“Ventana Bay Resort is my fishing destination!”
Review of Ventana Bay Resort

Ventana Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in La Ventana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just back from my 4th stay at Ventana Bay Resort. I have fished all over Baja for 15 years and I discovered this jewel several years ago. For fishing the La Paz area I used to stay in La Paz and endure the brutal 45 minute drive each way to get to my favorite fishing grounds and have dried up burritos for breakfast, fish on Pangas with no sun shade, and then bounce around in the van on the way back to the hotel. I was beat up at the end of the day to say the least.

Now I enjoy my bungalow with a view of Isla Ceralvo, stroll down to the restaurant at 5:30 for a full breakfast with hot coffee, pick up my lunch, nice sandwich on fresh bread, fruit, snack, and drinks, and then meet my Panga Captain in front of the resort on the beach. I am fishing in a few minutes after getting on the Panga.

Returning in the afternoon, I leave my fish with Fabio who cleans them, vacuum seals and freezes the fillets for my trip home. We keep a few fillets for dinner. The resort can provide dinner but we usually end up at Las Palmas where they cook the fish to perfection.

The bungalows are very, very clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated in Baja style. AC works great, I have drinking water furnished, a small refrigerator in the room for cold beer, and WI-Fi access for my Ipad or computer so I can post my biggest catch of the day on line to make my friends jealous.

On our day off we can enjoy a kayak, SUP, snorkeling, or biking. The resort has all the equipment. They specialize in kite-boarding during the winter months and Mr. Bill is trying to build up his fishing season clientele and is offering great deals to bring in more people.

One tip - you gotta make it to the town of El Triunfo and eat at Café El Triunfo. Some of the best food in Baja - pulled pork sandwich on fresh baked bread is one of my favorites.

The area is definitely Baja! No bars, no loud music, no nightlife, just the serenity of the old Baja! First time I had ever seen a Cardinal in Baja.

I'll be back in October for some tuna fishing!!! See ya soon Bill and Dari.

Here is a link to some of my pictures -

Room Tip: Bungalows are great but the rooms are very nice also. You can't go wrong with either choice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bajajurel

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is becoming an annual pilgrimmage. Just came back from my latest visit to Ventana Bay Resort. I took my daughter along this year for her first visit and she loved it! She stayed in her own private bungalow next to mine. The view from both our bungalows is spectacular! We weren't lucky enough to spot a whale this year but Tony, the resort manager had seen one swim by very close to shore a couple of days before we got there. Did get to see a few Dolphins swim by. Meals as usual were excellent. I caught a 35 lb. Yellow Tail which was Barbequed that night. Delicious! Had dinner a couple of evenings at a local restaurant which serves great Mexican food and according to my daughter, a pretty good old fashioned Hamburger as well. Our hosts Bill and Dari were very gracious and accomodating as always although a littl tired after a busy winter season. The kite boarders were out in force three days out of the week and it's great entertainment watching them skim along the surface with their colourful kites! Next year I'm taking lessons for sure. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday (this is not Cancun) and possibly some fishing, mountain biking, hiking, kite boarding or wind surfing go to El Sargento and stay at the Ventana Bay Resort. Exellent!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Don F
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed for 5 days at the Ventana Bay. La Ventana is not a destination for everyone. Virtually all guests were involved in a sport and most in kiteboarding. If your definition of "extreme" sports is just hanging on a zip line, look elsewhere. AIso, this is not a place for nightlife or shopping. I came to LV primarily to kiteboard and secondarily to ride my bike. The resort is surrounded by well cared for succulents and the resort is right on a beautiful beach. The buildings and rooms are carefully and cheerfully decorated. We opted for a room right on the beach instead of one of the bungalows. The equipment available for rent is in good-excellent condition. My wife got the sports package and used the SUPs (excellent condition) and the MTBs (good condition), i.e., could use some maintenance. The MTB was functional after just a little tune-up. I also rented a kite harness because I forgot mine at home. The included food, i.e., breakfast and lunch, was well prepared and nutritious. On some nights dinner is offered. Though we did not partake, other guests stated that the four course meal was quite good. At $25PP, it is relatively expensive for Mexico. The major downside to our stay was that I had anticipated having a kite instructor on site. Because the resort's instructor broke his femur and a replacement was not found, I ended up being set up with Ventana Xperience. The instructor from VX was very good but the hourly rate was approximately twice that of the resident resort instructor, and added considerable expense to our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard D
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Ventana Bay Resort could be accused of serving a narrow niche, but if you are in that place, it is perfection! Mr. Bill has gone to great effort to build a quite and peaceful zone while the community has grown to become a real hot spot for vacation, kiting and fishing. Just down the street there are great rowdy hangouts, but come home to a tranquil locale. This is the place where you can sleep in and just chill and read on the patio. But when the wind blows, the kiting rocks! A good launch in at the windiest part of the bay and plenty of knowledgeable kiters around to help you get safely on the water. The bay is one of the safest places to learn kiting I know. The hotel features rooms, casitas and private homes available for rent, all with the amenities of the resort. It isn't all about kiting either, the resort is a favorite for non kiters because of the quiet and relative shelter from the wind. Non kiting spouses will like the fact that they have options and are so immersed in 24/7 kiting culture that they can't get a break. Good biking in the area (Bill rents bikes), SUP, fishing, diving, kayaks. We have been kayaking with the dolphins and seen whales from the shore. This place is sure to please all.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scot D
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I went to Ventana Bay together with our one and a half year old daughter and loved every minute of our stay. Everybody was so nice, the food wonderful, and the wind was blowing most days. We will stay at VBR again when going back and can wholeheartedly recommend you do so too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2012

En route home from our week at VBR. My husband would prefer I NOT write a review, so that this place can remain our little secret, but the folks at VBR worked so hard throughout our stay I must tell you all how wonderful this little resort is. If you are considering La Ventana / El Sargento for your getaway - THIS is your place.

Thank you Bill, Dari and Antonio for taking care of all of our needs and making our stay so fabulous, and thank you to the entire staff for the amazing food and loving care. We will be back - hopefully there will still be space available for us.

Liz & Scott

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was here to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and we were both extremely pleased with our choice. The resort is very exotic with beautiful Mexican Casita overlooking the sea of Cortez. The atmosphere was very cool and simply perfect for us.

The staff and owners were extremely nice and courteous. They even made us a special private dinner directly on the beach one night. We took most meals at the resort and everything was good. The village a few good restaurant typically Mexican and very good also.

The sporting equipment available on the premises and included in the different packages offered (Kite,Windsurfing, Kayak ,Mountain bike,etc) is first class and in very good shape. I recommend the excursion in La Paz, to go swim with the whale-shark. My impressions are that this place is perfect for couples and especially for those who kitesurf…… I would not recommend this for the younger crowd or singles looking to party, has there are no particular night life in La Ventana….

We will definitely be back.

Patrick (December 2012)

Room Tip: The rooms are good but the private Casida's (bunbalows) are special and unlike what I have seen...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in El Sargento
Villa Paraiso
Villa Paraiso
#5 of 8 in La Ventana

Been to Ventana Bay Resort? Share your experiences!