“Great après ski”

La Fruitiere - Val Thorens
Ranked #7 of 69 Restaurants in Val Thorens
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: La Folie Douce est un concept "Fooding-Clubbing" : un lieu, deux ambiances. Il y a d'abord la brasserie gastronomique La Fruitiere dont l'univers lie tradition et modernite, puis des 14h le bar et son immense terrasse a toit ouvert ou interviennent les fameux PARTYMAKERS qui ont fait la renommee de La Folie Douce de Val Thorens.
Durham
“Great après ski”
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Great après ski! Party central in Val Thorens.
Lovely hot chocolate and chips during the day.
The highlight of my trip behind the power snow & off piste skiing.

1 Thank kelizabeth78

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Canada
“Great soup”
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We stopped for lunch and had a great hearty soup. Like most places on the hill it is expensive. We also enjoyed the apres ski party just before the ill closed. Tis is geared more for 20 year olds but still fun for all

UK
“Must visit”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our family visit Val Thorens regularly and we always visit Folie Douce at some point during our stay. The lunches are good quality, plentiful portions and very reasonably priced for VT. I would recommend getting there in good time for lunch as it gets very busy. The drinks are mountain prices but that doesn't seem to put people off! As you pass Folie Douce on the ski-lift you can see, feel and hear it as the afternoon progresses and it's definitely a party place outdoors. Always impressed at how well someone can play sax so well, outdoors at that altitude.

I understand there is some smoothing out of Plein Sud (the run back to the village) happening which I am glad to hear about. It's our last run home in the afternoon... it can be challenging when you've got tired legs at the end of the day and some people have overdone the partying and you have to negotiate the "folie douce fall-out". But it is a great place.

We have been visting this place for years...that's me, hubby, my brother, my 11 and 16 yr old and my Mum and Dad. None of us has ever had any problems with security there, in fact I barely noticed them, but we are aware that you pay...what? 1 euro each or less? for the facilities...as you do at a lot of places in France.

I cannot account for what happened to Michael P, there seems to have been some level of miscommunication. Michael P doesn't sound like many of your "English abroad" in VT who are frankly a right royal pain and I don't understand why they visit another country. I can honestly say, from my experience, I only have good things to say about Folie Douce.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank snowqueen65
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Amazing restarunt right on the slopes!”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is a great place to stop off at while skiing around the 3 valees. There is always music playing around the restaurnt, and we were lucky enough to be able to see a live performance there on the balcony. It has a great atmosphere but is a little expensive! A fantasic place just to have have a drink and relax while having a busy day skiing!

• Visited April 2012
London
“Aggressive, intimidating and out-of-control bouncers”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My wife and I stopped for a quick lunch at La Foli Douce where we used the self-service restaurant and ate outside. After lunch my wife went to the toilet and was told that there was a charge to use the toilet. She declined to pay saying that she had had lunch and therefore did not expect to be charged to use the toilet. This was accepted by the staff.

I then went to use the toilet and also told the lady that I wasn't willing to pay a charge when I had paid €35 for lunch for two. When I came back up the stairs after visiting the toilet, there was a security guard, a big man (over 6' and around 18 stone) at the door, and he wouldn't let me leave without paying. I asked to speak to the manager. The bouncer claimed not to understand and said "pay" over and over again. I repeatedly asked for the manager but I was ignored. When I tried to leave, the bouncer blocked my path and a second man grabbed me from behind.

I then said I would call the police but my phone was in my jacket at the table. So I asked my wife to call the police. Someone who purported to be the manager then arrived but I don't think he was as he didn't look like the manager of a big restaurant and he also spoke no English which is very unusual in the Three Valleys. This person listened to the bouncer and a message was translated to me by someone else saying that we would be let off this time but that I had been "disrespectful" to the woman who guarded the toilets. This was not true.

The security guards, of which there were now four, then tried to forcibly to remove me from the restaurant. As I was being manhandled, I asked my wife to bring me my phone so I could call the police. The original security guard then took my jacket from my wife and refused to return it. My wife, who was quite agitated by this time, made a lot of noise as she was scared that the bouncers were trying to force us inside. Eventually I got my jacket back and tried to return to our table to collect our gloves and other equipment.

The bouncers would not release their grip on me and then the man who purported to be the manager started to manhandle my wife as well. I gragged his lapels and was then taken to the floor by the original bouncer and his colleague. Realising that it was time to cut our losses, I stopped resisting and was allowed to get to my feet. The security guards then forcibly removed us from the premises.

I was still saying that I would call the police and as we left I went to take a picture of one of the bouncers with my camera phone. He grabbed the phone off me with his left hand and grabbed me by the throat with his other hand. In the end I managed to get my phone back and we left as fast as we could. We returned to Meribel and made a formal report to the Gendarmarie as well as reporting it to the tourist office.

Needless to say, we won't be visiting again.

• Visited April 2012
17 Thank Michael P
leonor V, Responsable relations publiques at La Fruitiere - Val Thorens, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
M. Michael P.

We take comments on Trip Advisor very seriously, each one is read carefully and feedback goes to our staff, music group or kitchen when required and measures are always taken.

I was extremely surprised to hear about this dreadful experience, as we have never had any complaints about our security, who are the result of a careful selection of professionals.

Nevertheless, I immediately transfered your complaint to the manager and the owner, and proceded to investigate what could possibly have happened that day.

Just so you know, the toilets outside of Folie Douce are considered by law Public Toilets. The girls in the entrance go down every 45min to clean them up and make sure they have toilet paper/soap etc... This is they're pay. This is totally legal and this is how it is done in a lot of places.

As it turns out, they let you and your wife go many times, even though you had been very rude.

The 3rd time they did call the bouncer - who is trained to never use violence but in effect asked you to stay put until the manager (who is also the owner) came to assess the situation immediately. All agree to the fact that the violence was only coming from you, to the point that our Manager, M. Tournier asked you to leave the Folie Douce considering your behavior. You refused to do so. Our trained bouncers led you out, and to my astonishment, you managed to put one down.

You must be quite fit yourself M. Micheal P.