“Blissful Retreat After A Day on the Pistes”
Review of Hotel 3 Vallees

Hotel 3 Vallees
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Although part of a modern building, this delightful hotel immerses you into an Alpine world of warmth and intimacy from the moment you step through the doors. Family owned and run, the service is friendly and helpful but not oppressive. Evening gatherings in the bar were made more fun by the delightful Toby at the bar - a maestro at cocktails and keen to ensure all his customers are well looked after. We found choosing your evening menu at breakfast sometimes quite difficult (it's hard to imagine rich food at 8am) but the food was always well prepared and we were certainly very well fed throughout the week. As in the bar, the restaurant service was very good.
The bedroom was quite small but well appointed and very well cleaned every day - we happily flopped in here after a hard day's skiing.
We also ate at the sister restaurant in the mountains. Upstairs, the food is really very fine dining (with prices to match) but very enjoyable - you must book in advance to ensure a table. Downstairs is the self-service area - good but still quite pricey and the step down from the canteen area towards the outdoor dining area felt steep with a tray in your hands and ski boots on feet!
Overall this was a fabulous week - we came home with lots of happy memories all helped by the gentle and helpful service provided at the Hotel 3 Vallees.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed in 3 vallees for the closing weekend of Val Thorens (5-8 May).

The room was in line with a 3 stars hotel, all covered in wood which give it a nice chalet touch. The real difference in this hotel lies in its restaurant, which is delicious and offers a large variety of dishes, far superior to the average offering in half board plans of comparable places.

Breakfast is really plentiful, with fresh orange juice, a large selection of delicatessen, eggs, fruits, and much more so that you can ski the whole day with such a good start. At that time, you have to choose your option for the dinner which is already opening your appetite given how gourmet the options look like. It alternates local specialities (eg raclette) and tasteful creations including superior products such as scallops.

Great wine list, try the 10-year old Riesling, surprisingly sweet!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We chose this hotel based on the Tripadvisor review, and we can say it is certainly lived up to our expectations. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful and did everything possible to make our stay confortable. A lot of people wrote here about delicious food in the hotel restaurant - that is true. The food is really, really fantastic. Rooms are not so spacious, but practical. The location is excellent, close to the slopes and lifts. We can wholeheartedly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Denis_TR
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Enjoyed a one week stay while snowboarding in Feb. Best part of our stay was the food - tasty 3 course meal every evening, restaurant quality rather than the often basic style of ski accomodation.

Rooms were basic but always warm, plenty of hot water and very clean. Between 2 of us we had 3 beds with plenty of room for suitcases etc.

Good location, easy walk to lifts, ski school, shops, bars, etc. Even though was in the centre, no issues with noise, etc.

Nice to have a sauna - although if you are in a large group it fits probably fits no more than 3 or 4 people at a time.

Lockable personal lockers are available in the basement for equipment - using your room key (although this is not heated so my bindings were frozen a couple of mornings, no big problem and it was -25 and colder while we were there). Heated boot room by reception.

We had a very early morning flight and the hotel kindly provided a breakfast tray for us the night before with food & a flask of coffee. There is no lift and our room was down 3 flights of stairs, but staff offered to help us with our bags.

Enjoyed my stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is a great hotel with really excellent food on a daily basis and lovely hospitable team. Our room was quite small and basic but comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights over Easter. We arrived Sunday, reception was friendly and gave relevant advice (although advice on long term parking was a little unclear) short term we could park our car nearby to bring bags etc in, no help offered with bags but everything else ok. We were allocated room 108, I booked last minute and was advised that only 2 rooms were left, we wanted a balcony so went for a twin with balcony. I booked because of the great tripadvisor reviews and in anticipation of the great food. Ski facilities are ok, locker for skis is down rubberised steps so ok in boots and a bootwarmer is in reception, both are very narrow so can become awkward and crowded at peak times. Ski Hire is available direct opposite the hotel in snowberry SkiSet, we didnt know this until too late, but advice book online as you can get 50% discount through snowrental. Location is ok not on the piste and around 100 yards up hill to a track slope, it is not obvious how to return as near to possible to the hotel at the end of the day so check with reception as they know but didn’t readily offer this advice. We have children and I am not sure I would bring the kids to this hotel as it is a trek to ski school and childcare. Lift passes are available 50 yards away from an express machine and from pass office but the office not open until 9. Parking is biggest issue, you must use a Valthopark or the hotels parking, Hotels parking was very narrow and my discovery would not fit in the bay, I went to Valtho 0 it was full and ended up parking at Valtho 1 (with suspension lowered as its only 1.85M headroom) a good walk away and a hassle to trot back and forward, advice would be get a hotel with parking nearby or at the hotel if possible or pre book Valtho 0 parking and go straight then after unpacking to secure your place. Food , Bar and Restaurant: Bar as small but friendly and drinks average to ok price - Wine list was ok not too extravagant and a small selection (6 or so) from good regions across France, burgundy wines a little pricey but otherwise it was possible to get adequate wine for under 35Euro a bottle). In the bar nibbles were offered at 630-7 but were not offered after 730 so we had to ask each night and got olives and nuts but asking was a pain, 2nd night just olives with a surly look! Restaurant no booking available so pot luck on tables, we waited until 8pm to go to the restaurant so tables were available but the waiters were not immediately welcoming to offer a table of your choice - they preferred to offer the ones available and left set up. We wanted a window table and got one upon asking. Not very welcoming in the restaurant we my general impression, generally waiters not as friendly and helpful as reception seemed to be, on a couple of occasions unfriendly and service dropped off after 9pm then they seemed to get distracted out of the restaurant and we became a problem to them. Food : As other reviews have mentioned a choice of veg/fish and meat main course, starters a choice of 2 or a soup. First night I have a Cheese puff pastry which arrived looking burnt on the top, I assumed it was a feature as the reviews were so great but it was in fact burnt. I made the waiter aware and asked him to feedback to chef but I heard nothing and no action seemed taken. My wife had a pate that was ok. For main course I had a lamb shoulder in a pot , was quite innovative and I watched another guest open one with a pop as the steam was released, mine opened with no bravado and may not have been hot enough for the effect, however tasted good but some fat lumps present that I am not keen on and a little sloppy in texture generally. My wife had fish which was good sized fillets with a salsa dressing that was the best fo the 2 dishes. Cheese was offered when we asked, waiter bought over a selection but the blue was a tiny slice and he suggested we share, I asked him to bring a new one which he did , but he did not offer. Dessert we waited and waited for and in the end we went to the dessert table and were about to help ourselves when the waiter came back and plated for us. I thought the dessert table was a poor idea and would be wiser as a menu choice, I am sure the pile of deserts looks good at 7pm but by 930 it looked like a war zone, we took deserts to our room which was a good touch. 2nd night we had a mozzarella tower, tapenade with roquette (roquette was sour and reported but no action seemed taken), mains were braised venison and another fish dish similar to first night, nothing greatly memorable - on both nights fish dish slightly better but very similar to each other. Cheese was the same selection as first night and deserts were this time offered again from the Dessert table. Things I noted, Coffee never offered as an option, nor an aperitif or digestif available or offered. Plates frequently had finger prints and smudges on (especially my venison dish), feedback was not acted on, waiters varied , weave mats on tables not replaced just wiped, had to insist on table if you wanted to sit somewhere specific, never saw the chef, Dessert table a little difficult to impress with. Breakfast was a good spread but a little bit of a squabble for tables, fresh oranges were available for squeezing but I am not certain that everyone squeezing their own oranges in a juicer that required constant manual intervention with hands , knives and spoons is a great hygiene idea, I would prefer kitchen to squeeze the oranges and the waiters to serve it. Coffee was poor quality in pre made flasks; tea was DIY with hot water and T bags. Boiled eggs were possible DIY in a boiler but results were hit and miss, same cooked option each day, omelette and frankfurters. Now the ROOM : Earlier in the afternoon of first day I hear our neighbours phone ring and clarity on her telephone conversation, so soundproofing side to side not great. On return to our room on 1st night I could hear constant tapping and scraping on the ceiling, I had to play music to drown it out to get to sleep, I put this down to noisy neighbours. However AM from 6 was the same, tap tap tap , bang bang , scrape scrape. I made Elise aware that my room was noisy she seemed surprised and offered no solution only to note that a double room was available with no balcony and I could check it out later. 2nd night same issue bang bang, tap tap scrape scrape, then we realised we were below the restaurant kitchen !! Next morning from 530-6 tap tap scrape scrape and then CRASH as somebody dropped something above. So room 108 was left because it was noisy ?! I raised the issue with reception again 2nd morning, this time the chap at reception who was very friendly again looked very surprised as had his counterpart, I suggested as feedback that as this room had inherent noise issues then maybe they should mention this at time of booking and that the room rate should reflect the issue, I did not suggest they had tried to hide this issue - maybe if I had then I could have forced a discount but on this occasion I didn’t want a battle just to move on. We decided not to stay a 3rd night for 3 reasons, 1: weather was changing and Val T can be bleak in wind and snow, 2: our room was noisy and expensive compared to the R&R it offered, 3: Food, Bar and restaurant was nothing memorable, certainly not what I anticipated from the reviews (have eaten at la boite, l’oxelys, Bel Air Pilatus, Caribou - all great and memorable for different gastronomy reasons). We opted to cut short our stay by 1 night and the hotel were obliging and gave us space to leave our bags for the day which helped with the parking and luggage issue, we did ask if we could use the room as a base until 5pm but it was not offered, reception remarked they could sell our room ! A little bit of a ramble but I do hope this is perceived as an honest experienced view and helps people , nothing worse than finding out for yourself the challenges and high expectations potentially becoming dashed. May go back if I can get a room higher up on floor 3 or 4, with a slope and west view.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the lower ground floor level 1 if you can help it. Dont anticipate excellence