Hotel Villa Honegg
$340
  • Breakfast included
$272
Agoda.com
All reviewsvilla honegglake lucerneinfinity poolamazing viewsamazing placejunior suiteoverlooking the lakeswiss alpsmini barhigh standardsmall hotelattention to detailout of this worldbucket listhotel experiencespa areahiking trails
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wow, my wife and I just finished a two night stay at the Villa Honegg to cap off a two week stay throughout France, Austria and Switzerland, and this was by far the highlight of our trip. This hotel is an extremely special place given its location, rooms, amenities and service and definitely gets high marks for value despite the room rates.

We stayed in a standard room with a lake view and, although small, the hotel makes up for it through tasteful modern decor, incredible views, technology and other in-room amenities such as daily fresh fruit, complimentary soft drinks/water in the mini bar, Nespresso coffee maker, free movies, etc.

We were also impressed by the incredible hotel amenities that are included in such a small property. The heated infinity pool is certainly the highlight (the pictures cannot do it justice), but we were also able to make good use of the sauna/steam room, fitness center and cinema (we didn't receive any spa treatments). Since the cinema was not reserved the first night of our stay, my wife and I were able to use it for no charge - it was like having a movie theater complete with comfortable recliners to ourselves. Although these public areas are rather small, we honestly felt like we had all of these areas to ourselves during the stay.

In addition, the hotel has electric bikes available for the use of guests, which provided an amazing way to explore the countryside surrounding the property. The "electric" part is definitely necessary, as there are some serious hills around the property, so we appreciated all the help we could get from technology.

Also, the breakfast that is included in the room rate was fantastic!! They offer breakfast until 2pm every day, so you never need to hurry, and you get an excellent meal on the patio overlooking the lake. Fresh breads, homemade jams, meats, cheeses, fruits, eggs, crepes, etc. etc. etc.

Last, but not least, the front desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They were able to help with everything from restaurant reservations outside the hotel to sunscreen.

Although we had a fantastic experience, there were a few things that we noted could be improved:
1. Dinner experience - Although we loved breakfast, I think the dinner fell a bit short of the broader hotel experience, especially considering the prices. They were (surprisingly) not serving dinner on the patio the night we decided to dine in the restaurant. Although the staff accommodated our request to dine on the patio, we nevertheless felt somewhat overlooked throughout the meal (our waiter always gave us the impression that he had somewhere more important to be). In addition, I ordered the beef entrecote, which was disappointing.
2. Toiletries - The hotel toiletries offered in the standard hotel rooms have a very distinct "Holiday Inn" feel to them. I would suggest an upgrade to hotel management.
3. Iron - Although the hotel gets high marks for value (I appreciate not being charged a "resort fee" or for parking, which has become all to common), I was surprised by the lack of an iron in the room. When I called down to the front desk, they indicated that this was not a mistake, but that they would iron my shirt for the equivalent of $12...really? I went to the restaurant with a wrinkled shirt that night.
4. Bike path suggestions - When we asked for suggestions and/or directions for biking paths, the front desk staff struggled to provide ideas and accurate directions. Although we were happy to explore on our own, it would be great if they could provide an easy map that highlights the "must see" spots.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Hmm, how to start? To begin with we received a very warm welcome and even though we were really early they brought us to our rooms immediately. The mini bar with energy drinks, soda, water, juices, chocolate, and fruit were complimentary. Complimentary nespresso coffee and tea. The rooms are modern yet warmly decorated. My husband and I both had an one hour message and then used the wellness facility. Though small, it was enough with a steam room and sauna. They have a small but very nice pool that extends outdoors with a beautiful view. The only thing missing for me is a larger indoor quiet resting area. There is one with 2 small waterbeds which is not my thing.
For dinner we had an excellent 5 course meal. Compliments to the chef!
The next morning we used their top of the line fitness room with complimentary water bottles and then went to breakfast at 1pm...I love it that they have breakfast until 2pm. My husband hates buffets and even though some 5 star hotels have partial breakfast buffet and partial service, this hotel has finally got it right with a full service breakfast. You can order anything you want and as much as you want with fresh bread, fresh fruit, saussage, potatoe, all different kinds of eggs and smoked salmon. They even have a kids play room in another building. It is not inexpensive but I think it was totally worth it. We had a great time and will definitly be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fam4luv2travel
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Villa Honegg in early January 2013 and agree it was, hands down, one of the best experiences of our lives. The view is quickly becoming famous (hopefully it will remain a secluded treasure and not too over-populated as that is definitely part of the charm) as they have a heated infinity pool overlooking Lake Lucerne and the surrounding hills and Alps.

We loved every moment of our stay, from the warm welcome [by name] at the front, the personal check in process, our gorgeous room equipped with any and all amenities (Nespresso machine, robes, slippers, fruits, nuts, fizzy and still bottled water, Hermés bath products, free movies, balcony overlooking the Alps and town below, the list goes on!), the fact that our reservation for dinner had already been made for 7pm but should we desire a different time we just needed to let them know (we changed to the latest possible option so we could stay in the pool/spa for as long as possible), the gourmet food in the dining room, the gorgeous and state-of-the-art gym (beautiful views from the treadmills!), coed sauna with bouillon/broth "wellness" to drink and ice bath, movie theater, complimentary breakfast, bearskin coats....need I say more?

This place will not disappoint in any aspect - the people could not be friendlier and more eager to make your stay as close to perfection as possible, and what a difference it makes. Every staff member we passed stopped to smile and say hello while introducing him/herself and asking how he/she could help. We especially enjoyed our waitress, Marissa (sp?), who could not have been nicer and we ended up chatting with for a while. The dining experience was unbelievable - the food options, wine, cocktails, desserts that we enjoyed were over-the-top exquisite and I have no doubt that had we any special dietary needs or restrictions the staff would have bent over backwards to accommodate. We also noticed from the time we unpacked to the time we departed (regrettably) we were referred to by name - can you say personal any louder?

Because we stayed during the week in the winter it may have been an "off" time and it didn't seem like more than 5-6 other parties were staying at the hotel, but it sounded like come the weekend they were booked. Because it is a small hotel to begin with I'm sure it always has an intimate feel, but we literally practically had the dining room to ourselves both at dinner and breakfast - that is definitely something you don't experience very often.

We also booked with our Visa Signature card which was great, I highly recommend it in general for booking hotels because of the added perks and better rate. You will definitely pay a pretty penny for your stay here, but I can guarantee 1) it is worth every cent and you will not be disappointed and 2) for what you get experience-wise the rate actually seems outrageously reasonable. I'm sure a suite lake view would cost more, but we had a beautiful double room with balconies overlooking the town and hills & Alps in the distance and it was more than perfect for a couple. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and shower and bathtub extremely nice and new. The rooms also have character and charm and you truly feel like it is your own.

We did not have time for spa treatments but wish we did, however I can say we felt like we had a spa experience after using the gym and rewarding ourselves with the famous infinity pool (it is half-inside, half-outside and has all sorts of cool effects - it looks to be stainless steel (Jon was saying some famous Dubai architect designed it, very modern) and there are different jets and controls throughout, not to mention a whirlpool-within-the-pool that you can turn on yourself and sit up to enjoy the view even more. I can see how when the weather is warm you wouldn't leave the outdoor pool area, however even though it was freezing outside and snow was on the ground the pool is so warm you really don't need to leave it and can swim in the dark and look out over the lake and town lights. It is such a one of a kind experience we can't stop talking about when we can go back and for how long.
All in all I would say this is the perfect honeymoon or romantic getaway spot, even if you just stay 2-3 nights before moving on to another destination; we had to get to Munich the next day but both wished we could have at least stayed another 2 days to enjoy the hotel more without being pressed for time and also to enjoy the area which we didn't get to explore at all.
I will say that we took a taxi to and from the Lucerne train station and had no idea going into it that this hotel is far enough outside of main Lucerne to be an expensive ride (about 100 Swiss Francs each way - yikes!). We both agreed that next time we would probably rent a car and stay for longer - I have to think parking is included in the rate but am not 100% sure, however since the hotel is so far removed it's not like they are competing with neighborhood parking lots and spots. Or we would at least weigh and compare the costs of renting a car vs. taking the expensive taxi ride to and from. The hotel told us they have a shuttle that will take guests down to Ennetbuergen so that is at least an option but because Lucerne is so central and there are so many Swiss and neighboring country destinations within 1-3 hours driving distance I would think having a car to getaway for a couple days trips makes the most sense. For the purposes of our visit we were more than happy to stay put at the hotel and enjoy every element of it to the full, it was the perfect getaway to a relaxing hotel and when we left we were so rejuvenated and rested.
I cannot recommend this property enough and can only hope we make it back soon. Thank you Hotel Villa Honegg for setting the bar to what a vacation and resort should be! -Betsy Deuster & Jonathan Dahl

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Betsy D
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We spent one night at Villa Honegg on our way to Pontresina. It's a wonderful boutique hotel, renovated with a lot of taste and elegance, every small detail has been thought out. It sits on top of a hill, overlooking the lake. Staff at the reception desk is friendly, helpful, very welcoming and available. Rooms are simply beautiful, we had a double room, with view on the lakeside, the view from the large wooden deck is just breath taking. They offer all kinds of things that make one's stay perfect : coffee maker, kettle and tea, no extra charge for the mini-bar, warm slippers, blankets and binoculars to go on the deck and take in the stunning view. We took the time before departing to visit a suite and a junior suite. We have decided to return in the summer and will upgrade to a bigger room, ours was absolutely lovely but a bit on the small side. It is not cheap, but all hotels in that area are really expensive we noticed ! It is not a half-board type hotel so you have the possibility to go eat elsewhere, we had dinner there, it was nice but nothing special and we had to wait a long time...however, I imagine eating on the terrace in the summer must be dream like. After dinner we wanted to go outside, they provide huge coats made of fake fur, very fun and warm ! The outdoor pool is probably one of the most beautiful pools I have ever seen and it's hot ! The spa is small but pretty ; a sauna and a steam room. The gym is perfect, all you need is there. There are several lovely places to sit and read or have tea, a drink, relax…Breakfast is not a buffet so it's rather simple, but served nicely and you can ask more of anything you want. Location is also superb ; hike, bike, just hang out on the deck, go down and visit Lucerne...

Room Tip: Definitely splurge and get a room on the lake side. Ideally with a deck or a balcony. I imagine, rooms right above the restaurant's terrace may get a bit noisy when people stay out during long summer nights...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cgailloud
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We recently stayed one night at the 5 star Hotel Villa Honegg. We stayed in a junior suite, overlooking the swimming pool and the gorgeous view. Everything about our stay was fautless - from the courteous treatment we received from all members of staff, to the food in the hotel. We went with our two small children and we were all made to feel very welcome. Despite having no kids menu, we were told the chef could conjure up chips, chicken nuggets, whatever our children wanted. My husband took the kids into the swimming pool for the vast part of our stay, whilst I enjoyed a couple of treatments at the hotel. We would love to return, maybe in the summer.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family