“Best time ever!! Awesome Experience!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinandega
Surf With Amigas- Women's Surf and Yoga Retreat
Ranked #1 of 8 Chinandega B&B and Inns
Hauppauge, New York
“Best time ever!! Awesome Experience!!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Surf with Amigas was the most amazing trip I have ever taken. Do not wait a second longer and book your trip, you will have the time of your life. The surfing was awesome and the instructors were great with everyone. I was a complete beginner and was able to surf with no problem. The adventures were equally amazing as was the yoga. The food was out of this world, and everyone that I met was just absolutely wonderful. I was overcome with emotion at the end of this trip, it is just hard to put into words how wonderful the entire thing was.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Encinitas, California
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The hosts at Coco Loco are inspirational world-changers with a sweet mellow vibe that sets the tone for the entire week. Coco Loco itself is a setting to die for: falling asleep to the sound of waves, showering under a canopy of banana leaves, ocean views everywhere, swimming in the pool beneath so many stars it feels like you're floating in space... Truly an escape to bliss. It *is rustic, so don't be surprised - this isn't a walled-off luxury resort by any means, but I slept like a baby under my mosquito net, never felt unsafe and wouldn't for one moment have chosen to swap such a soulful experience for more 'luxury.' The Coco Loco hand-sewn hammock and gentle breeze were all the paradise I needed. And somehow those composting toilets are way less foul than typical porta potties. Also the food is beyond words. Fresh, amazing variety, so healthy and utterly, unspeakably delicious. And the Amigas themselves? What a cool group of women! The teachers are so stoked on Nicaragua and teaching surfing and yoga I felt supported, challenged, inspired and ALIVE. As a total beginner I improved way beyond any personal goals I could have imagined for myself, I feel vastly more comfortable paddling out to the lineup and in the end I was catching green waves on my own! Such a blast I swear after a sweet drop-in I felt a rush of emotion and welled up a little. Sounds cheesy but with a group of supportive women loving life and having a beautiful adventure together I felt completely free to be my cheesy self. The yoga instructor, Nikki, was the first to introduce me to yin yoga and after the American 'Jane Fonda Workout' type yoga I'm used to I'll admit it was a bit shocking at first. But I spoke to many fellow Amigas on the trip and we all agreed that Nikki's yoga had an authenticity I hadn't experienced before in my quest to master Firefly pose and score a tight booty. The meditative aspect of yin yoga was something my soul needed more deeply than I knew and Nikki brought powerfully simple but utterly relevant intentions (like stillness and love) to each practice. The day we went volcano boarding and skipped yoga I could actually feel my mind and body yearning for some yin yoga bliss. And like we weren't getting enough of a workout paddling for our lives and galloping on horseback all day?
On that note: The other activities! I didn't want to volcano board- heights and speed aren't really my thing- but I couldn't go to Nicaragua and not do it, so there I was, after one of the gnarliest hikes of my life, staring down at two steep tracks scored into volcanic ash that seemed to race into oblivion. And the thing was, I did it. And I went slower than an old mule. But I did it!! Then I cheered and gasped as my fellow amigas blasted down at up to 70 MPH! And that type of adventure bonds you for life. As an avid equestrian galloping on the beach WAS my thing and I couldn't wait - and let me tell you after 25 years on horseback I swear I've never had more fun. They match the horses to your ability and I think my horse and I might have actually lifted off a moment there we were FLYING. AND we had an opportunity to give back to the community and learn about Waves of Hope. I hung out with some kids and blew bubbles and colored and helped paint the high school and experienced how three friends with a vision and a heart of love can live a life of meaning and spread bliss. But what am I doing?? You just need to go yourself and have your own adventure! I promise it will be wonderful. You'll return home smiling, alive and transformed! I love my amigas forever!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Amy M
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My Surf with the Amigas adventure was absolutely out of this world!! I was in bliss during the entire trip! The hotel, the staff, the instructors, the food, the additional adventures (like volcano boarding and horseback riding) were all awesome!!. Everything is top notch! Every meal had us drooling for more-you will absolutely never go hungry here. The cabanas are clean and super cute. The instructors made the challenge of being a beginner suffer easy and broke everything down into manageable pieces. They know when you need a little boost of confidence and when to cheer you on. The women that cam on this trip with me were equally awesome. This trip drew such a fantastic group of women who were full of adventure and good energy. We had the trip of our lives together and there was absolutely zero drama. Yoga with Nikki is also out of this world. We had the most restorative sessions after each surf lessons. She brings in different themes and has a good sense of what the group needs on any given day. Ready for a trip that will change your life? Then this is the trip for you! Thanks Holly, Jamie, Jackie, Skyla, Michelle, Nikki and all the Coco and Amiga staff and crew for such an amazing experience!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had the best time ever on my trip with surf with amigas. We surfed every morning.. did yoga every afternoon and had amazing adventures at night. My favorite was galloping on horses at sunset on the beach! El coco loco was a great place to stay where I always felt safe. I think the best part of my trip was all of the people I met along the way. Holly, Jackie, Jamrock, Nikki and Grom are all super friendly and funny..and they make you feel welcome. Most importantly for me was that they gave me the confidence I needed to have the most fun possible the whole time.

I'm for sure in for another surf with amigas adventure in El Salvador!

1 Thank Crystal M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was my second time back there. I think I enjoyed it more the second time with respect to the surfing aspect because of my improvements. The instructors always seem to be in the right place at the right time. They are super smart and are very willing to share everything they know to help you succeed. I love the all girl dynamics because we could just be ourselves and have a really good time. By the time we got there on the van ride from the airport, we were already good friends.

The food was so good and lots of it. The surfing was outstanding and the atmosphere was infectious. I didn't want to leave, and I will be going back in April for their Costa Rica retreat.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I had a wonderful experience with Surf with Amigas. As a beginner surfer who is still learning and doesn't live near the ocean I want a lot of time in the ocean and smart, sensitive instructors who are there to help me learn. That is exactly what I got at Surf with Amigas. Holly, Jackie, Jaime and Holly the Grom adapted to the range of skills and experiences in our group and allowed us to log as much time in the water as we wanted. Yoga with Nikki helped keep the aches away and kept me centered. The beautiful environment and great hospitality of El Coco Loco and the option of other excursions in the area allowed lots of time to enjoy my first trip to Nicaragua and the company of my new friends at the retreat. This area is still relatively unknown so the waves weren't as crowded as they are elsewhere. I am almost reluctant to spread the word so the line-ups remain uncrowded but I will happily recommend this to anyone looking to learn to surf for the first time or improve on their skills.

Room Tip: The location is a bit off the beaten path but that just means it is quiet with easy access to the be...

1 Thank VStroich
San Francisco
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Holly's Surf with Amigas retreat was a mixed bag. I'm glad I went and got to surf in Nicaragua but I wouldn't go again because I'd like the opportunity to get out and explore and use my fluent Spanish. I also would have liked more surfing. If you don't speak Spanish and like everything taken care of, this'll probably be more your speed. Holly and her instructors are easygoing and definitely want to see you stand and surf well.

Surfing is only in the morning, so if you're a diehard surfer, you're out of luck if you want to surf all day. It's also at the same beach, a 15-minute walk away, and there's no option of checking out other breaks. Instead, there are afternoon activities like yoga, volcano boarding and horseback riding. The schedule is set by Holly and her instructors and if you don't want to participate, it's ok, but the only alternative is to hang out at the pool, in your room or on the beach. You don't have a say in what you're doing any day, which if you're an indie traveler like me, can get old if you want to peel off from the group or do something different.

The hotel is 20 minutes down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere and there's no nearby town to explore if you want a break. The group consists of about 12 other women and much depends on the dynamics of your group for your experience that week. You're assigned a cabana with 2 other women, like summer camp, and this can either be fun or miserable. Mine were a mixed bag.

Everyone eats together. The food is plentiful, the location beautiful and the staff helpful. The cabanas are simple and rustic. No a/c or hot water. Toilets are composting.

The yoga instructor, while full of passion, was a beginner and talked throughout our practice. She was stumped when I asked her for suggestions for my injuries and didn't ask before every practice if anyone had injuries or suggestions. I missed my instructors w/ 10-15 years experience back home.

Finally, the price for this retreat is $100s more than other surf retreats and I didn't think it was worth the extra money. Yes, Holly is a former pro surfer but at my level, I can't really max her talents.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hollybeck27, Owner at Surf With Amigas- Women's Surf and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
This review is focused on our North Nicaragua retreats. I would strongly disagree that our retreats are not for "diehard surfers". We love getting girls who love to surf and want to surf all day! We schedule each day around the best surf conditions, taking tide, swell, and wind into account. Our location in Northern Nicaragua is normally best in the morning. Around midday the wind comes up and afternoon sessions are often bumpy. For that reason, we do very long morning sessions. We bring a cooler of drinks and snacks to the beach so that surfers can do two sessions before lunch and hydrate and snack in between. We will surf twice on the first day so that the guests realize that the afternoon sessions are nowhere near as good as the morning sessions and will therefore surf themselves to exhaustion all morning and enjoy the other activities in the afternoon. That said, if there is a "die hard surfer" who wants to surf again in the afternoon, we have an instructor willing to accompany them at any time of day. All you have to do is ask!

We primarily surf one surf spot which is about a ten minute walk down the beach. The surfboards are stored down there, so you don't have to walk with your board. The nice thing about being walking distance is not having to wait for the group to be ready to all go at once. Guests are welcome to come and go as they please. The one spot is great for all levels, is also relatively uncrowded, and a really beautiful spot. It's the best spot in the area for beginner to intermediate surfers and that's why we primarily surf there. Depending on the level of the group, and the swell conditions, some weeks we do surf other places as well. But we won't go surf a different spot if the conditions are not right, just to go somewhere different. Our goal is to get the ladies into the very best waves for their ability so that everyone has fun!

Our Northern Nicaragua location is very remote which is what makes it so awesome, in my opinion. We are far from the overly touristy town locations and hidden in "true nicaragua" instead. We are near smiling local fishermen and have empty pristine beaches. There are plenty of opportunities to get out and use or practice your Spanish, even more so than if we were located near a town full of other backpackers.

Our yoga teacher is amazing. Please read through the other reviews where guests rave about her yoga. Since our guests surf all morning until they can't paddle any longer, the yoga sessions focus on yin, restorative yoga with breathing, stretching, and a guided meditation focused on relaxing. Each class has a theme that is based on whatever is going on at the time. It might be about the full moon, overcoming fear, believing in oneself, etc.

For surfers with some experience that want to surf surf surf multiple times a day, have more free time to pursue "indie" solo tours of the area, and walk to a town, our El Salvador and Philippines trips may be more to your liking!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinandega
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
#1 of 51 in Managua
Hotel Los Portales
Hotel Los Portales
#1 of 3 in Chinandega

Been to Surf With Amigas- Women's Surf and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!