Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chigwell
“Poor”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I thought this was meant to be a good hotel. Had to pay when booking in. Very disappointed by the night staff as I watched another guess complain in front of me that they did nothing about then when he went they took the micky out of him with me there.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Michael R
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Member,

It is our policy to take payment on arrival as it is with most leading hotel companies and booking agencies and I am sorry if this offended you. This particular website highlights the excellent professionalism of my staff and whilst I cannot comment on this particular incident I will speak to my night staff and thank you for bringing this to my attention

Stuart Friell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

On booking in I was requested to pay for my stay. I handed over my credit card and an amount was debited. The following day was my son's wedding day so we had a very early start. Several items belonging to my nieces were left out whilst we were away from the room. Housekeeping had obviously been in and cleaned up. On our return whilst packing we had noticed some missing items. On checking out I mentioned the items which were missing to the reception and they were going to speak with housekeeping. We were told housekeeping had found nothing.
On checking my credit card statement two I days later I notice that two debits of the same amount had been taken from my account. I contacted the hotel and they said that the wrong amount had been debited from my account originally. My concern is that I authorised the the first amount on checking in but no one from the hotel thought that they would need authority to debit the second amount. Not even a call to discuss their error. Im still waiting to speak to a manager for their explanation.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank janet p
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Janet,

Thank you for your recent review. Firstly may I apologise for having not replied to your sooner having, recently returned from holiday. I know that Kelly has spoken to you along with my Duty Manager on occasion. Naturally with every review posted on this site both my team and I meet to review the comments and take the necessary actions to ensure there is no repetition of any niggles that have caused guest comments and further to our meeting I would like to comment as follows.

It is an industry standard to take payment on arrival and having spoken to my team they informed me that you stayed on a function rate for two nights but due to an error on our behalf we took payment for one night, Natalie contacted your room but was unable to contact you and having your details charged for the second night. I do however concede that we could have contacted you via your mobile and perhaps should have notified you by placing a letter under your door, a standard we will now adopt however, you were charged correctly for your stay and given a full receipt on departure which detailed the transactions.

We have an experienced housekeeping team who would not have removed any items from your room, the hotel has room safe’s as well as safety deposit boxes for the storing of valuables however, Kelly does advise me that she has some items of lost property which we believe on verification by you may, be yours and I would appreciate you calling Kelly directly.

Stuart Friell

Travelers are raving about these Chigwell hotels

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The Hotel was recommended and booked for us by Caton Fry & Co, South Woodford.
My wife spent 3 weeks in October 2013, and when she returned, told me how wonderful the hotel, and all their staff were. I must say, that I was really impressed (May/June 2014) with the place and it's location, not to forget all the staff who treated us like royalty. The rooms were large, airy and well maintained on a daily basis. The grounds were lovely and well maintained on a regular basis. My wife and I would certainly recommend this hotel to all our friends, and we would undoubtedly return on our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper level with a view to the garden. Great for sitting by the window with a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Errol M
Dear Member,

Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to read that your wife had an enjoyable stay at my hotel and I will certainly share your kind comments with my team

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed for one night in this hotel. I did not use all of the facilities so I can't comment on the standard of the food as my company were to penny pinching to book me in for food! My room was a filled wth a solid yellow wallpaper with a few grazes from damage over the years. The furnature in the room was the pvc stuff you got from MFI back in the day. Set with a green carpet and big flowery curtims this room needs modernisation. The bathroom was as old. The sink taps hardly worked and the fittings showed their age. Their were some plug sockets in the room that didn't work although the tele was a modern LCD samsung. If you stay on the fhird floor like me make sure your case has wheels as its about a half mile walr to reception. Considering my company paid just under £100 for room only I think you would be better off in a local premier inn or such like where at least the rooms are modern.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Simon T
Dear Member,

Thank you for your recent review. I as disappointed to read your comments and since your review I have discussed your findings with my team and would like to offer my apologies. We are shortly to commence the refurbishment of our last remaining rooms which will bring them up to the standard of our newly excellent refurbished bedrooms.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I really liked this hotel. My room was clean, had a hairdryer, iron, ironing board, really good shower, complimentary water...everything I needed. The staff were very polite and professional. There were a couple of parties going on at the hotel but I could not hear anything from my room. I really can not think of any negatives about my stay at this hotel. Would recommend :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Member,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I was delighted to read your comments and I will certainly share these with my team.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking via Internet. Was very pleasantly surprised. Staff very pleasant & helpful. Room interior was brill alto lighting could be improved. Breakfast could be taken in room. Which I chose. The whole process was excellent! Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014
Friell, Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Member,

Thank you very much for your review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the prince regent many times over the last 10 years and its always pleasant. Quiet, clean and friendly staff. I have noticed that since the hotel is no longer owned by Menzies there seems to be a drop in overall standards. It's still quiet and clean but you notice little things like no daily newspapers in the lounge area, the breakfast menu seemed a little short. Maybe due to how early it was? Since a refurbishment just prior to the Olympics there are now 2 very distinct levels of room. Either very good or very poor. In one you feel you get a good deal in the other not so. It's still a nice place and reasonable value for money which is ideally placed on the outskirts of London should you wish to spend a weekend enjoying the capital.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Member,

Thank you very much for your review. I was disappointed to read that you feel that standards had dropped since the change of ownership. Within the lounge, bedrooms and restaurant we provide free glossy magazines as well as having news constantly streamed through our large plasma screen in our drawing room, newspapers are available also via our reception desk. We moved away from newspapers in our breakfast and bar area simply as we saw an increase in traffic through our free wifi with many of our guests choosing to use their smart phones and tablets and I must say since removing the daily newspapers this, is the first negative comment I have received.

I am pleased to say that we have only this week revised our breakfast offering and have extended the offering which was already considerable and indeed more than our competitors were offering and I a sure you will be pleased when next you stay.
I can also advise you that our investors have committed to refurbish the remaining bedrooms which due to the Olympic games could not be completed during our first phase of works.

I am sorry you feel that standards are not as high, I on the other hand can assure you that with our new investors the Prince Regent has exciting times ahead and I hope when you next stay you will see that we may have had a slight hiccup but all is back to normal and we will continue to run our hotel to the high standard that you are used to experiencing.

Stuart Friell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chigwell
Travelodge London Chigwell
St. Georgio Hotel
St. Georgio Hotel
#5 of 15 in Ilford
Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park

Been to Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent? Share your experiences!