“Awful”
Review of Spice Master - CLOSED

Spice Master
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Thai, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Swanley, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Waited 40 minutes for poppadums and bottle of wine and ended up paying for that and walking out after hour and 20 minutes - ended up at Red Lion where they made us very nice baguettes.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank JuneHearn

“Takeaway. Unforgivable! The food just never came. And they wouldnt answer the phone.”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Ordered a takeaway from there at 1910 on a saturday night. I know its a busy night but they did say after they took the order and have the price that it would be between an hour and an hour and a half! Which was a long time but we thought, well it is a Saturday night after all. They must be busy. So we waited and waited and waited. 1.5hrs passed so we called. They wouldn't answer either phone. We tried and tried again but they wouldn't answer. Well we cooked in the end and the delivery never came so we will never ever go back. As far as I am concerned that is unforgivable and childish to ignore or calls.

Kent, United Kingdom
“Good Location - Lack of Diners”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Over the past six months having made the journey from Margate to Canterbury on a number of occasions I was well aware of the Spice Master on Island Road, Sturry on the A28. Situated in a prominent position on the side of the road with good parking it offers Bangladesh and Indian cuisine.

Arriving with my companion on a dark and dreary January evening around 6.45 p.m. we were warmly welcomed and shown straight to a table. The large restaurant was completely empty and so we took our seats at the far end of the room overlooking the general dining area.

Once our order was taken and the drinks served there was some delay before we were offered Papadoms with mixed pickles, chutney, onion etc.. This was followed by a further delay, apologies and eventually the main dishes arrived. We had ordered Jalfrezi Chicken with Sagh Aloo (spinach & potato cooked in garlic) and Tandoori Chicken served with a small portion of side salad, Special Fried Rice and Nan bread. My co-diner though the Jalfrezi okay and my own Tandoori Chicken was well cooked and tasty if not rather dry as was the rice. This I attributed to it possibly having been left on the Pass as the Take-Away side of the business did seem quite busy. The only other mention I would make of the food was of the salad made up of thinly sliced limp lettuce, tomato and cucumber which appeared to be rather unappetizing. I enjoy salad but many eating establishments often overlook the fact that a well prepared and attractive salad can often do much to embellish the main course.

Would we eat at the Spice Master again? Yes, we would certainly be prepared to give it another try. The staff were friendly, the surroundings clean, the food mostly tasty but the service was slow and we were the only diners on a Friday evening from arrival until departure at 9.00 p.m., which left a feeling of total lack of ambience and isolation. It would be interesting to see how they manage on another evening, when hopefully the restaurant would be somewhat busier!

• Visited January 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Order the day before you want to eat”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We live just down the road from the restaurant so to save time my partner picks the food up... The first time we ordered from here was NYE so we were expecting them to be busy. We ordered our food at 7pm and were told to come to collect at 8pm. I waited at home for my boyfriend to return and he finally got back at 9:15pm. The food was good and the portions were big enough but my boyfriend was bothered by the fact that he had to wait in the restaurant for over an hour and wasn't even offered a drink. We hoped it was a one off and tried again to order some food, again going to pick it up and again having to wait at the restaurant for over an hour... 3rd time lucky we thought but no... We had to wait an hour again and when we got the food home realised that they had also reduced the size of the portions and the food wasn't as good either. Needless to say 3 strikes and they are out. We won't be ordering from there again.

• Visited January 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a total fiasco!!!!!!!”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

After eating in this restaurant on a number of occasions in the past on non tribute evenings we thought it would be a good idea to get some friends together for the restaurants Micheal Jackson night............Oh yes it was BAD!!
After being seated at 7pm and drink order taken, we then waited until 8pm for the drinks to arrive.......well some them, waiter went to get the rest of the order and returned at 9pm!! Now from walking the front door when we arrived I found it took no more than 30 seconds to get to the table...... but I wasnt carrying a heavy tray of drinks I guess! We recieved poppadom's at 7:15 so no complaint with that, the starter came 15 mins later all good at this point as long as we didnt want a drink of course. Now the fun really begins at 8:30pm still no sign of a main course arriving ask the very stressed waiters when we maybe getting the food and was told it was just coming. Around this time the two tables of 6 people either side of our group had had enough and left as like us had still not recived their main course! We continued our wait for the main course and thought maybe we would have another drink so raised my hand to the waiter to get his attention and was shouted at to go and get a drink from the bar from two tables away!!!! When the food did arrive (9:15) the waiter managed to spill the hot Korma down my daughters arm!! He then said he would go and get a warm cloth to wipe it off! Obviously we asked for a cold cloth which he managed to get. There was no first aid assistance offered but we manged to deal with this with the offer from another tables ice bucket, which we repeatedly used to apply to her arm to take the heat out. The food that we did recive at best could only be classed as nibbles as there was only enough to feed the children in the group and the parents had what was left (not much) hence some of the party stopping off at a well known burger establisment on the way home!! I can only say that if you would like to eat in this restaurant please choose one of the nights where they do not have entertainment on as you will be going home hungry, thirsty, stressed and maybe needing first aid or a trip to A&E!!

• Visited December 2012