“a bit overrated”

Hotel Torre di Cala Piccola
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cala Piccola
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Positive: the location of the hotel by the cliff, with great views.

Negative: The hotel is quite isolated, you need the car to go anywhere, or the bus to go down to the beach. Prices are a bit expensive overall given the quality of the room you get. The restaurant is expensive compared to similar places in the city center, and the breakfast buffet was disappointing too.

Before you go, check the temperature of the sea! it looked wonderful but it was icy cold, even in the middle of July!

1  Thank voyager_explorer

Reviewed July 31, 2012

A charming small hotel with an attentive service, great views over the Arcipelago Toscano and a good restaurant. Ideal for relaxing a few days away from the crowd. The personnel is very kind and attentive to the needs of the guests. Cala Piccola itself is a pleasure for swimming and relaxing by the sea and there are few other excellent beaches nearby. The hotel is also a good base for visiting several archeological sites of Etruria, including Cosa and Vulci. Standard rooms are a bit basic, but overall the hotel has a lot of charm and good facilities. It is the kind of place where it is a pleasure to go and to return from time to time, feeling always at home.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Marco B
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is a beautiful place. My husband and I have been there twice now and will return next year. The pool is great; unbeatable views! However, the main reason we keep returning is the restaurant! Gorgeous fish, meat, pasta, dolce. I recommend the full board, so that you can pay a flat rate for a four course meal each night. The wine list is fantastic and seems to change and improve frequently.

1  Thank 241AmandaC
Reviewed July 25, 2012

the most beautiful location on Monte Argentario (!), no question, nothing compares, great views, overlooking the see and the islands, magificent sunsets, lots of olive and pinetress, pool in the very best spot, a nice breeze high above the sea, the website can not express this really,
beautiful private beach club, you walk down 10 minutes or use the hotel bus, no sand beach, but fine equipment on the rocks, like on Capri, no crowd, with good restaurant in front of the sea, nice bay with views to Giglio, very clear waters, good diving and snorcheling, hotel-rooms relatively large, good standard quality, large bathrooms, some rooms with outstanding views and terasses, others with lesser views, but look around and check, what are the downsides of the hotel: no international tv-coverage (why this?); breakfast room is only indoors (breakfast very Italian style), you should take it to your terasse, biggest downside: the dinner-restaurant, despite fabulous location, overlooking the see, it is just very expensive, no pasta, no normal dishes, at least we can recommend the bistecca fiorentina and filet mignon, service unattentive, sorry, this needs to change, but apart from that - a great place - and a hotel manager by the name of Stefania wo is really very attentive and helpful! Certainly a place to return despite the things to improve...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rudolf H
Reviewed July 15, 2012

What I had intended to be a sparkling 4star capstone to a 3wk vacation ended up being a 2star experience at best.

On the positive side: The property itself has true natural beauty (lovely cliff and island views). The pool was very nice with a great view. Our standard room was of decent size with a modern bath. The hotel also offered an evening linen change (in addition to morning) which was great after a day at the beach or pool.

However, the negatives from minor to major, did add up and, in my opinion, sullied the stay. To provide some examples:
1) We dined at the hotel restaurant-- our meals (beef) were served cold. The waitstaff appeared overwhelmed and forgot our wine order (as well as to bring salt and pepper, after we asked).
2) Our room had a terrible odor. Also, I noticed cigarette burns on two pieces of furniture.
3) The pool/hotel did not provide beach towels (for the pool).
4) The maid knocked despite our posting of the Do Not Disturb sign (admittedly, not the end of the world, but it was rather embarrassing)

Note for pet-owners, while the hotel is pet-friendly, the rules appear to be selectively enforced. A 50lb chow was allowed at the pool, but a 30lb setter was not. Fine either way, but it's very odd to me that some dogs are allowed full access and others are not (although there were no barking or socialization issues).

Finally, I think the following exchange is the perfect illustration of my feelings on the hotel. At check-out, the hotel manager was standing at the front desk. Before writing/posting negative reviews, as a personal policy, I like to at least express my concerns to management and give them an opportunity to react. I told the manager, "Our stay was very disappointing". Her response, "I don't know why; all the other guests are happy. I don't know why you wouldn't be."
No inquiry as to why, no empathy. Essentially suggesting I'm 'wrong'.

Even assuming that I am wrong and the place is paradise on earth, is that really appropriate customer service for a "luxury hotel"?

4  Thank TrippyAG
calapiccolargentario, Direttore at Hotel Torre di Cala Piccola, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear sir/lady

we want to thank you for you opinion left and for the good thinks written about the location.
We are very afraid about the troble at the restaurant, we wanted to apology for all the thinks happened (refering to the do-not-disturb) that we guarantee usually do not happen and must not happen.
About your complain at front desk with I personally would like to explain that there have been a misunderstang probably due to the forein language.
You told us infact of the cold meat and some other problems with the dishes and what I ment to explain was all my apologies and wanted to suggest to send back the dish to have a new one. I am usually always present at the restaurant for dinner and when I ask the clients whether they are ok they tell me so even when actually they had problem and when they are not satisfied. But if they sent the dish back I can realize there is something wrong and act to solve any problem. I really wanted to thank you for your complain about it, sorry if it seamed to be I did not accept it.

For any other questions we would be pleased if you wroteus a direct e-mail as well to clarify.

thanks again

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We had booked three nights at the hotel. Our first impression was nice hotel, fantastic view, and ok rooms. The hotel is so remote that you "have" to eat at the hotel restaurant. It looks nice and have a great view towards Giglio and the sunset. But the food was not good and very expencive, in addition the waiters was inexperienced and the service lousy.
When we checked out from the hotel we informed the management of our experiences in a friendly way. The response was arrogant and they did not even say goodbye when we left. Other guests had the same reaction and experiences as us. Our recomendation is to stay away from this hotel if you are looking for something more than just a nice view.

2  Thank Lasjo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Fabulous location if you get a room overlooking the sea, as we did. Two gripes.

The advertised 'private beach' gives the impression that it will be for hotel guests only and therefore quiet. It is charming, but very busy indeed, and costs 25 euros.

The restaurant is ridiculously expensive - a small scoop of ice cream comes in a ten euros. And the main courses arrive with practically no vegetables or salad, nor are there any on the menu as extras, so you assume they'll come automatically, especially at those prices. Ther is something a bit depressing about eating a chunk of grilled tuna with nothing to vary the taste or texture.

And if you want to eat out it's about fifteen minutes to drive to Porto San Stephano, and then it's very hard to park.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cala Piccola
Hotel Baia d'Argento
Hotel Baia d'Argento
#2 of 5 in Porto Santo Stefano
A Point Porto Ercole Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Torre di Cala Piccola? Share your experiences!