“5 Star Location on Flamands Beach”

Hotel Baie des Anges
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed a week in the new Master Suite, a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, suite directly on the beach with a large deck including couches, chairs and dining table. Although we were in one of the three new suites, all of the rooms looked very clean and comfortable and most have decks directly on the beach. Enjoyed sleeping and waking to the sound of the waves directly below, breakfasts served each morning on our beach deck, and dinners from the excellent La Lagouste Restaurante also served on our deck. Lounge chairs provided on Flamands beach with bar service makes it a relaxing paradise on a quiet part of the beach. The owner, Annie, and her family and staff are wonderful hosts. If you like small boutique hotels, want to be directly on the beach, and don't care about frills, this is a great place to stay on St. Barths.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach are definitely preferable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LuckySadieDog
There are newer reviews for Hotel Baie des Anges

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed 2 nights there and it wasnt worth it as the room was very standard, the smell of the restaurant was always inside of the room and you can hear at night and in the morning the movements of the restaurant.
Then luckily we moved to Fleur de Lune in Saline Beach for a lot less of money with a beautiful room, very nice service and privacy. Also, this had breakfast included and Baie de Anges not.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MarianaRamos
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've stayed at Baie des Angles several times. The hotel is small; just the way I like them. The owners are very friendly and eager to please (something that isn't always the case on this very French island). It's a family-run hotel.

The rooms are spotless, nicely decorated, and have their own kitchenettes. You can make your own coffee, heat up a little something, and keep your own snacks and cold drinks on hand. I recommend the upper rooms. They have a large deck, and a nicer view. All rooms have sofa beds. It was great to have one when my son was young. The bathrooms are neat and clean (I'm a bathroom freak). Best of all, this beachfront hotel is set on Flamand, the best, most private beach on the island. This is not a "luxury" hotel. It is a very nice, boutique hotel.

The pool is lovely, but small, and is set alongside the outdoor restaurant. Expect to enjoy a fun splash, but not a lap pool. I was usually the only person there. Truly, I felt like I was in my own private resort.

Baie des Anges makes their money (like most resorts) primarily from their restaurant, which is top notch. The restaurant is quite popular and the food is delicious. That's saying a lot considering the competition. As I'm writing this I'm thinking about the langoustines - a Baie specialty. I wish I were there right now. Breakfast is included.

Did I say it was on the best beach? It is. Flamand is a pristine, white beach. You can snorkel around and find tropical fish and beautiful coral. It's private; sharing space with the Ile de France and private homes. To me, I can't think of another hotel on the island that's this nice, with a great restaurant, at a great price.

Some other island tips:

I recommend hiring a car. There are so many terrific restaurants on the island, you'll want your freedom. Rent a jeep or a mini. It's really fun to drive on St. Barth's and you'll enjoy the open air.

You'll find a nice grocery store across from the airport, and a sweet "deli" just up the road from the hotel.

I really love St Barth's, and have stayed at several hotels on the island. To me, Baie des Anges is the best. It's right on the beach, the rooms are great, and the price is amazing.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have a larger terrace.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Situated on Flamands beach, this small boutique hotel has nicely furnished large rooms (I stayed on second floor in an ocean front) with kitchen are just glorious. Stayed here last year and just noticed on trip advisor. I truly felt at home and did not want to leave. While this hotel does not offer many "services" per se, if you are looking for a peace and quiet, a gorgeous beach and all the comforts of home (sans electronics), this is your spot. It is a great value for St. Barths. The restuarant is known for it s lobster which we thoroughly enjoyed. Wifi is free onsite and you can get on the beach. Up the hill if you follow the road it leads to a path which will take you to Columbia Beach. The hike is maybe 30 minutes and a little hairy but it s worth the trip. No chairs or umbrellas, just a few lucky people enjoying paradise. After writing this, I think I need I book another trip!

Room Tip: I recommend the larger units in the front on second floor with a screened in balcony overlooking bea...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Freja3
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We we there for a long weekend in May. The staff is lovely. The hotel restaurant is superb. Breakfast comes with delicious coffee and fresh squeezed juice. Lunch and dinner offer great salads and seafood options. The restaurant is jammed for dinner dinner most nights. The hotel is on a beautiful beach which was never crowded. Our room had a gorgeous view. The owner Annie was delightful. Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NJ_Family_Team
Reviewed March 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I had an amazing holiday in St Barths in November 2011. Being such an expensive island, finding this great hotel (good location right on the beach, rooms clean and well decorated) with its reasonable prices was a very good deal. We would definitely advise it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Valentina D
Reviewed April 29, 2011

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful romantic getaway in St. Barts in the second week of April. I deliberated long and hard between HBDA and another room priced similarly on St Jean Beach. It was really a question of location vs. quality of the room, and as the deluxe beach front room at HBDA was the same price as a lesser room at St Jean beach, I chose Hotel Baie Des Anges. At least our room did not disappoint! It was spotlessly clean, had nice thick walls, a pretty canopy bed, great water pressure, a decent kitchen area, and an awesome deck with MAGNIFICENT sunsets. I would say that the room was actually a bit larger than it appears in most of the web photos I viewed. The only drawbacks with the room were that one of the lights was not working, the a.c. seemed to have some programming issues, and the tv was not repaired until the last day we were there, although I certainly wouldn't have been watching tv anyway.

The hotel itself is on a beautiful, long stretch of soft sand beach. It was very peaceful and is also only a short pleasant hike to Colombier Beach which is also gorgeous and great for snorkeling. I would say that out of six of the eight days we were there, the water was great for swimming with nice waves, but on perhaps two of the days it was a bit too rough. After having seen both Flamands Beach and St Jean Beach, I would have opted for St Jean as It really felt like the epicenter of the island and had a livelier vibe. My girlfriend felt strongly that Flamands was the better choice as it was longer, had a better quality of sand , and is more private.

The primary problem we had with Hotel Baie Des Anges was the comically poor quality of service provided by most of the staff at the hotel. I paid for a deluxe room which included a continental breakfast each morning. Although this was supposed to come with the room, we were REQUIRED to fill out a card each day with our breakfast order for the follwing morning. The simple breakfast of coffee, juice, bread, and croissants was supposedly "made to order", so they apparently needed advance notice for this complicated meal. We got off pretty easy the first day we forgot about the card. There was a mild scolding by the waitress, but then she charitably brought us the basket and our drinks. The next day my girlfriend dared to sit down w/o us having filled out the card; "I TOLD you yesterday to fill out the card", we were admonished by our moody server who then brought us our sub Holiday Inn Express meal in a cloud of pique and indignation with a side of scorn for the croissants. Well, we made sure we filled it out the card for the next day and even added some bacon and fruit in attempt at appeasement. During our breakfast the following day, I foolishly lost sight of the coffee pot on the table and asked for more coffee. This was not a smart move. A shocked and bewildered stare, followed by "Your coffee is right there on the table, uhh, maybe you drink too much last night?" while getsuring with her hand like someone guzzling a bottle. Haha, what a riot. So we alternated between filling out the card, forgetting all about it while we were enjoying the island, and just avoiding breakfast all together. The final morning of our stay we had filled out the card the day before and sat down for our meal, then Miss Sunshine comes over to the table with an order pad and asks us what we would like for breakfast! So my girlfriend told her we would like some croissants for a change, and I ventured to say some coffee please, and umm, (sheepishly) "I did put some bacon on the card yesterday..." "oh! that's why I asked you what you wanted!" as she storms off in a huff. We try never to be rude, but all we could do was laugh, and then laugh some more!!

The other surprising thing was that on the third day of our stay I asked the owner directly if there was any laundy service. She seemed surprised by the question, but said she would have to call the girl and would let me know. I passed her in the driveway the next day, and she said "oh, I will let you know about the laundry" , but then we never heard another word about it. If they didn't offer that service it wouldn't have been a big deal, but we gathered up our clothes that we might have otherwise gotten more wear out of and threw them in a bag as they seemed to be indicating that there was in fact some kind of service.I realize that HBDA is somewhat residential in nature, and I was not expecting Four Seasons style service, but I feel a simple request like this at least merited a response.

Something else to be aware of is that the deluxe room package comes with a rental car, which sounds great, but the car we received was an underpowered micro Hyundai which barely made it up the steep and treacherous mountains of the island. The tranny was cooked in the one they initially provided us with, so after a couple of days I returned it saying that I did not feel that it was safe. After a long argument with the rental agent, he relented and gave me the same model car, which while still weak and cheezy, at least seemed to be in better repair and was better on the hills. Oh, you do ABSOLUTELY need a car if you are staying in Anse De Flamands, and be aware that the roads and the St Barts motorists are c-r-a-zy!

So I would have to say that this lovely little hotel was marred by only by poor service, but we certainly didn't let it spoil our fun. To be fair there was one young girl at the front desk who went out of her way to be freiendly and helpful with directions, but even while checking out the morose girls at the reception desk (including our charming breakfast waitress) couldn't even muster a "thank you, and I hoped you enjoyed your stay" Again, I realize this is not a five star hotel and is a bargain for this island, but it still cost thousands of dollars for a week's stay. Surprising and somewhat dissppointing based on all the rave reviews.

Room Tip: deluxe room is worth it-
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Colombier
Tropical Hotel St Barth
Tropical Hotel St Barth
#4 of 8 in St. Jean

Been to Hotel Baie des Anges? Share your experiences!