“Give this a miss....” 1 of 5 bubbles

Beamish Museum
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Beamish
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Robina, Australia
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Give this a miss....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

Arrived here in pouring rain & asked car park attendant if it was worth a vist. At first he said "No" then changed his mind & said to go & see someone inside. We did & was told there was plenty of shelter & anyway the rain was clearing up by 11am. Well it not only rained all day but was blowing a gale & 7 degrees so miserable as there is very little shelter. Trams move people between places which means at all times even though there were not many people in the place it seems very congested. We went in a few places and each time it was hard to see anything for crowds. Hate to think what it would be like on a crowded sunny day. The Sweet Shop was full all the time & when we did manage to get to the back to watch the sweet making there wasn't a demonstation for over an hour. We were cold and hungry and the 3 eating places weren't coping at all and one was outside (? in that climate). We went to the one by the entry and everything we asked for was sold out, in the end we had toasted tea cakes (apparently they were the last ones) and hot chocolate which was 1/2 a cup and like mud. The entry to Beamish was very over-priced and so was the food. People near us had sandwiches that were 'off' and hot food that was frozen in the middle. In the end we all went to Management & complained, after seeing 3 people we finally got to see someone to listen to us all. In the end they refunded our food costs and when pushed into it also our entry fees and we left. I think to build a place in the open with little or no shelter in that climate is madness. The only places to sit were outside and the wooden seats were covered in mould! If they want to know how to do things properly they should visit Sovereign Hill in Victoria, that is so much better. Even the shops at Beamish need a good clean as a lot of things are dusty, I know they are old but don't have to be dirty. We took my cousin who is a local and she was horrified it was so awful. They need more shelter for rainy days, maybe even umbrellas for patrons to borrow, review their transport system, clean up their shops and sack all the catering staff!

6 Thank Ann C

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“OK But Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2007

I visited Beamish Open Air Museum in May 2007 so luckily it was fairly quiet - I would imagine at times it can be manic! The museum is not too bad although I would say very expensive for what is there. The whole museum is spread out and you can travel from each section on one of the trams and do a complete circular tour (be warned some of the walks are steep in places!) and if busy once you have to keep queing for trams this could well take up half the day! The main areas are the mining village complete with school and church as well as little cottages and the centre of the museum is the main street - this does look very realistic and the old fashion sweet shop is well worth a visit! The main tea rooms here are a lot larger than you would expect (as they look from outside) and the food is excellent - I tried the Roast Beef Stottie which was HUGE!

As a whole I would say that Beamish is worth a visit if you have never been before but the entrance price is on the steep side for what is there.

2 Thank jcroo65510
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“The best museum in the UK!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2006

Beamish Open Air museum is amazing! I first went there in Primary school and now make a yearly pilgrimage at the very least to the museum! Everytime enjoying it as much if not more than my first Beamish experience. Its educational and interesting. The staff are fab, they are very friendly and make you almost believe in your surroundings. School trips, if you are ever lucky enough or have been lucky enough to experince are the ultimate experience...you really do feel as though you have stepped back in time, but equally the family experince is enjoyable. The sweetshop is fantastic and the fun fair when it is there is always a good laugh!
If you haven't already been here you should go because I doubt very much you will be disappointed. Even for those not fond of the whole museum thing! Its for you too!
I think this museum is definitely one of my favorite all time family/ school trips, and it is perfect for anyone who takes the "I wonder what life was life?" approach to the study/interest in history1

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Best museum in Britain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2006

Absolutely love this museum! There is none better tha Beamish! First time I went I was in Primary School and I return at the very least yearly. School trips are amazing. You feel almost as though you live there! Everyone at the museum is very friendly and very believeable and the sweetshop is amazing! For anyone with an interest in the Victorian period who takes a "I wonder what life was like?" approach to their study/interest in history...theres nowhere else quite like Beamish for you!

Somerset UK
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“Good but not cheap”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

First of all they need to do something about the entry system. Although we only had about a 15 minute wait we heard coach drivers asking and complaining about the changes that had been made.

We too thought it was expensive for the visitor from outside the NE whereas the ticket options for locals were far better. Of all the things we saw and visited on our 2 week stay in Durham, Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland it was by far the most expensive.

Having said all this it was very interesting; we especially liked the mine and the masonic lodge. A weekend in school summer holidays is not the best time to go but nevertheless we still enjoyed it.

1 Thank WaltR