Stables. This was instantly rectified but the waitress did not apologise for this. The fact that the staff made a mistake and then did not feel any responsibility to say sorry left us feeling rather offended. However, it would not deter us from visiting again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for my sons wedding day. From the moment we arrived everything was perfect. The staff were attentive and very friendly joining in the fun with the guests. The wedding ceremony was beautiful and the wedding breakfast aferwards was outstanding. The food and service excellent. Everyhing was re arranged quickly for the evening celebration. And again the food was first class. The accommodation and breakfast could not be faulted. It was great having everything in the one place with no worries about transport. I would highly recommend the hotel for a memerable and special wedding.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room at a little extra cost. Room 4 has a huge bathroom with walk in shower and do...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was our first visit to Beamish Hall and although the hotel and location are lovely some things were disappointing. The visit was booked for a birthday surprise for my husband and I emailed the hotel in advance to request a room with a good view - what we got was a ground floor room with a view of the car park! Not the best start.

The room itself although not spacious was spotlessly clean but I have to agree with Captain Amnesia_248's comments. My husband is also 6 ft tall and struggled with the bed length, bathroom door and shower height so if you are tall -beware.

However it was the noise which spoiled our stay the most. The floorboards creaked which in an old building is to be expected but what we didnt expect was being kept awake most of the night by the racket from other guests in the corridors, the surrounding rooms and above. In particular we did not appreciate the bedroom antics from the couple in the room above us - not very conducive to a restful nights sleep! Perhaps the hotel should hand out ear plugs to guests on arrival....... When we complained the next day the receptionist simply said 'oh yes that's happened to me before and its awful isnt it?' and that was that. Whilst I appreciate that this is something outside their control I felt they could have handled it better.

The breakfast choices were more than ample and the service was efficient and friendly.

We had a short tour of the micro brewery and then dinner in the Stables which I had pre-booked as part of the package and we really enjoyed. The staff there were very friendly and helpful both in the bar and the restaurant. We especially liked the cosy bar area where you could sit and relax beside the wood burner and for the summer there is a nice area outside to sit and enjoy a drink.

Overall we did enjoy our stay and would return but would ask for a high floor and maybe take ear plugs just in case!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so you dont have to listen to the people above you walking about (or anything e...
1  Thank spikeylass
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was our 6th visit to the hall and every time I leave a little more disappointed.

We have booked our Christmas party in a private dining room for 5 years and whilst the event cannot be faulted it's all the little niggles that spoil it.

When we first started using Beamish the accommodation was always fantastic; large rooms, large bathrooms and fantastic views. However, contrast that with this years room supposedly of the same standard. The bed was too short for my husband to lie fully stretched out in, at 6' 2" I would hardly call him a freak of nature but every bed in the hotel (and we've stayed in 6 different rooms) has a footboard on. We did ask reception about this and were told the furniture in the hotel was antique and unfortunately all the beds were like this. The door into the bathroom was under 6 feet in height so he had to duck every time he used it. The shower was over the bath so again he couldn't stand up full height in the shower.

Another thing we have noticed is that the first few years we were there after our party was over and we were asked to vacate the room for the staff to set up for a wedding the following day, we were asked to retire to the residents lounge where we could order another drink or two while we chatted into the wee small hours. However, we haven't been able to order another drink for a few years now with reception citing a lack of staff and this year we were asked to sit the foyer which was cold and lacking in atmosphere.

This is a four star hotel and I would have expected a better standard.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beamish
Beamish Park Hotel
9 mi away
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Travelodge Washington A1 M Northbound
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!