“Sadly gone downhill.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Horse Beamish

Black Horse Beamish
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Beamish
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set in stunning countryside the Black Horse Beamish boasts its own of on site gardens and orchards, offering a rare "field to plate" dining experience. Nestled within the Beamish Conservation Valley just minutes from the famous Beamish Museum and Tanfield Railway, the Black Horse Beamish secretly resides itself. Beautifully restored this 300 year old pub retains all of its charm and atmosphere, welcoming you with its open fires, flag stone flooring, and a clever mix of eclectic furniture. The bar is well stocked with delicious real ales and fine wines. The kitchen makes use of the estate's generous 33 acres, boasting paddocks, orchards, vegetable and herb gardens to stock the kitchen pantry with the freshest produce. The setting couldn't be more idyllic with the spectacular panoramic views, the historical fabric of the building, and with resident Red Kites flying overhead, all within an unbelievable 15 minutes drive from Durham city centre and Newcastle city centre. The menu changes regularly according to what is available in the garden along with the timeless classics that are always available such as the Beef and Bombardier Pie with Red Row Vegetables and Beer Battered Cod Fillet and Hand Cut Chips. As well as offering exceptional quality food and drink, and an idyllic setting in which to relax, Black Horse Beamish also hosts a variety of entertainment and events throughout the year. The Orchard Marquee at Black Horse Beamish is one of the few permanent marquees in the North East and offers a bespoke grand venue, giving the chance to add a personal touch, creating your ideal completely unique experience. Offering high spec facilities, this versatile space can be transformed according to your requirements. It is an idyllic setting for weddings, banquets, celebrations, concerts, fashion shows, charity balls, award ceremonies and larger corporate events.
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
“Sadly gone downhill.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I've been to The Black Horde quite a few times, and although its out of our way, we often go back as the place itself is beautiful, with a fantastic outdoor seating area and outside bar. Here is also a beautiful orangery which is where we usually ask to sit. Today though, it was closed off.
The menu was very sparse, and a complete change to previous exciting fares. There was very little that took my fancy so opted for pâté for a starter, and burger for my main.

I had a lovely chilled glass of Pinot Grigio, and was quickly presented with my starter. The pâté was tasteless, presented with one bit of green garnish and two tiny bits of Melba toast, I had to ask for more otherwise I'd have been eating pâté with a spoon.

I had to ask for another drink, despite only two other tables being booked.

My burger was 'ok', but at £9.95, I expected more, and have had far nicer food at the same establishment.

When my husband finished his drink, no one came over go ask if he would like a re-fill, showing the service standards as well as the food have slipped.

All in all, an expensive but mediocre lunch in what used to be a firm favourite. This is a shame, as it really is a glorious place for a summertime afternoon.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jo L

Durham, United Kingdom
“Poor service ruined a good meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We took friends who were visiting fir Sunday lunch. We had booked and our table was ready straight away. We were given a menu then asked what drinks. No drinks menu just what was on at the bar we were told. We asked for the wine menu which we got. Then we ordered starters and mains and the food came quite quickly and through wine was served promptly. When it came to the main course we had to point out to the waiter we needed cutlery. I had gone for the lamb, it was ok but only a couple of slices of lamb for £10. I was expecting more. Massive Yorkshire pudding though, but it was a bit dry. Someone on our table had the fish and chips which looked the best option. Then after clearing the plates away we waited for some time to order puddings the restaurant was becoming quieter but we were getting ignored. We told them we were goingto sit out side in the sun, still no menu so I had to go and ask for them and then go in and order. We ordered puddings and coffee. The puddings came they had forgot the puddings then only brought two we wanted 3. Then we gadgets to ask for milk to go with a cup of tea. Just poor service sell round the food was good starters and puddings better than the main. But when the meal for four starter main pudding one bottle of wine and coffee each was £ 100. Then I told them something was added yo the bill they just took it off but never apologised for it. The place it's self is very nice lovely location great views.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rmg95
Durham, United Kingdom
“A very average experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

WE had heard some lovely comments regarding The Black Horse, however we found it just average, and I do mean just...
The choice was very limited, however we decided to go with a 'last minute' special (Beef Wellington) - which afterwards we each agreed was probably left over from a wedding reception that was going on. That reception looked lovely and in no way impacted on our experience.
The Starters were lovely although some scant offerings of an attempt at Melba Toast, the main courses were disappointing as two of the four of us had the Beef Wellington Special - which certainly did not contain a fillet.
Desserts and cheese were OK. Although repeated requests went unfulfilled and it seemed hard to buy additional drinks and extra items - rather odd ....

So on the whole the quality of the food was.....OK at best.

I do however wish to make special mention of two members of staff. An absolutely charming young lady (with purple hair), who was, when we caught her eye, was very attentive, helpful, appeared genuinely interested in our table and utterly charming. Unlike however a middle aged lady (sorry didn't manage to get any name) who repeatedly interrupted our conversations, and absolutely came across as rude, and certainly appeared genuinely uninterested in our experience. She managed to, unanimously within our table, put us all off from coming again. I find that a terrible shame, as if we had more service from the 'purple haired' young lady, and less from the more senior lady we would be prepared to give it another try.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Utterly dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a place we used to come to when it first re-opened. What have they done!?

We visited this evening as it is a sunny day. The staff in their don't care, the place appears to be understaffed and everything appears to be a problem for them. Its not that they were rude, but they were just not friendly. Service was slow also.

However, this place touts itself as somewhere for fine food. Honestly, this wasn't even run of the mill. We asked if we could get half portions for the kids of some adult meals and were told 'no' and none of the childrens meals were appealing - they were run of the mill 'chicken nuggets'. So we opted for the safe option of pizza (charged at adult prices) and I'm not sure how you can get pizza so wrong, but they did.

Anyway, I don't want to waste any more of my time but it seems I'm not alone after reading some of the other reviews. This place seems to be hit or miss and the fact that they obviously can't get the consistency right shows just where they are. I will NEVER eat here again

1 Thank Luke P
“Beautiful place, beautiful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

After hearing good reviews from friends and family, me and my wife decided to see what the fuss was all about here, you walk in to a stunning old fire place with a sort of country cottage feel to it, that is until you walk into the restaurant with a lovely sort of conservatory at the back. From the minute we walked in we were made to feel welcome the staff were very friendly and attentive making us feel at home from the moment we walked in. I had the steak and ale pie with creamy fluffy mash and veg and my wife had the chicken with bernaise sauce and hand cut chips. Delicious, so often in restaurants these days you see a bowl full of sauce and a pastry lid on top, not here it was beautiful me and my wife will certainly be going back as it's not too bad value for money for what you get and as we left the chefs even said thankyou.

• Visited April 2013