“Fantastic Spearfishing”
Review of Palapas Ventana

Palapas Ventana
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in La Ventana
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I visited Palapas Ventana over New Years for a week long spearfishing trip. My friend and I flew into Los Cabos and took a two-hour cab ride up the Baja to arrive in La Ventana. In addition to arranging the cab, Tim (the owner of Palapas), also planned out an amazing 7 day trip for us on the Pacific coast. We only stayed at the resort for the first and last night, which was beyond beautiful, but the rest of the nights were spent in remote villages and an island on the Pacific.

Tim arranged for a guy named Stan to guide us around while we were there. Stan was the best guide I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I consider myself a beginner spearfisher who takes a trip each year just to stay connected with the sport. I probably asked more questions than your typical client and Stan answered every one without hesitation. I gained quite a lot of experience and with Stan's advice I was even able to double my diving depth and down-time by the end of the week. Once we arrived back at the lodging for the night, Stan would hang out with us to watch GoPro videos of the days catch. It was a great way to critique my own techniques and I was truly impressed with Stan's willingness to give advice, even after the fishing day was over.

Every day we went to 3-5 new locations. I don't think we speared the same spot twice and nearly every place we went held fish. Along with bagging some nice grouper, snapper, triggers, yellowtail and halibut, we were able to swim with sea lions, turtles and whales. It was truly the best diving that I have ever done in my life.

I plan to go back to Palapas this year for another trip filled with different species of fish. I don't doubt that Tim will give us the same level of care that we received last time. I highly recommend this resort if you want to land some nice fish and have a great time. You won't find a more hospitable staff or more beautiful views anywhere.

-Vince

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Vince L

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We have been going to Palapas Ventana usually twice a year for 7 years mainly to kitesurf. We have checked out most of the other lodging choices in La Ventana and this is our favorite lodging hands down. For kiting it is ideal, good uncrowded launch with great support staff who will drive you upwind for a downwinder if you desire. The casitas are very comfortable with good views. The food is excellent!! Most importantly the staff is wonderful. The activities are only limited by your energy; kiting, SUPs, kayaks, snorkeling, fishing, scuba, spearfishing, the most amazing whalewatching trips we have ever done, snorkeling with whale sharks, local hikes etc. Go as a guest, come back as a friend, we are heading back for another 2 week trip this month.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank docjibe
Reviewed January 27, 2014

SO we booked on the advice of friends, and SO happy we did. Palapas Ventana was a perfect choice - the staff were amazing, always geniunely happy to be there and willing to do whatever it took to make our stay as perfect as possible. The location was also ideal - an easy walk down the beach to wherever you want. The wind was strong and consistent about half the days we were there, so got our fill of kiting (launch on the property, beautiful waterfront). The other half was time for relaxing, and they booked us a snorkeling trip - with whale sharks. Seriously.

And i didnt realise it at the time, until i got back to the city - I haven't slept so well in ages. There is complete silence except for the flow of the waves on the beach to fall asleep and wake up to. Pardise.

What are you waiting for?

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VanMan201
Reviewed January 26, 2014

STRONG, GLORIOUS, FUN, AND FRIENDLY! Great for all types of people and when you depart after your trip you’ll leave with friends from all over the world. If you like to kite surf, paddle board, real & spear fish…. Get down to Palapas Ventana for a good time and I’ll see ya there!

SPEEDO 1 OUT!!!!

Room Tip: On the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Kitesurf24
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Working with the Palapas Ventana team prior to, and throughout my stay, truly made for an awesome trip. The high level of professionalism and genuine friendliness I received from every member of the Palapas Ventana team was unlike any other charter company I have ever encountered. Tim (the owner) and his team were extremely helpful when planning the trip; therefore, upon our arrival we had absolutely nothing to worry about, or any surprises - everything was as advertised, and better!!

Our personal guide for the week long trip to the Pacific was Stan "the man", who was absolutely fantastic, and is now my new best friend. Whether it was fishing or accommodation related, Stan exceeded my expectations with regards to making sure we had a good time and were comfortable. Throughout the week long trip, Stan maintained a very positive attitude, high llevel of enthusiasm, and worked very hard to ensure we had a trip of a lifetime. Over the course of the week, we caught a lot of very nice grouper, snapper, yellowtail, and miscellaneous reef fish; however, it is the knowledge that Stan shared about fishing and freediving that really made the lasting memory.

During the week long trip along the Pacific coast, we stayed in some very remote, and unbelievably beautiful locations; nonetheless, the food was out of the world delicious! Fresh fish we caught, lobster tails, ceviche, sishimi, etc.; all of which was prepared by local cooks, which allowed us to enjoy the best Mexican food one could imagine.

Palapas Ventana is a top notch resort and spearfishing charter. Anyone looking to have a spearfishing trip of a lifetime, look no further than Palapas Ventana. I plan on returning to Palapas Ventana again in the near future; hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank DrewCuellar
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Wow, I can't say enough great things about Palapas Ventana! Great location with cute, clean casitas, all with ocean views and just steps from the beach. Located in the mid-north end of the bay, so it's still close to the action (easy walk down the beach) but a bit quieter and secluded. I was there for a kiteboarding trip, and there is a nice launch right out front, with equipment lockers down at the beach for all your gear. The restaurant serves tasty fresh catch of the day and yummy mango margaritas. But I think their biggest asset is the Staff. From day one they treat you like family and go out of their way to make sure your stay is wonderful. Everyone seems so happy to be working there, and it shows. They love to have fun and interact with the guests in a way that makes you want to extend your stay indefinitely! I am looking forward to staying there again and enthusiastically recommend Palapas Ventana to anyone heading down La Ventana way!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cherie C
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed at Palapas Ventana for two weeks over Christmas and had an awesome kiteboarding trip. I stayed there last Christmas too, and I noticed that I was one of many return customers. Palapas is a wonderful place to stay. The staff are friendly and helpful, the food is great, the accommodations are clean and comfortable, and the price is affordable. The beach vibe there is a friendly and relaxed mixture of kiters, windsurfers, kids building sandcastles, pelicans, and fisherman. They will take you up to the Hotsprings for a downwinder if you want, which is loads of fun, and a great way to practice some new skills. They had 2 very competent and friendly kiteboarding instructors, and it was fun to see the people taking lessons getting stoked about kiting. There are many other options here for non wind activities such as kayaks, SUPS, and snorkeling. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
#5 of 8 in La Ventana
Hotel Club Cerralvo
Hotel Club Cerralvo
#1 of 3 in El Sargento

Been to Palapas Ventana? Share your experiences!