“Your bath shouldn't be bigger than your bed!”

Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beamish
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our room was ground floor and on a corner so we didn't experience the noise that some of our party had to endure. The bathroom was HUGE! A massive double bath and walk-in shower. The room was big, nicely decorated and furnished well though I would rather have had a dressing table that I could have sat at to dry my hair and do my make up than the huge chest of drawers with a halogen spotlight over. There were 4 chairs in a double room which seems odd but the room was very nice. The only thing letting the room down was the bed. Whilst the mattress was comfortable the bed itself felt tiny. Now, I'm a big girl and my hubby is tall so a small bed with a foot board is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure 'normal' folk would be fine but it wasn't fun. Breakfast was a little disappointing; anemic bacon, cold plates and overcooked eggs but I've had worse. Most outstanding element, by a long chalk, were the staff. They were friendly, helpful and a delight to deal with.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding. Hotel is lovely and the grounds. We booked a twin room by accident but that wasnt an issue for us. We have a 3 month old baby which we stated when we booked. When we checked in we were put on the first floor which was a nightmare to get to when you have a pram. Stairs all the way up to the room once you have got out of the lift. I did complain but was advised the hotel was full but surely when people book rooms they should assess this and try and place people with kids on the bottom floor. At least ones with young babies.

Our room was lovely and the bathroom was lovely and big.

Food well that was another problem. On the Saturday i only ate the wedding meal and by Sunday morning was very ill. 5 days later im still ill which I suspect was food poisioning. I spent all my time being sick all the way back home the next day. I am vegetarian and my partner isnt but he shared half my starter and he was also ill.

Overall nice hotel but pity about the food,

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here for the weekend whilst attending a wedding..It is a beautiful setting for a wedding and the venues used were very inviting and attractive. The food too was excellent. Our bedroom however, room 106, was really disappointing. It was so small and the walls must be so thin, as I was awake most of the night listening to the snoring coming from the room next door! Other rooms however were vast, so you need to request a large or small room depending on your preference. Close by is the best museum I have ever been to and discounted tickets are available through the hotel.

Room Tip: Discuss room size and location of room when you book.
2  Thank sunflower003
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I got taken here for my birthday earlier this year - my other half surprised me by taking me to beamish - a favourite from my childhood (and even better now!!)
It was a wonderful surprise, and the 2 days we spent around the area were just lovely.
The hotel itself was a slight dissappointment. Its a grand building, and has some lovely areas, however we felt the bedroom let the hotel down.
The room was huge - my other half had paid to upgrade to a superior room as it was my birthday - but it was sparce. There was so much empty space in the room, that it didnt feel homely.
The furniture in the room was very old and rickety - espcially the bed. The bed was large,
but had a huge foodboard. The matress wasnt thick enough for this bed. The huge footboard also meant you couldnt see the TV from the bed! We didnt plan to watch much TV, but we did end up going back to our room earlier than we had hoped, so it would have been nice to be able to see it. I ended up opening up the mirrored wardrobe door and watching the tv in the mirror - the TV was also one of the huge old style TVs, placed on a rather flimsey table - if that fell on someone, it could do some serious damage. Only a minor point, but a point all the same.

Now the bathroom was a different story - by far the best bathroom we have ever come across in a hotel - it was clearly brand new, with a jacuzzi bath, huge separate shower etc - it did really make up for the room.

If they could just spruce up the room a bit, it would be great! They could do with spending a little bit of money on the rooms, as they could be so luxurious without spending a huge amount - a new matress for one, and a new TV! Re arrange some of the furniture!

Dinner was fine - it was pub grub (which you dont expect at a hotel such as this - you expect at least a proper restaurant) - i had fish & chips - the chips were fried several times, but it was fine. It was also tipping it down when it came for us to go to dinner, which was a downer.

Breakfast was nice - served in the hotel, usual hotel breakfast really.

Beamish the next day was cracking! This hotel really is a great base for those visiting Beamish as its so close.
We would come back to here if we were visiting Beamish again, but we wouldnt pay to upgrade. We wouldnt stay unless we were visiting Beamish.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Reece86
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We attended the wedding of my wife's friend and from start to finish had a great time.The main reason for this were the staff who from the moment we arrived to the moment we left were polite, courteous, willing to help and cheerful.-Nothing was a problem.Yes we got a small bedroom with a big bathroom-that's the chance you take with the odd shape of the stately home(think ours used to be the servants quarters) but the day was brilliant, the night was better and breakfast cured the mother of all hangovers-Would go again(and again).

Room Tip: Ask before you book as some rooms are a lot smaller than others
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We got the booking at this hotel via an Hotels.com deal at 40% off the normal room price so got our stay at about the same price as we would expect to pay at an average B & B. The setting was superb and we had a front room overlooking the well kept and extensive gardens. The hotel was very quiet at night, an ideal way to get a good nights sleep. The room was pleasant and well maintained, the only downside was that there was no shelf space in the bathroom to keep shower etc items in there. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, very informed on local issues and from the accents if was evident that many local people were employed there rather than them relying on imported staff. Breakfast was good and the food well cooked & plentiful, the only negative being that the continental selection was quite small. This wasn't a problem to us, but may be to others.

Room Tip: Depends on your preference but we asked for a quiet room.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed with some family members at the Beamish Hall Hotel in October.

On arrival we drove up the long driveway to approach the stunning building. The grounds are amazing! Check in was friendly and efficient (2 standard single rooms and 1 standard double). All the rooms are decorated in the same style but the sizes very much vary due to the age of the property. My single room was a good size and decorated to match the age of the hotel, the bathroom was huge! The other rooms were lightly smaller with smaller bathrooms so I guess its look of the draw.

We ate in the Stables restaurant which has a gastro pub type feel. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced.

The following morning we had breakfast which was cooked to order and of a very good standard. There was also a beautiful view of the gardens where we were sitting.

The only down side I would say to this hotel is that the rooms arnt very sound proof which can be a little distracting in the night and they were quite hot.

Overall this is a lovely hotel which I wouldnt hesitate to recommend!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jenny L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beamish
Beamish Park Hotel
Beamish Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Marley Hill
Lumley Castle Hotel
Lumley Castle Hotel
#5 of 18 in Durham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle South Hote...
#43 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth

Been to Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!