“Great location and cozy decor”

Residence CGH Le Nevada
Ranked #10 of 78 Specialty Lodging in Tignes
London, United Kingdom
“Great location and cozy decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We have just got back from Tignes, Val-Claret.

The resort is one of the best I've been to in all aspects, but mainly skiing. Very well connected slopes so it's easy to travel around the whole Espace Killy.

The resort is higher than other Tignes villages or Val-d'Isere therefore even thought in the bottom it was +6 one day we still could ski the whole day. Great place for beginners as there are a lot of green areas.

There still were old and slow chair lifts but not the majority. Val Claret itself is very small, but you will find everything that is essential there, including a supermarket which works on Sunday and a very nice Boulangerie.

The place was mainly packed with young people rather than families. There are many bars, restaurants and other nightlife, so it's a great place to go with friends. Not many restaurants on the slopes thought.

As to the residence, the apartments are small but comfy and cozy, light, warm and clean. We had 2 bed apartment A2 very conveniently located to the SPA, with small open plan kitchenette which was equipped though with branded appliances. Small but Flat screen TV. Beds are comfy, and you can rent bathrobes and slippers for SPA.

When we arrived, we realized that the water in one of the showers didn't drain, so we reported the problem to the reception and it was fixed the same day.

As to the SPA, it was packed all the time. IT is very cozy, but as to whirlpool pools, they aren't working properly, although still enough for relaxation.

Overall, the whole resort and hotel combination gave us a very good holiday, so I definitely recommend both.

For ski rentals, go to Intersport Jhana - outstanding service. Restaurants - they are all pretty much the same, the best place for us was a little place by the Tufs lift with teddy bears inside, can't remember the name thought... (not the Grizzly bar thought, next to the right of it).

Room Tip: ask to be closer to the SPA if you are planning to use it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tatiana L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

I won't say that the residences du nevada aren't good, but the photos on the site show the rooms in the suite du nevada. That IS an amazing hotel, but it's more expensive. The residences have good sized, clean rooms and an amazing spa. The ski locker is downstairs and has a big size. It is a good hotel in a great location, only a 5 minute walk from the slopes.

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank Livingthedreamco
Tel-Aviv
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

OK. I admit it. I am a fussbudget. As a matter of fact, I consider myself the mother of all fussbudgets. So if you are not, you might want to stop reading here. I book my ski vacation 5 months in advance; I pay top $$$ for my vacation, since this is the one week every year which gives me quality time with my family, and I want everything, absolutely everything to be perfect. And when its not… I'll come clean – IT SHATTERS MY WORLD. And this was the case here. As reference to my sanity, though, please refer to my review last year: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g196714-d575725-Reviews-Residence_la_Ferme_du_Val_Claret-Tignes_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html, not only from a similar establishment, but actually one under the same management, which caused me to return to this chain, only to be very very very disappointed. And especially reading the review of my predecessor, I can absolutely see that what happened in my week there was not coincidental.

First things first – let's get the good out of the way. And there is a lot of good. The apartments are very nice; They are very very comfortable for 3; 4 would find it pleasantly accommodating. 5 or 6 could have crammed in, but then there would really be no living-room, which would make the entire setup not that great. Free(!!!!) wireless Internet works flawlessly.
The pool, saunas, jacuzzis – all top notch. And all that is on premise and that's absolutely great. The fact that what they call "the training room" has only one treadmill, a couple of bikes and one cross-country device, did not bother me much, as really the last thing I want to do after a day of skiing is hit the gym anyways.

The not so good. The first is really on me. I learned the hard way that one cannot overstate the importance of a ski-in/ski-out accommodation. The walk to the nearest lift (which, in all fairness, is very central, has short lines, and can connect you to anywhere in the resort) is 5-10 minutes, and that's what the agents will tell you as well. However do that with your boots on and carrying your skis when you are still cold in the morning? A nice way to get yourself warm, but definitely not fun. Do that _after_ a full day of skiing. Really not fun. Lesson learned: compromise on anything, but the ski-in/ski-out option. The second is on cgh. And falls clearly under "false advertisement". The site, as do the agents, claim that all rooms have a direct private phone line. That was an important feature for me, as I needed to take calls, and the roaming charges on the cell phone are killers, especially when receiving calls. Well guess what? According to the on-site manager, cgh decided to cancel this great feature, but they "forgot" to take it off their web site. So I could get incoming calls on my "direct line" phone only a few hours a day, when the reception was manned; 10AM-noon (very helpful, like I did not come here to ski) and the slightly more reasonable 4PM-8PM;

The bad: making my reservation 5(!!!) months in advance I explicitly did the research and asked that my room configuration be with 2 toilets. Guess what again? I got in and got a room with only one. Well… at least after some arguing they changed that. The room I received was very mal-maintained; Right off the bat I needed to replace 6 (count'em 6!!!) light-bulbs. The room was not clean, I found many leftover items from the previous guest. The microwave would not rotate (took over 24 hours to fix that one). All-in-all, not what one would expect. Then there's my favorite part - the utensil counting ceremony. Guest are required to go voer all the items in the apartment, knives, spoons, plates, cups... you name it and fill out an appropriate form. Two comments here: a. I just paid 1500 Euros for this week; you think I'm going to try and make up for that with a spoon? Secondly and more importantly - there were quite a few things missing, which makes one wonder... why are we doing this count if nobody even gives a hoot? And then there's the toilet paper; one roll of paper for an entire family for one week? And only 2 garbage bags? Wow! Must've saved a whole lot on that one.
Then there was the TV thing. The site and the agents promise a multitude of satellite channels. I had only 6 and they all spoke French. And every day they told me they would fix it, and every day they did not.

Once again – I am a fussbudget. So you will say "big deal – so no phone line, 1 toilet and no TV". You are absolutely right. That's why I told you that if you are not a fussbudget like myself you should have stopped reading this review a long time ago. But… I am…. And here's the thing… Had I paid… I don’t know… $500… maybe…$600 for this week, maybe, just maybe this would have been acceptable. I shelled out almost 1500 Euros(!!!), making the reservation 5 months in advance. I mean I don’t think I could have found a more expensive place even if I searched real hard. And for that I got an accommodation which not only that did not justify the 4* it is assigned, but a level of service which does not even justify a 2* establishment.

So which stay was more indicative of cgh? Last year's wonderful stay at La Ferme? Or this year's horror story? I'm afraid that like many other establishments the macro-economic situation results in a lower level of service across the board, and there are probably things that even money cannot buy. This affects the maintenance of the place, its cleanliness, and even the communications with cgh itself. Too bad.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank DoronG
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

Having just returned from a week staying at this hotel I felt compelled to write a short 'pro's and con's" review -

Pro's

- Well apportioned rooms
- Really good spa and pool area which is largely unused

Con's

- Our ski locker was broken in to on the first night and our skis were stolen. Whilst I appreciate that this happens on occasion it was the way the whole episode was dealt with which was disappointing - the reception staff just didn't care and it was left to the manageress to try and smooth things out. The hotel has no CCTV in the locker rooms and evidently a problem with keys being copied. When asked the hotel would not confirm that they are now going to change the locks (same locks to ski locker and apartment) so the thief can still gain access to both!

- Velux windows in the apartment are covered in snow (of course) which then melts at night and drips into the apartment soaking all who sleep below them. A man was sent round with some bathroom seal at 9 PM two nights after we reported the problem. He covered the windows with white goo whilst they were wet and they continued to leak until another man was sent the following day to clear the snow.

- The apartment technically slept 8 in 3 bedrooms (2 more sofabeds in lounge) but the third bedroom had a ceiling which started at around 7 ft and quickly tapered away to 3 ft or so meaning that no one could actually stand up in the third bedroom

- Location described to us as "ski in ski out" by ski independence. Make no mistake it is not - there is a 5-10 minute walk to the nearest lift and a10-15 minute ski/walk if you want to use any of the other lifts.

The reason I have felt the need to be so damning in my review is because this place is so expensive. If it were a cheap hotel you might be able to forgive leaky window and badly pitched roofs but we were expecting top quality.The accommodation is flawed, the staffing poor and the location average. There are plenty of better places to stay

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank vedev
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

We stayed at Residence le Nevada for one week during the ski season. There were 4 adults (incl 2 pregnant women!) and 2 toddlers. We needed somewhere that could accommodate the snowboarding dads happily, as well as those that were unfortunate enough to not be able to ski! The Nevada was perfect really. The location is in the centre of TIgnes Val Claret - only a short walk from the large supermarket and the ski lifts (incl the funiculaire). You can also walk across the lake to Tignes le Lac for different shopping/eating etc. THere is even a small playground and some sledding hills for families there. We went dogsledding on the lake, which we organised through Evolution 2, and the kids loved it. The apartment is well stocked with kitchen equipment and thankfully has a dishwasher. The lounge does have sleeping facilities for 2, but they involve one sleeping on the couch and one on a trundle bed (ie bed that rolls out from underneath the couch). These beds are ok, but not as good as the ones in the bedrooms. The ensuite has a shower, but no toilet so you do have to share one toilet for the whole apartment. There is an excellent room in the basement for storing ski equipment and boots - you use you room key to store your equipment in its own locker, so it is very safe. We used the pool every afternoon and didn't find it too cold at all - even for the 2 year olds! There is also 2 hot tubs, which were more warm than steaming hot.
All in all, a great place for a ski holiday, esp if you want to self cater.
BTW - stear clear of the Tex Mex restaurant - it is expensive and the food is crap! Le Caveau is fantastic and Grizzly's Bar is very funky, but expensive.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Rika76
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

Le Nevada is a nice step up from the usual apartments in ski towns. The interior is charming but the rooms could have been a tad larger - especially if you have to people sleeping in the living room. The nice indoor swimming pool, spa and sauna provides a great way to relax after a long day of skiing. Le Nevada is in reasonable walking distance from the slopes.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

Le Nevada is a very comfortable complex located on the lower edge of Val Claret. We stayed in a 2 bed apartment sleeping 6 people. Overall the apartment was very good with a few niggles with the design i.e. toilet room with no sink, you had to use the shower room (no toilet) or the kitchen, the pool was always cold as was the 'hot' tub which was a bit disapointing, the steam room was excellent! The supermarket is across the road and the main drag with restaurants is 1 min away. To get to the slopes in the morning a 3-4 min walk is required as on the return but it's easy enough. The kitchen is well stocked and has everything you may need to prepare a proper meal. I would stay here again in the future.

• Liked — Comfortable beds, well stocked kitchen and good location
  • Disliked — Cold 'hot' tub
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank dougiet33