“Booking”

Mercure Melbourne Caroline Springs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Great spot by the lake and its oh so quiet at night... Sports Bar food yummy...
Relax by the pool or spa or just take in the view of the city.....
Spacious rooms and friendly staff.
Shopping complex is just across the road and a huge range of dining out places to choose from.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Bethlehem, PA USA
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I spend 50-60 nights a year in hotels and have done so for the past 20 years. This was the worst hotel experience I have had in at least 15 years. The cab driver at Melbourne airport was absolutely clueless about this hotel. For good reason. There is no sign on the building - anywhere - indicating this is the Grand Mercure. The cabbie finally gave up and dumped me at the Mercure - about a quarter mile away. I had to lug 100 lbs of luggage through a shopping mall and across a parking lot to, finally, find what I presumed was the Grand Mercure. Not labeled Grand Mercure. Labled "West Waters Hotel".

The reception staff was, to put it generously, completely indifferent to my difficulty finding the place. Said they "planned" to put up a sign "next month." Like that helped me.

The room was over 85 degrees when I checked in. Conveniently, the AC only operates when you insert your room card in a slot. Conveniently, I was given only one card. So, I had to go back downstairs to get a second card so I could activate the AC and find a cooler place to hang out until the room cooled.

Reception staff was asked to reserve a cab for me for my return to Melbourne. Forgot to do it. Fortunately, I expected this, so I got up early and asked the reception staff, again, to reserve a cab.

Horrible, horrible experience. ACCOR Hotels is off my list - permanently.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Belinda L, Director of Sales at Mercure Melbourne Caroline Springs, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Steve,

I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not up to our usual standard of service.
Based on your feedback we are implementing a procedure, where on hot days (like you experienced when you were visiting us) we will endeavour to obtain an estimated time of arrival and have the air conditioner on 30 minutes prior.

I will also speak to the staff in regards to the booking of your taxi and I do apologise that this was missed.

Please let me know if you do choose to stay with us again.

Warmest regards,
Belinda
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Room spacious, well set out with nice views of lake and city skyline fireworks. Only suggestion would be to have a selection of pillows rather than just the one type. Other than that highly recommend and having booked in advance was excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Devon
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The rooms and facilities are excellent, clean, spacious and very comfortable.
The apartments have an oven, hob, washing machine, and tumble dryer, good value for not much more than a standard room.
The swimming pool was a bit on the cool side but the spa pool was just the thing at the end of a tiring day. The gym looked to be well equipped but we didn't actually use it.

The staff were friendly and helpful. We had to make a number of last minute changes to bookings and everything was dealt with very efficiently.

The only problem was the restaurant. My wife is allergic to onions and we always take some trouble to explain this. The waitress was really good and was able to advise on what dishes were suitable and made a point of noting the problem on the order. We went for fish and chips with an onion free side salad and no dressing.
The fish and chips were fine, the side salad arrived with onion and dressing included. We pointed this out to the waitress. She was apologetic, and annoyed with the kitchen staff. A new salad arrived, without dressing, but still with small pieces of onion. It seemed to us that the kitchen staff had simply fished most of the onion out of a previously made salad, rather than prepare one that was onion free to start with.

I don't like to castigate an entire hotel because of one incident, but this was really annoying. If my wife had not spotted the onion in the second salad, she would probably have spent the next day in bed rather than attending our son's wedding.

We'd stay there again, but make a point of eating elsewhere.

Room Tip: We were there as two couples. Wife and myself, plus daughter and partner. If you are a similar group...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Belinda L, Director of Sales at Mercure Melbourne Caroline Springs, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear pan._viator,
Thanks for taking the time to inform us of your stay.

I am very disappointed to have read what occurred whilst you were dining in our Bistro. I have advised the Executive Chef of the error and we will review our process’ to ensure that this does not happen again.

I was happy to read that you would stay with us again, and when you do please let me know.

Warmest regards,
PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport
Ciloms Airport Lodge
Ciloms Airport Lodge
#6 of 7 in Tullamarine

Been to Mercure Melbourne Caroline Springs? Share your experiences!