“Fantastic Find!”

McTaggarts
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Ashill
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: McTaggarts is a family run pub andrestaurant set in the heart of the pretty Norfolk village of Ashill.We offer both an a la carte and a traditional bar menu.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Find!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Whilst working in the area we found we needed a place to stay and found Mc Taggarts, and what a find! very friendly family run establishment, food best i have had in a while, breakfast best i have ever had! anything you want just ask!
The Recent refit is at no expense spared, all fittings in Pub and rooms and furniture top Quality which gives the place a quality feeling at reasonable price.

Nice place, nice people, nice experience, highly recommended and if we have any more work in the area i am sure we will be staying there!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Gordon b

Norwich, United Kingdom
“great food in the country”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Set in a very rural location, this surprisingly modern looking, up market, family run restaurant & bar with the added attraction of accomodation serves great food. It is reasonably priced and excellent value for money. The pensioners lunch on a Wed is fantastic! They make groups and parties feel special and givew very good service. Well worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Modern but....”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Visited with my father who is 87. We popped in for a drink one night as he had mentioned he had the Wednesday pensioner meal and had been quite happy. I have been driving past this pub for many years and it has only been renovated in the past few years, before that it was an eyesore. You can't legislate for all tastes but for me the place was clean and very modern but lacked any character. I cannot comment on food but my father as impressed as things came in small containers and he could help himself from each. The dining area was smart and tables laid well. The leather chairs in the bar were comfy. The floors are wooden and I think a few more plants would enhance the place. I agree wholly with another comment - there is a ver serious problem with the sloping walk from the car park. Given that older folk are encouraged to attend some will potentially fall. I nearly lost my footing a young 62 year old! Will be going again to try food and report again

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Alan E
Ashill, United Kingdom
“Could do better!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I moved house to live in the village of Ashill just over a year ago, and was delighted to find a modern up to date pub (for a change) in a Norfolk village, such a shame that the service and attitude of the staff does not match up to the surroundings.
I am a great believer in in supporting local business, shame they do not think the same of their customers!
I have had good food, ok food and lastly a salmon dish that contained only one very tiny piece of salmon, I left most of it when the man collected the dishes I told him of my dissapointment with the meal, that was it as far as I was concerned. When I paid for the meal etc the landlady took payment and said to me in a very terse manner that she had not charged for the meal that I had as I had complained to her husband about it, I felt that it was my fault and that I should have eaten it and kept my thoughts to myself.
Every Chef has an off day I guess, all she had to say was sorry hope we do better next time. Might go back again but not for the warm welcome will go to the Bell at Saham Toney for that!

• Visited January 2013
Beccles, United Kingdom
“There's been a murderrrr”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My mother-in-law has been a long-time fan of the McTaggarts weekly pensioners' lunch - 3 courses for £8 including a tea or coffee, which is brilliant value whichever way you look at it - and today I was invited along as the (very) junior member of the group for the very first time.

The owners have clearly spent a fortune on refurbishment - the loos are absolutely wonderful - and the overall effect is great. Everything is spotlessly clean, light and bright. Sadly the welcome by a young woman who I am reliably informed is the owners' daughter was less than light and bright. When will people learn that you never get a second chance to make a first impression? My luncheon companions kept on commenting that they couldn't understand why the place was not packed out given the great value - the answer was staring them in the face (quite literally).

The menu choice was vegetable soup (or nothing), then either roast beef (rather overcooked, as you might expect) or chicken pie (which was a pile of chicken in a cream sauce topped by a heavy shortcrust pastry frisbee), and to follow Black Forest gateau (we've only got one left..) or apricot and chocolate bread-and-butter pudding - this arrived at the table already smothered in custard whether you liked it or not (and some didn't). What would it cost to offer the choice?

Ashill is not the centre of the known universe. If you want to attract business and customers and to survive in these parlous financial times, then put someone on duty who at least gives the impression of caring whether you have a nice meal and who has the courtesy to recognise a customer of several years' standing and greet them accordingly. And please do not offer only one choice of starter regardless of the cost of your menu, and please do not assume that everyone likes custard just because they are over 70.... if in doubt, ask! Or put the custard in a jug and serve alongside. This is not rocket science.

Overall, the menu was exceptional value but the experience could have been so much better, and it would have taken very little effort to achieve this.

And just one final suggestion (for the avoidance of future injury claims): would you consider a demarkation line between the edge of your rising slope to the entrance from the level paving slabs adjacent to the front. Someone is going to have a fall.....

• Visited March 2013