“Definitely a "Must Stop"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bindoon Bakehaus & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Bindoon
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Perth, Australia
“Definitely a "Must Stop"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I rate this place for the ambience and the good ol' fashion regional Australia service. No frills. Went there during the week on the way north and stopped for breakfast and followed by lunch on the way back.

For breakfast, I had carrot cake with a flat white coffee. I liked the carrot cake and I think it's done to perfection. Aromatic, flavourful, moist. Plenty of walnuts to give it that nice crunchy texture with every mouthful. It had a thick layer of cream cheese icing on top which was what I hoped for. Had the right amount of sourness to it and it's simply wonderful.

For my lunch, tried the Guinness pie. Thought is was slightly off as the pastry was not flakey and slightly on the soggy side. I think it had spent a little too much time in the warmer and I am sure a fresh batch would have been better. I liked the chunky pieces of beef in it as you won't find chunky meat pies these days. My only comment about the pie was that there was no tinge of Guinness.

Agree with another reviewer, the coffee was a little diluted. Some like it diluted, others like them strong. But I like my coffee strong, so maybe Bakehaus will consider having "standard" and "connoisseur". I am sure something can be done with the coffee.

Overall, good work Bindoon Bakehaus! I'll definitely stop by again.

• Visited April 2013

Perth, Australia
“Breakfast with a HUGE difference!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

For those in the knows (and the "nose") Bindoon Bakehaus is a rite of passage. I am convinced it has the best pies in all of Western Australia, if not Australia.. seriously!
The hardest thing driving to Perth through Bindoon is stopping yourself from stopping at the Bakehaus. Because if you are driving through Bindoon a lot and you did not stop yourself from stopping at the Bakehaus you would have the hips as evidence, hehe...
It was therefore a given that we would take mum there for her last breakfast with us before she flew back home. She had some previous experience at the Bakehaus and this time she was prepared. She ordered a Lamb & Rosemary Pie, some totally decadent pie with a creamy filling and a large coffee. And managed to finish it all, licking her fingers clean and calling the pie "the best she had in her WHOLE LIFE!!". As a widely travelled 75-year old I think that says something for the pie!

• Visited February 2013
Perth, Australia
“Bloody Brilliant Bindoon Bakehouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

If you are around Bindoon area you must drop into the Bindoon Bakery. The food is top class and just a great place to stop and chill out. The Bindoon Brownie was magnificent same as the custard tart. The staff welcome you with great country Western Australian warm welcome.

• Visited April 2013
Mandurah, Australia
“never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Very disappointed and wont go again, emailed the owners and no courtesy of a reply.
The long black coffee was like hot water, told staff who replaced it as the second was as bad as the first, tasteless, however my friends cappuccino was ok.
The baguettes in the cabinet looked sweaty and old and my friends had a strange taste and made him feel öff" I had a Mexican dish which was ok but didn't taste freshly made. Both were plonked on a plate with no sprig of green or decoration
The cakes we ordered were plonked on a plate and given to us at the till, there was no flourish, no dusting of icing sugar no little pot of cream, , just a plonked cake and the Bindoon orange cake was tasty but hard and probably stored a while. The carrot cake was ok. very mediocre, lacklustre like no one could really be bothered and the vile coffee made us think never again as its not that cheap. Incidently it wasn't one of the very hot days we have been experiencing and was a Monday lunchtime.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank paul f
Anne-Maree H, Owner at Bindoon Bakehaus & Cafe, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Hi Paul,

Sorry you never had an email returned I had been given a copy and I had believed you were contacted this week? I will follow up why. We have taken on board all your comments and will strive to improve the areas lacking. Stale cakes we do not serve ever. Plonked on a plate may be the perception but it is with care we intend. As we try keep our costs lower for you we don't put dusted sugars or pots of cream on the side but we will ask if you want those as an extra. Your friend feeling sick from something dodgy is a serious complaint. We measure temperatures in all counters 3 times a day and work closely with the shire environmental health officer to maintain requirements under food standards Australia. Your bad black coffee I was led to believe from my manager was replaced? Or a refund offered? We really would like to be given the chance to let you see the higher standard we are meant to be.
I won't make excuses but at that point in time we had just suffered the loss of a very special 13 year old daughter of a very close person to our business and I think our game was a little off.
We will be in touch via email this weekend and thank you for pointing out where things need improving.

Best regards

Anne Maree Hagge
Perth, Australia
“Tongue and groove charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I was told later by a local that this cafe is colloquially called the "tongue and groove"... possibly due to the large wooden facings on the building. The food is of good quality and the service slick. I agree with other reviews in that it's probably the best option for miles around. There were a number of motorcyclists there indicating is popularity for day trips close to Perth.