“A 'proper' destination pub that delivers”
Review of The Kings Arms - CLOSED

The Kings Arms
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Living in Winchester, I am very lucky to say that I am often spoilt for choice when it comes to eating out. So when travelling out of Town to try somewhere new the expectations are always higher, making sure that the journey was worthwhile.

The kings arms is exactly the sort of place that delivered this, and more.

The Pub is visually stunning. On entry, it has this wonderful 'homely' feel to it that is matched by the warm welcome by the staff. There is a fire-side snug that looks very tempting for those long winter nights, and a quirky and equally cosy dining area for those who want to have a more formal evening.

The food is all the things you would expect from the country, with local produce, home made selections & a good influence of local game and fresh fish. The menu is not large or over-complicated, ensuring that the food we ordered had plenty of care and attention put into it when it arrived. Portion sizes are ample and still in line with value as expected.

The Garden. The garden. The garden.

I cannot describe well enough to do it justice. If you are blessed enough with the weather during your visit, ( as we were, ) the garden area is a wonderful addition to the already eye-pleasing venue.

The staff call them 'pods' and are basically themed open - air huts, with union jack bean bags in one, fresh flower beds in others, and just give you this really individual feel to the place. It also made a wonderful place for children to roam and explore. I can honestly say I've not seen this design anywhere else so far, and it was definitely the selling point for us to return during our next blessing from the English weather.

We will return and definitely recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere to take the family & Worth venturing out of town for.

1  Thank In-the-trade1
There are newer reviews for The Kings Arms

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was a great disappointment. We selected this pub from Tripadvisor for a family meal, for people coming from different directions, and pre-booked a table for six (five adults and a toddler). We should have realised, when we found the place more than half empty on Sunday lunchtime, that something was amiss.

The menu was brief, and consisted of a strange assortment of starters and mains, in no discernable order. None of them appeared particularly exciting. We ordered three dishes of smoked salmon with poached egg, one haddock and chips, and one barbecued duck breast. The waitress warned that the last was small, and suggested I order a side salad or a potato salad with it; I chose the latter. (Which was just as well, since the duck turned out to be accompanied by a considerable quantity of green salad with balsamic dressing, and further salad would have been completely de trop.)

We waited. And waited. We were brought five very meagre half-slices of bread and some butter, and fell on it eagerly. We waited, and waited, and waited. A table next to us had received their food as we placed our order; they ate up, and paid, and left, and their table was cleared. We waited. After well over 20 minutes, the three smoked salmon dishes were brought, and we were told that there was a delay with the chips. What about the duck? "Yes" was the unhelpful answer. After waiting several more minutes, three of our number started to eat, before the poached eggs got cold. After another couple of minutes the fish and chips arrived, and a little later so did the duck. I queried the absence of the potato salad, and (after I had eaten half the duck) it arrived, very cold from the fridge and without a serving spoon. We were then presented with two more helpings of bread and some more butter!

Because we had one young child and one teenager in our party, we asked for the dessert menu, but cautioned the waitress that we had to be on the road in half an hour, as we had a appointment to keep ninety miles away. She assured us this would be no problem, but warned us that one of the desserts (fruit crumble) would take ten minutes. It took over fifteen. The other desserts were brought at the same time, as was the bill. We finally left, an hour and a half after entering a nearly-empty restaurant with plenty of staff, resolving never to return.

The food was well-cooked, although slap-dash in its presentation; we had no serious criticisms of it. The prices were high, and the service was atrocious. Although the staff smiled and were pleasant when they came to our table, we were ignored and neglected for far too long. Nobody minds an enforced wait if explanations and apologies are offered; we were given no reason not to believe that sitting idly for half an hour with a hungry toddler was, in their view, completely acceptable. In our view, it was most certainly not.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Visited yesterday evening with my husband and son as a birthday treat for me. Very limited menu. I ordered salmon which was supposed to come with pesto and veg. A piece of salmon about 1" across, 1" deep and 4" long arrived sitting on some fine green beans accompanied by some potato salad. The salmon wasn't cooked properly, almost raw, potato salad was VERY cold (straight out of the fridge probably) and the potatoes weren't cooked either, I should imagine they had simply been shown the water !!! So bad that I couldn't get my fork into them. The green beans were worse, undercooked to the point of being too tough to eat - I left them. My son had the chicken breast which he decided had either been boiled or microwaved and he should know, he's a chef unlike whoever it was who cooked our meal. Won't be back.

1  Thank SUSAN S
Reviewed June 10, 2012

very warm and welcoming atmosphere, the staff were all very friendly and couldn't fault the food. The garden was beautiful and we loved the attention to detail. Would definitely recommend it, but don't take my word for it, you've got to go to see for yourself!

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Everything was average. No attention to detail or creativity in the menu. Eg my smoked salmon and potato salad starter - how original - the potatoes had 2 mins before been taken out of am ultra cold fridge. In summary don't expect much. Nice garden