“Warm cozy old English pub! ”
Review of Royal Oak Inn

Royal Oak Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Meavy
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Royal Oak Inn is a free house owned by Burrator Parish Council. It is situated within the Dartmoor National Park, in an idyllic location next to the village green in Meavy. The pub is a former 15th-century church house inn. It takes its name from the oak tree on the village green which is reputedly some 800 years old. This is one of the few remaining traditional pubs, with a flagstone floor, old beams and a large open fireplace. Some of the seats are pews from the adjacent church. And the wood fire provides a warm welcome on those cold winter evenings. If character is what you want from your visit then you could find no better place!
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We were down visiting our parents in Plymouth at the weekend and my father in law had booked a table for tea on Saturday 16th November. We turned up (after using Sat Nav to find it!) and were warmly greeted by the manager (I assume) and told our table would be a few minutes so to make our way to the bar for a drink.

I was really pleased to see a lot of specialty ales and ciders on tap and not being from round the area wanted to try some of them! The bar manager again let me and my family sample the ciders and then presented us to our table.
The menu sported a wide range of choice to cater for all eaters and the portions were of a monstrous size! I should've shared the starter with my fiancé but I had potato skins and she had nachos. There was enough nachos to share! We both then had the jail ale steak pie. It was to die for!

Simply put, that was the best steak pie I have ever tasted!!

If you like good home cooked food in a warm and friendly atmosphere where you aren't afraid to speak because it's so posh, go here.
Warm and friendly staff, good food, good beer and a great atmosphere.

Thank you!

Graeme and the Wills Family!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We have visited on more than one occasion , and found the food and service to be excellent .the food was cooked to order to your requirements by a very good chef ,really tasty and large portions we couldn't quite finish it all. We would recommend this lovely country pub but would probably book at busy times as it's quite small and very cosy. Compliments to the chef and staff

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a lovely pub, very popular. Both nights we went for a meal we had booked & I would think you would need to do this as it is a very busy eatery.
The food is really lovely for 'pub grub' the portions are a really good size. The staff are all very friendly too, nothing was too much trouble.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Myself and my partner had a meal on the Saturday 19 of October,booked the table for 7.45. The staff very friendly and the sneaks cooked exactly how we like them,had a lovely night what more could you want

1  Thank plugger man
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We took a South African relative here for a meal on a Saturday night in mid October. We felt is was a quintesssentially quaint Devon pub to show her.
In the first round of drinks a Perrier was requested. The manager replied quite brusquely - We don't do French.
This was our introduction to a disappointing visit. Food was adequate and of large portions, but without imagination both in content and presentation.
On a Saturday night they have 2 sittings. We opted for the first (at 6pm) as one of our party was very elderly. Due to the waits between courses, we did not have time for desert, and were informed (politely) before we could order desert, that we would have to vacate at 8pm because the table was booked for the second sitting.
2 starters, and 4 main courses followed by coffee, and we left £70 lighter.
Drinks on top of this were another £20. Two identical vodka/lemonades were charged 1st with a 'small dash' 30p, then with a 'large dash' 60p.
Last visit to this pub unless I hear it is under new management.

5  Thank Runningrug