“Proper food at the side of the road”
Review of Katz Diner - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Katz Diner
Cuisines: Asian, Diner, Indian, Nepali, Scottish, British
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place makes proper scratch cooked food with a different daily special each day.
The Friday curry is the best in Aberdeen in my opinion

5  Thank Therealdave

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I work nearby and occasionally visit for the specials, which follow a loose format and are switched around regularly enough to stay interesting. The food is decent and well priced too - no complaints there. If you're nipping out for a rushed lunch, beware that the 'everything freshly cooked' policy means things can take a while to arrive - a 15+ minute wait for food is not uncommon.

The wait is a complaint hardly worth mentioning however, next to the astounding rudeness of the proprietor. To begin with I thought it must be an attempt to come across as some sort of character with a penchant for 'cheeky banter' but repeat observation has forced me to form the opinion that she is simply a very abrasive person who lacks basic customer service skills.

I've heard her berate customers for NOT phoning a large order ahead AND berate customers for phoning ahead ("how was I supposed to get your order? I've been here cooking"). Which is it to be? The latter incident resulted in the patrons leaving and spending their money elsewhere - not the first time this has happened or the last, I'll wager.

The fact that despite this awful service, I still gave her some of my hard earned cash for a Cajun chicken burrito earlier this week is perhaps higher praise for the food than I give it credit for - but there comes a point where my colleagues and I have pretty much lost interest in supporting a business that has so much contempt for its paying customers.

15  Thank Big_Poppa_L
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant food from around the world. Always great quaitly food you will never be disappointed by Katz.

5  Thank Greig M
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I work along the road from Katz Diner, one friday we thought we'd take a walk along and see what she had to offer.

The others ordered bacon cheeseburgers, I was restricted to the special of the day which was luckily chicken! The menu is very limited. (whatever you do do NOT as if she serves chips!!!)

having stood in the freezing cold for 20mins while she faffed about talking french to two other customers, she finally took our order. Boy! what a hard time he gave us for not calling in the order,
"6 double cheeseburgers!? how am i supposed to work with this it won't fit on the griddle!? why didnt you phone your order ahead!?".
Quite hard when you don't have the phone number! after all it is just a burger van! you'd expect her to be happy with the business.

My colleague was hungover (work's night out on the thursday) she was standing waiting for her burger when Kat snapped at her:

"what's the face for huh? whats your problem?!"

We were all shocked to say the least.
When my colleague got her burger and moved away from the van Kat began to make comments about her.

"Oh she's grumpy isn't she, standing with a face on, don't know what her problem is, she could do with a tin of irn bru!".

She then tried to charge my boyfriend twice!

Seriously, this woman has a problem! What awful service we received.

I would NEVER reccommend this place purely on the basis of her attitude.

She was arrogant, rude and pompous.

At the end of the day she is a burger van, but obviously thinks she's something special and above everyone else.

The food's nice but why bother when all you want is your lunch and you get a barrage of abuse.

8  Thank D-Smithx
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Standing in the shelter of Katz Diner with a blizzard whirling around the queue of customers while watching the food being cooked allows the taste buds to tingle with anticipation. How can I give this the same rating as a Michelin star restaurant when it's so different? This is no ordinary stall at the side of the road though. Everything is cooked freshly from the burgers and hot dogs, both of which are excellent. Breakfast rolls are wonderful, freshly cooked black pudding, haggis or square sausage from local butchers are served with a smile. I haven't had the courage to order the birthday bacon butty yet (an entire pack of bacon!!!). However, good breakfast is, the real delight is the lunch specials which change every day, from Philly steaks, sausage and mash to noodles on Wednesday and curry on Friday. You'll have to wait though, as nothing is being kept warm on the side so you get it fresh and hot.

Attention to hygiene is excellent with frequent use of hand gel (on top of gloves) and the use of temperature probes to ensure food is cooked. Katz is also knowledgeable about the products, whether it is the origin of the haggis to how to make your own bacon.

Value for money can't be beaten and the portion sizes are sometimes a struggle but the taste hasn't yet disappointed.

4  Thank Smudges-dad