Book In Advance
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews national trust eclectic collection charles wade musical instruments car park the main house fascinating place small house tea room nt property timed tickets treasure trove his life difficulty walking wonderful items introductory talk old house
Reviewed yesterday

The back story is fantastic Charles Wade was a true eccentric. The house had a good atmosphere the priests house more so. The staff were knowledgeable and eager to share the houses history with us. Must also mention the gentleman who greeted us in the tea room very friendly.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We took my mum and sister here as a birthday day out for my sister. It was a lovely day out by everyone. The house seems to get better on each visit and we seem to see different things on each visit. Definitely worth a visit,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was really impressed with Snowshill Manor and Gardens. I would also really like to thank the staff and volunteers (particularly Alisha / Alicia on the front desk) for all the help and care they put into making this a lovely visit.

We were staying in the area for a few days with my Mother in Law who was visiting from Germany and who has restricted mobility. She can walk, but very slowly, and steps are a real problem. I checked ahead on the website to find accessibility information and was delighted to find that not only were wheelchairs available to borrow, there was also a buggy service running up to the manor for people with mobility issues.

On arrival Alicia was extremely helpful, and not only sorted us out with a wheelchair, but also gave us 2 very detailed plans (one of the manor, and one of the grounds) outlining exactly where the steps were, how many there were, whether handrails were fitted etc. She also called the buggy driver to come and meet us to take us up to the house. Mother in Law could only really view the rooms downstairs, but another lovely volunteer gave her a seat and provided her with some photographs of the upstairs rooms so that she could see some of the rest of the collection.

I found the collection absolutely fascinating, and would love to have viewed it with no-one else around. I feel sure that you could spot new things every time you visit, so I am determined to go back when I am in the area again. I am a big fan of the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford, and the collection has a similar feel, although is more considered in the way it is displayed. I came away wanting to know much more about Charles Wade, who seems like a really interesting and creative individual.

The grounds were beautiful too, and the cottage that Charles Wade lived in himself was every bit as fascinating as the main house. Very dark and spooky in a way, but I think it's fitting that it's kept in this way as Wade himself refused to have electricity and gas installed - it helps to give a real insight into what it was like to visit this place when he was still 'in residence'.

The cafe was a little disappointing. I think the fresh greens I had might have been sitting on the stove a little too long(!), but the shop was really nice, and again all the volunteers were friendly and helpful. I cannot praise them highly enough. If I lived locally I would become one myself for sure.

Reviewed October 14, 2018

Visited with our two grandchildren of 12 and 16.A truly amazing experience! So much to explore, discover and find out about. We felt as if we were all embarking on a fabulous journey into the imaginative, historic, Gothic and incredible, a true treasure house of vast diversity and curiosities.We loved the Priests House which was like dropping into a time warp.We also loved the gorgeous gardens.Would loved to have met the amazing Mr Wade.A must see place to visit, beyond the ordinary!

Reviewed October 3, 2018

What an amazing place! First of all, we visited the gardens of Snowshill Manor, all beautifully laid out with lots of colour, and a number of quirky features as well, such as the model village and harbour. The gardens are on several different levels, necessarily so as the terrain is quite steep here. But these varying levels all add to the attraction. We then went into the house itself. Well, what an incredible collection of all sorts of things. The owner was Charles Wade, an architect by profession, but also a brilliant artist and restorer, and clearly a great collector. Although the house is almost totally given over to all his collections, and little else, it certainly doesn't have the feel of a museum. He was in his prime the first half of the 20th century, but many of his prized acquisitions date back to earlier times. Quite honestly, I have never seen anything quite like this before! Definitely a must to visit.

Reviewed October 3, 2018

Snowshill Manor is a national trust property. We found it to be a rather strange, but an interesting place. It is about a 10 minute walk from the entrance to the House and gardens. Outside consists of some gardens and some barns which were the living quarters. The house is very big and has lots of rooms full of all the items Charles Wade collected over the years. There are thousands of items to look at. Some people would class him as a collector, others as a hoarder. You will need to make up your own mind on that one!!

Reviewed October 1, 2018

The 3house sadly was not for me, too many ugly items all crowded together, dark and dismal but the gardens were pretty in a relaxed tranquil way and were a pleasure to stroll through

Reviewed September 22, 2018

The site has been developed significantly in recent years with a proper car park (a buggy helps travel to the main site which is otherwise a fair walk through beautiful natural grounds with great views) and really good cafe with friendly helpful staff. The chaotic collection has been sorted out & some sense made of the eclectic mix. The formal gardens are attractive, though the site can get crowded given its size & popularity and we experienced some selfishness in the car park. The only other down side was the bane of National Trust properties: the over eager room guide who would not allow us to enjoy looking at the exhibits without lecturing us

1  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed September 16, 2018

Charles Wad was an obsessive collector of things...almost anything. His Snowshill Manor & Garden shows you just how a wealthy person can spend their life buying up everything from nice antiques to junk, store it all in a place you do not really live in then leave it to the National Trust, probably taking a huge tax deduction and get people to volunteer to tell the story of your life while folks traps thru the dust and detritus you left behind. You can spend 30 minutes, because of the walk, or a year id you like to dig thru the leavings. Cannot recommend it for anything except the volunteer's friendly smiles.

Reviewed September 14, 2018

The medieval manor was purchased by Charles Wade just after the Great War 1914-18. He restored it to its former glory and then set about collecting all manner of objects from toys to Samurai armour, musical instruments to fine clocks and thousands of these objects are displayed for the lucky visitor. Wade wanted the Manor to be 'theatrical, dark and mysterious' encouraging visitors to explore into hidden corners. Now owned by the National Trust, it is carefully maintained by Volunteers.