“Surfing Nicaragua with Rise Up”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinandega
Rise Up Surf Tours Nicaragua
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Surfing Nicaragua with Rise Up”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I just got back from an amazing trip to Nicaragua. Top of the list is with no doubt my stay at Rise Up Surf. Not only is this spot a beautiful and unspoiled spot, that makes me dream away while writing this. Also the food, the surf, the yoga, the riding, the people, etc. is nothing less than fantastic. Regarding the surf, I was a newbie. However, the instructors' helpful, motivating, and patient attitude has convinced me that anyone can learn to surf here. I couldn't get my hands down after I caught a green wave on my very first day.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Last April was my third trip to Nica to surf, and we chose Rise Up. From the minute they pick you up at the airport to the minute they drop you off, you are in great hands! Phil is an amazing owner and the team is no less professional. Getting to the resort and not feeling well, Hugo made me a warm, ginger based concoction that helped almost immediately. The food is incredible, the views spectacular and the rooms are spotless. The surf was great and them having their own panga made each day an adventure!

We are going back again, this time to the new camp and will post feedback then. I recommend Rise Up to everyone who asks about going to Central America.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I needed a break from my job - and this was an incredibly restorative trip. I was at the Salinas camp with two friends. There were four other people who were there the whole week with us, but we had other intermittent visitors - all of whom I hope to keep in touch with. We did not have internet - so you actually had to interact with people! A novel concept, I know. But I honestly think the people and the experiences we had absolutely made the trip. A huge THANK YOU to Gemma, Chinto, Alexis, Fabien, Dan, and Tara. We were never at a loss for activities, and the food, conversation and warm atmosphere were just what the doctor ordered. Volcano boarding, yoga, boat trips and fishing were on tap besides surfing - and it is just taken care of.
I would warn you that it is more laid back than you might be used to when it comes to booking. If you MUST have a confirmation number - this is probably not the trip for you. My advice would be to "relax. It will work out. You will have a great place to stay and you will make great memories and friends."

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SFNatF
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 26, 2014

If you are looking for a very cool alternative to pricey resorts but still want to have 5-star customer service experience, look no further.

We are a family of four, two kids 11 and 9. We have stayed in the resorts in Cabo, Tenerife, Barbados and even Costa Rica but for all the money I’ve never gotten the value we got with Phil and his staff at Rise Up. The new facility is absolutely stunning; it is a remodeled hotel that sits on a bluff above the most beautiful stretch of beach you’ll see anywhere. 180-degree view of the endless pacific from the pool, the bar, the dinner table, the hammock and the spa.

The Crowd: Completely eclectic mix of people from all over the world, families with young children and teenagers, groups of post college age friends, solo travelers and even a few seniors. We were there over Christmas with 20 other people including Danes, French, US and Aussies. There was every opportunity to be as social as you wanted in fact most of us traded emails and phone numbers and are already in touch.

The Food: Jamie runs an unbelievable kitchen, 4 meals a day, all organic, super creative, always right on time and she was able to accommodate special diets for a few of the guests without a problem. Every meal was unique and we often had the fish for dinner we had caught on the boat only hours before.

The Fun: Surfing, volcano boarding, fishing, yoga, trips to Leon town or just spending the day in the hammock reading. There is never pressure to do anything but always something available to do. Oh yes and an awesome fun happy hour every day of the week.

Customer Service: As you’ve read in other posts, Philip makes the experience; he is a unique entrepreneur with a growing influence in the region due to his good nature, sustainable tourism philosophy and keen business sense. Safety was never a concern; we arrived on a late flight from New York and were met right at the gate and driven in an air-conditioned car directly to the resort. The staff is hand picked and most grew up in the local area. Great oversight in the water with my young children. More towels, extra pillows, special diets, borrow a mobile phone or request a special trip to town, nothing was ever a problem.

We made our reservations for next year before we left.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nelse2
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 9, 2014

A spontaneous urge to get out of the hustle of city life (for me from LA, my friend from Toronto) had us looking into surf camps in Central America which landed us at Rise Up Surf. Phil is the kindest owner/operator I've met at any resort/vacation destination. Oscar, Sherrie & Norbin were excellent surf coaches for us beginner surfers. The food was amazing and creative and healthy and we never went hungry, courtesy of Jamie the chef extraordinaire. Mostly vegetarian but with occasional fish or chicken entrees and primarily local sustainable ingredients. We loved hanging out with the staff all week, everyone was super cool, laid back, accommodating and fun. Our yoga instructor - Steph - was excellent at guiding practice based on how everyone was feeling after all the surf sessions. Loved her vibe and nurturing guidance, although she is only at the camp for a short time. Overall, it was a great get away to ring in the New Year. The rooms were spacious and comfortable with AC & private baths in Aposentillo. It's the newer camp on the North Pacific Coast that just opened and a beautiful property. I loved waking up early to sip my coffee at sunrise looking out at the vista where the pool lounges were. The camp exceeded my expectations and I'd come back here in a heartbeat!! Thank you Phil & team!!

Room Tip: There are 2 locations for Rise Up Surf - I am reviewing the Aposentillo camp where I stayed. I like...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Nova Scotia
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We found Rise-Up on Trip advisor and all the 5 star reviews were not wrong! When we landed, we found out that we were actually going to the new location in Punta Apostentillo. It is absolutely gorgeous, right on the cliff over looking the beach. Beautiful rooms with lots of wood. Food was fabulous. Both my friend and I are beginners (35 and 48 year old females) and Hugh had us up and surfing on our very first try! He is an amazing instructor. Wonderful yoga (and much needed!) with Annie. Great trip down the volcano and horseback ride on the beach. We met so many wonderful people. First time I came back from vacation looking way better than when I started :) Some of the people we met were on their 2-4 trip, that says alot! I would go back over and over again to enjoy the surfing, yoga, food and people. Exceptional staff, it was like being with family. Can't wait to come back. If you're not sure if you should go....definitely go...you won't be sorry. Also perfect for lone travellers as well.

Room Tip: We had room 1 that overlooked the pool. We loved it but all rooms were nice!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Rise Up Surf is absolutely perfect for anyone who likes to live on the beach and surf whenever they please with the waves all to themselves..

The quality of the food was outstanding!!!! 4 great, varied and fresh meals a day... The staff was as good as they come and arranged some fun trips between surf sessions. They also make a great margarita:):):)

For beginners and intermediate surfers this place is heaven.. Frequent mid-size waves on a perfect sand-beach. If I needed instruction, there would always be an instructor nearby ready to help.

Accommodation was in great condition, clean rooms with AC and the beds were superb. Bathrooms are shared but they are cleaned everyday.

I have nothing but great things to say about this place!! I have had plenty of hit & miss in both Costa Rica and Nicaragua, but this place was a big hit:-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinandega
Redwood Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Chinandega
Hotel de Campo Apastepe
Hotel de Campo Apastepe
#4 of 9 in Chinandega

Been to Rise Up Surf Tours Nicaragua? Share your experiences!