“Avoid this place!”

Palace Backpackers Hervey Bay
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed at palace because we had booked a trip to Fraser Island with them and it was the worst hostel I went to during my stay in Australia. There are thieves at night, bed bugs, the kitchen was disgusting, no clean kitchen utensils, the oven of my unit was broken, so was the boiler, the light was broken in the toilet, ... this place is FILTHY!

For our trip to Fraser, a member of the staff had to take us to the supermarket before we left for our trip. She must have been 18, had no freaking idea what she was supposed to do, drove very badly, and later, refused to come fetch a part of our group from the supermarket although it was pouring rain!

Then the trip to Fraser Island itself was just as bad. Except from our guide Jeffrey who was adorable, two of our cars broke down while on the island, we got stuck in a creek for a whole morning because they couldn't get us another car, then we spend the whole afternoon at the motel (the campsite was flooded so we had to pay 50$ for a motel). We wasted a whole day because of Palace's bad organisation. Then the manager said we had broken the car ourselves which was beyond ridiculous...

I could go on like that for hours, just don't go to Palace!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank apple-shine
Palace_Backpackers, Manager at Palace Backpackers Hervey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Dear apple-shine,

Thankyou for your online review. Since your stay with us early March, we have made improvements to the hostel to address many of the cleanliness and maintenance issues you mentioned, and are continuing to schedule major hostel renovations so we can ensure a quality stay for all those who have stayed with us since, and into the future.

We are apologetic for any inconvenience caused whilst on tour to Fraser with Palace Adventures and have addressed this with all passengers on tour. If you have outstanding complaints, I encourage you to email Palace Adventures manager via hbmanager@palaceadventures.com. Palace abides by strict maintenance compliance issued by the Fraser Coast 4WD Association and runs flexible tours to allow for itinerary changes such as these. This usually prevents too much disruption to the tour but in this case, severe weather also played it's part.

We hope you continue to travel safe and well as you complete your stay in Australia.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Definitely the worst hostel I've stayed in during my trip through Australia. Since there was one night included in my Fraser Island and Whitsunday package I stayed at this hostel. I was placed in the far back unit, the unit where everybody meets the morning of departure, to watch an instruction movie. There we no utensils in the kitchen and there were pizza boxes all over the floor and on the pool table. Upstairs there were no lights in the toilet. The room doesn't have a locker, but there is a large area with a lot of lockers to put your backpack in while you're on your Fraser Island trip. But there was broken glass all over the place on the day of departure and it was still there after I arrived from my Fraser Island tour. So it didn't seem the staff keeps an eye on this area and so it doesn't seem entirely safe to put your belongings in these lockers. The day I went on my Fraser Island trip I wanted to brush my teeth. As I walked to the bathroom, I saw an opened dormdoor opposite to the bathroom and a bag with a passport and some other valuables lying all over the bathroom floor.. I didn't know what happened, but I was glad I left. I Wouldn't recommend this hostel, however some other people from the Fraser tour told me that the other units were a bit better..

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Wouter131
Palace_Backpackers, Manager at Palace Backpackers Hervey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Dear Wouter131,
Thankyou for your words regarding your stay at our hostel. We are very sorry to hear that you believe us to be the worst hostel you've stayed at! I understand that many of your cleanliness and open door issues are dependent on your guest peers, but it is useful to know this behaviour occurs so we can educate our guests in future and implement new procedures for our staff.
All the best for safe onward travels!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Try to avoid this place if you can. The hostel was included in our Fraser Island Tour, so we stayed there for two nights. The beds were alright, if you were lucky enough not to sleep in a bed with bed bugs... Most of the kitchens were really dirty and disgusting. Instead of cleaning the fridges or throwing them away, they just write "don't use" on the outside. The place is not safe, somebody stole money and phones, we had them right next to our heads while sleeping. The staff didn't say much about the robbery, apparently this happens at least twice a week.

Room Tip: the room on the left was okay
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Reni M

Dear Reni M,

We are deeply sorry you were affected by theives during your stay as nobody likes to lose valuables under any circumstance. We have been doing everything in our power to deter theives from not only our hostel, but all hostels in the region including: implementing new security flood lighting, ensuring every door is self locking, encouraging and educating guests to keep doors shut and valuables secure, changing locks immediately for rooms with lost keys and involving ourselves in the community 'Lock It or Lose It' program. We have also just recently purchased new fridges for our units. We implement "Do not use" signage only temporarly during the replacement process, and I encourage you to revisit at any time so we can show you the hostel we are proud of.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

I booked my Fraser Island tour here and two nights accomodation were included. Firstly the Fraser Island tour was not what was advertised in their lovely glosy brochure! There were no showers or even toillets as advertised and had to go out in the dark and squat! The hostel itself was dirty, there were no utensils or things to cook with in the kitchen, several rooms were flooded or had bed bugs and the second nigt I stayed several people had money and phones stolen from their rooms and no0one at the hostel could have cared less! This is the worst hostel I have stayed at anywhere in the world and I have stayed at a lot. The good reviews on this page are only from the people who stayed in the private rooms which is a very different story. Palace this definately ain't!

Room Tip: Get a private room or don't bother staying here
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Dear Ruth B,

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hostel, and we are sorry it did not meet your expectations. Facilities on Fraser Island are very limited, and we can only provide a portable camp toilet on site - which is not the flushing 'toilet' expected by many! To save confusion with future guests, we are no longer promoting these facilities at all, even though they are there.

Since your visit to the hostel we have eradicated the bed bug problem, closed and begun renovations on the flooded units and been working with the police and guests affected to try to limit thefts in future. If you were an affected guest and feel you would like to contribute more, we encourage you to write to us directly via hbmanager@palaceadventures.com.au

Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed in a double room for 2 nights and there's not much to complain about. The fan in the room just had 2 modes though, "full on" or "barely spinning", but that's really the only bad thing I can think of. The private rooms is in a separate building so there's not that much noise at night. There was very helpful staff and the lockers for long term storage didn't cost anything.

The best thing about palace though is their Fraser Island tours. We were out camping 2 nights and we had the most awesome tour guide and a really beautiful experience. I really recommend that one.

Room Tip: The building with private rooms has a really good kitchen with oven and its barely ever anyone there...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Palace_Backpackers, Manager at Palace Backpackers Hervey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Dear Josef M,

Thankyou for your great review. I have passed your comments on to our Fraser Island guides - we sure are proud of the trips we run!

All the best for the rest of your travels, and we hope to see you in Hervey Bay again one day.

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I always check reviews about hostels before booking them, however this hostel was included in a Fraser Island package that I bought in Cairns so I didn't. A big mistake! The kitchen and common area were very dirty with ants and bugs everywhere. The bedroom was even worse, bad smell and there was a fan in the room that looked like it hadn't been cleaned for years. Broken closets, light bulbs missing, ceiling was damaged because of a water leak etc etc. I uploaded some photo's of this mess.

After seeing the room I went to the reception, they said they would fix everything but after an hour it was still the same. I went to the reception again and told them I was leaving. I didn't pay for the stay because it was included in a package but the lady behind the counter was very nice and gave me money to pay for another hostel. Probably because she felt ashamed of the bad condition the hostel is in. The lady at the reception was the only postitive thing about this hostel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Henk v
Palace_Adventures, Manager at Palace Backpackers Hervey Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear Henk v,

Thankyou for your kind words regarding our staff and service at Palace Backpackers. We always strive to do the very best for our customers irregardless of circumstance!

Your stay with Palace is a regrettable one and we appologise that our hostel was not at it's usual standard during your visit. We realise that the hostel has become a little tired and 'worn down' with age, and on the 5th of March began major renovations to the property to revive it's facilities. Renovations include:
*Giving every bathroom and toilet a makeover with new tiling, paint, cupboard repairs and other necessary maintenance to both clean and refurbish the areas.
*New paint and floor coverings for units
*Brand new decking and surrounds for our outdoor swimming pool
*Updates to our balconies
*Purchase of new fans, cookware and kitchen essentials
and of course *One very big spring clean of all facilities, rooms, kitchens and communal areas

We hope this will help to improve guest's stay in the future, and welcome you back at any time to see our improvements! Until then, enjoy your travels.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

I had heard bad reviews about this place, but thought I would give it a chance. I went and looked at my bed when I first arrived and immediately found bedbugs on two of the four beds in room 4c. I didn't even look at the other two beds before I ran as fast as I could out of there!!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Dear Canadiangirl992,

We're very sorry you arrived to this issue. We have since had the property treated and have eradicated the problem.

We wish you all the best for safe and enjoyable travels onwards!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scarness
Palace Hostels
Sunseeker Motel
Sunseeker Motel
#1 of 1 in Scarness
Discovery Parks - Hervey Bay

Been to Palace Backpackers Hervey Bay? Share your experiences!