“Poor rooms & cleanliness, good location”

and 1 more site!
Residence Le Chamois d'Or
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
Salzburg, Austria
“Poor rooms & cleanliness, good location”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I've been visiting Chamois d'Or for five years in a row for one reason only - a good location, being close to lifts. If you need just a good starting point as close to the lift as possible and you don't mind poor cleanliness and unfriendly staff then this might be your choice, everything else is very basic. Otherwise, I have never been in a hotel where staff is so rude. Since I've been in other accommodation in Val Tho also, I have the feeling that this is kind of "standard" in this price range. I do not consider myself as very picky referring the equipment and service (I even don't mind that wifi in the rooms is of no use since it so slow), but in a hotel, even if it is a "chicken-battery-hotel", I do request some basic cleanliness of the room. What matters most to me is that I can rate the rooms as being filthy, and so far I have experienced five in a row! Rooms simply lack basic hygiene standard, the equipment is not worth to spend time with in this review (but then again, it's not better, e.g. in Les Temples du Soleil in Val Tho). I wish Anthony Melchiorri, hospitality expert from Travelers Channel "Hotel Impossible" would do a survey one day. No matter what you look at - dirty mattresses (blood stains etc.), filthy bath fans or cigarette ends on the balcony. When I discovered obviously not very old blood stains on mattress on my arrival and requested a clean one, I got ignorant reply that they have not a replacement and why to complain since the sheets will come over it. Hello!!! France, EU, 21st century, for crying out loud ...
The check-in service is also very slow and they don't seem to strive to be very friendly. Practice is that there are only two ladies at check-in desk even on the most busy hours of the arrival day. They always ask you to leave your cell phone number so they can inform you when the room is ready to move in prior to 5 pm - I never got a call in five years.
So, anyone who will read this review - I am not too critical or demanding, it's just mine observation including my friend's family with which we spend the vacation together for five years in this hotel. It's true that some rooms have been renovated, but most of them are beaten-up. In skiing season this hotel is regularly full, so the owners and staff obviously have the attitude "Why to bother & improve if not necessary - we are booked!"
As I pointed out at the beginning, we keep coming in this hotel just because of the skiing area and since the experience with the Residence Les Temples du Soleil in Val Tho is not better.
Due to lack of cleanliness, unfriendly and ignorant staff (not to mention the "beaten-up" furniture, horrible and disgusting beds in rooms) and no evidence of will to improve the service in all the years that we are coming here, I could NOT recommend that accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank andy n

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
Wirral
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Arrived early (~12:30) only 1 person on reception, very slow check in, despite there not being many punters at this hour. Bedding and towels extra. Couldn't get into apartment until after 17:00 - they could have prioritised "cleaning". Booked a 6 man room for a family of 4, (2 x teenagers). No way could it have coped with 6. Only 4 chairs around dining table.
Dirty and grubby - I had to take a pile of crockery and pots to reception as they still had food on (reception replaced them promptly)
The bunk "cabin" was of course a corridor, with the light and pillow end directly opposite the toliet, so any nocturnal dumpings were most unwelcome for the kids sleeping there. Loo was small with a big water heater in, but after 2½ showers, it ran cold.
Kitchen - typical basics, about enough stuff, but only tiny coffee cups. No welcome pack to assist with cleaning, or even bog roll.
We were in a refurbished room - I would hate to stay in a basic room. New tiny dishwaher was positioned so badly it could only open half way - made stacking somewhat awkward.
No internal rubbish bins is a bit of a pain. Rooms at the front suffer from supermarket delivery noise early morning.

Good points
Nice and warm to too hot, but we shouldn't complain about that. Staff dealy with issues promptly.
Despite previous reviewer, I thought that the boot room was relatively spacious, though it could do with a bit of heat to dry out boots. Locker big enough for 3 x snowboard and 1 x ski, though if we had filled out apartment to capacity, we may have struggled.
No night time noise. Brilliant acces to pistes.
Helpful ski shop at base, Irish bar next door and a well stocked Spar very close.
Good wi-fi.

Would I stay again ? Probably yes

Room Tip: Try to get slope side and one of the "refurbished rooms"
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fuzzysid
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I went here last week with 4 of my friends. When we arrived the reception was closed so they left our key at the reception. The room was for 6 adults. It was very small for our group. Also it wasnt very clean at all. When we came back one evening , we said hi to the receptionist who told us to shut up. The staff at reception werent ever very friendly and never even said hi. I have never been to a hotel where staff have been so rude or impolite. We are a group of students and were treated as if we didnt deserve to be here. they spoke to us as if we were stupid. before leaving the room we cleaned it to the same state it was in as we found it. the cleaning ladies made us do it again whilst watching us and making fun of us , instead of offering us their cleaning material ( the only thing in the room to clean the appartement with was a houver) . also the dishwasher didnt work at all, and all the plates were dirty when we arrived.

i definitely wouldnt recommend this place to stay . i had a great holiday though apart from these rude and obnoxious people

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lucyhutchines

Travelers are raving about these Val Thorens hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from a great week staying here. Yes the rooms are fairly basic and small but the views, if you are mountainside, are amazing. The access to the slopes is excellent - truly ski in ski out. We took the evening meal option. The portions were huge and very good. Only complaints were the unpredictable wifi, scalding hot water and lack of opening window - we slept with the door to the balcony open at night as the room got so warm. Love Val Thorens - suitable for those who love big, wide blues to those who need the thrill of reds and blacks - runs and jumps.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sue l
Carlisle
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The staff were helpful and friendly, the apartment was lovely and clean and everything in it was working properly. The standard of accommodation is basic but as we were there to ski we didn't need anything other than basic. The beds were comfortable and we all slept well for once.

The location is perfect. The main meeting point of the lifts and ski school is just minutes from the ski room door. Our balcony overlooked the main slopes with a fabulous view of the area.

The Reception area is spacious and comfortable. Our departure time was two hours after we had to check out of the room but we were able to look our luggage in the baggage room and wander around the shops. We were also able to get snacks and drinks from the machine and use the toilet whilst we waited.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris C
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2012

stayed here for 5 nights with family - wife and 2 kids (1 and 3 yrs). really loved the location, right on the pistes, and the view from our room was brilliant - view all the way out to Caron across the pistes. room/apartment was basic but very good value for what we paid. staff all very friendly and helpful.

only slight negatives were that there were no sheets on the beds when we arrived (you have to pay for these on top, apparently), and they also charge up to €90 if you want them to clean your room when you leave, which seems like an odd concept to me, being used to hotels.

depending on what room you're in, there can be quite a bit of noise first thing in the mornings from snow wagons loading up with beer/ food etc to take up to the restaurants further up the resort, but didnt bother us too much as we're up early with young kids anyway!

overall, despite a couple of minor negatives, thought it was very good and would consider going again. offered an affordable option when many other places were quoting 3 times as much.

Room Tip: stay at the opposite end to the Chamois restaurant, as high as possible, and ideally overlooking the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank dave011978
UK
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

4 of us stayed in an 'apartment'. The accommodation consisted of 3 rooms, one double bedroom, a
Living room with kitchen and pull out bed, a second bedroom come walk in wardrobe with bunk beds, room with bath and a toilet. Plenty of room for 4
With 2 men in the party.
The location was fabulous, ski
In, ski out. There is no better
Place in VT for location. Under the hotel was a spar which doesnt sound great but had everything you needed with a croissants in the
Mornin fresh and rotisserie chicken at lunch and dinner time. Fantastic service! Our room had a funny smell for the whole week but I put that down to people cooking something odd before we arrived. The beds were very basic with sheets which didnt really fit the bed, but it's a ski resort. The heating was brilliant of you ever
Got chilly inside (rare) a quick
Blast and it was boiling! Plenty of crockery. Boot room easily accessible. Easy to reach the shops and nightlife. Basic, but convenient and clean. You don't need more at a ski resort unless you want luxury.

• Stayed January 2012