“Stunning View let down by the food”
Review of The Chartroom

The Chartroom
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Inverkip
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the Idyllic surroundings of Kip Marina, the Chartroom bar and restaurant boasts a menu full of locally sourced seafood and traditional Scottish fayre, plus the Famous (original and best) Chicken Sizzle!
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have eaten here a few times as we live in the area. Its a hit or miss whether you get good service or food. Don't think we will be giving it another chance after the last time. The starter of goats cheese salad was lovely but our mains were very disappointing. The sea bass and crushed potato was tasteless. My husband asked for mashed potato with his steak pie instead of chips. The waitress went to ask in the kitchen if this was possible and he was told no it was not. I find this unbelievable. There were only 4 tables being used so it was not as if they were too busy to mash some of the "crushed potato" with a bit of butter. This restaurant should be busy every night with the view that it has but unfortunately this is not the case and I can understand why.

1  Thank Huxley2013

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We've just been to the Chartroom Restaurant and had a good meal. The black pudding stack starter is very good and the main of sirloin steak was also very good and cooked just right. The onion rings were a bit chewy and not crispy enough but that is the only critism of my meal. My wife had Chartroom Thai chicken which she said was tasty but the taste was creamy and overly chilli hot without much lemon grass flavour. Having tasted it I tend to agree. Service was excellent and couldn't be faulted. The location of our table overlooking the marina and watching the sun go down was excellent. Overall, a very nice experience!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Modern building overlooking the Marina. Staff were young but pleasantly efficient. The two of us mainly had fish dishes, both as starters and mains. House wine was quite good and reasonably priced. The bill for two of us for lunch including wine was just over fifty pounds which for a quality meal was very modest.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

A friend and I went to the Chartroom whilst exploring the area around Inverkip, as it was in front of the marina on a warm summer’s evening and the restaurant looked good.

On arrival we were seated and offered menus fairly quickly. I ordered the deep fried Brie, my friend the goat’s cheese salad.

The view from the restaurant is pretty spectacular, looking out as it does over the Inverkip Marina. As it was a good evening, the side windows opened out allowing a slight breeze to pass through the restaurant.

We didn’t need to wait long for the starters to arrive and we were soon happily tucking into our food. The brie was just right, the outside was crunchy and the inside not at all runny. A difficult achievement as there is a very small margin of error.

For our main course, I ordered Steamed West Coast Mussels with white wine cream and garlic or, in other words Moules marinières. This is served with chips as a side dish. My friend ordered the Chicken Sizzle.

A little time after the starters, the main courses arrived, mine minus the chips. My friend started eating while I waited for them to arrive. After a couple of minutes I called over the waitress and asked where they were. She said “I’ll go and fetch them.” By the time they arrived, my friend had eaten his meal and the mussels were no longer hot but just warm at best. She popped them on the table and I told her that I no longer wanted them, or the mussels. She asked why and I said because the mussels were nearly cold, the chips were fresh out of the fryer and would need to cool, which would mean that the mussels would then be cold. She then asked if she could get the mussels warmed up for me. I was genuinely shocked. She immediately sent for the manager.

The manager was most sympathetic and asked how he could resolve the situation. I pointed out that I was no longer interested in eating a main course as my friend had finished his and I had no desire to make him sit there and watch while I ate my meal. The manager immediately cancelled the bill and we left.

Overall, the experience was poor, but there were positive elements. The food we ate was good, the manager dealt with the problem the only way he could and did that without any quibbling. I will return for another meal there at some point, in which case I will update this review. In the meantime, this restaurant gets two pips from me.

1  Thank MalvolioCheshire
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I ate lunch here today - the menu offers gluten free bread and options. However, it seems the staff don't really understand the difference - I was served the wrong bread on my sandwich not once but twice. I then cancelled my order altogether as I was not confident I should be eating anything by this point, and on speaking to the manager was told that the gluten free option HAD been served to me (he took a lot of convincing this was not the case). Not only is this incredibly rude to treat a customer in this way, it's VERY dangerous for those of us with food sensitivities.

3  Thank HelenF_F_7