“Nice, but can't be worth the money in winter.”

Hotel Village Montana
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Tignes
London, UK
“Nice, but can't be worth the money in winter.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights in July for some summer skiing and walking. This hotel is the poshest mountain hotel I've stayed in. For context, I normally spend about £600 - £700 for a week in a chalet in winter including flights. A comparible holiday here in winter with the same travel agent I normally use is about £1200. I'd just never pay that. The reason being, it doesn't offer that much more.

Sure the bar is nice, the pool is lovely and the rooms are quite big. But on a ski trip, I could visit this bar from my chalet, go to the main pool in the centre of the village which looked good and would be happy with a smaller room, saving me a fortune.

The rooms, while big, were really dark due to the wood paneling.

Breakfast was excellent with an extensive buffet. It was really quiet so it may be a bit of a scramble in winter.

Would I stay here again? In summer, definitley. For 95 euros per night including breakfast I thought this was well worth it. In winter, definitely not.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank ferretbanana
Bertrand Branko P, Propriétaire at Hotel Village Montana, responded to this review, October 14, 2014
Dear mikethomp

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience at the hotel Village Montana in Tignes with the Trip Advisor community.

Good comments such as yours are quite important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to the concerned persons.

It is pleasing to know that most of the aspects of your stay were commendable.

We look forward to hosting you again soon in the future.

Very kind regards,

General Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not good.
Big and unfriendly.
Their beds are as hard as planks of wood. Cushions tiny, hall lights that don't work, uncaring staff and awful hamburgers. Don't waste your money and find somewhere else in Tignes. At breakfast I opened one of the hot food containers and the steam that came out almost scalded my right hand. I pointed this out to the catering manager who really couldn't have cared less. When he realised I was annoyed by him saying "it's ok" he offered me some cream to sooth the pain.
Big deal! Not a word of apology
Their food was rubbish. I mean awful. We both had hamburgers and whilst mine was ok my wife's was dry and stringy.
The waitress who served us was apologetic, spoke to her manager and offered us desserts for free to say sorry.
We declined.it would have been better and kinder if they had simply removed the price of one from the bill.
You also have to pay for parking.
Outrageous. Why? Their garage was practically empty. High season, or in the snow perhaps, but not in the middle of summer.
Guys, if anyone out there does read this please do not book here, there are plenty of other hotels in Tignes. Reason for the 2/5???
It has a very good Spa and pool and the Spa attendant was very kind and helpful.

Stayed July 2014
Bertrand Branko P, Propriétaire at Hotel Village Montana, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Guest!

Thank you for your review.

I sincerely regret that your stay was spoiled by the lack of service from our team and that your overall experience at our hotel felt so disappointing.

I have already shared your comments with Mr. Yves Thibaud, our operations manager, whom you met on arrival and departure.

Please allow us to demonstrate our quality service at the time of a future visit.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Lovely for a short break in the summer.

I stayed in the hotel by myself as I was visiting my son who was staying elsewhere with a group. I asked for a quiet room and got one - the room was clean, comfortable and large (for one person) The staff were friendly and helpful, the dinner and breakfast were both excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed lounging on the sunny terrace by the swimming pool. It was just what I wanted and very good value. I was able to park my car in the underground carpark. The hotel was clearly not full but at this time of year it was very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest!

I am delighted to learn of your satisfaction with the bedrooms, food and beverage, sunny terrace by the swimming pool, underground car park and, of course, our wonderful location.

Your compliments have been shared with Mr. Yves Thibaud, our operations manager and his team members who were glad to note that their professional and friendly attitude contributed to your enjoyable stay.

I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We had a great time. Can highly recommend this hotel.
Positives:
1. Great staff. Very friendly, helpful and genuine. One of the best things about this Hotel is the staff. This includes Reception (nothing too much trouble even when we locked ourselves out of the skilocker), dining room (felt valued at every meal), housekeeping (changed to 2 single beds from double, more pillows, all no problem), skishop (swapped boots and skis 3 times)
2. Lovely bedroom, water always really hot apart from one night when the Hotel became full, go for balcony room as view superb, deckchairs on balcony to sit in the sun. Towels big and fluffy, dressing gown and slippers provided, very clean.
3. Bar with wood fires, really nice staff, and lots of cocktails!
4. Ski in ski out no problem even last week March, ski hire at Hotel to save carrying, locked personal skilockers
5. Lovely 5 course dinners, huge breakfast choice tho get down early if you want a banana!
6. Pool and spa lovely

Negatives:
Really not much at all.
1. Hotel became full last three days but staff coped well, tho dining room busy (looked like a conference as all knew each other)
2. Plastic cover on my matress annoying (maybe as single beds also for young children)
3. Very cold spell when we arrived for three days and room a little cold, not possible to turn up heating in room tho we didn't ask. Could have lowered curtains to lie on floor as draft mainly from patio door.

Altogether a great hotel with easy access to the slopes, friendly staff really made the holiday. We will be going back!

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Bertrand Branko P, Propriétaire at Hotel Village Montana, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Guest!

Thank you very much for providing your glowing five star review following your stay with us at the hotel Village Montana in Tignes.

We really appreciate your taking the time to leave your feedback which helps us to consistently provide an outstanding experience for our guests.

We were very pleased to know that you were satisfied with your stay at the hotel and that you could also enjoy meals in our four restaurants and had a good time in our SPA “Les Bains du Montana”.

Your compliments have been shared with our team members who were glad to note that their professional and friendly attitude contributed to your enjoyable stay. Your satisfaction is our main goal and your feedback is our best reward.

In addition to our fantastic team members, our location is another reason our guests keep returning.

We look forward to welcoming you back and we want to assure you that every member of staff at the hotel Village Montana will do the best in order to make your next visit even more enjoyable..

With warmest regards,

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Ski in,ski out, sunny terrace, large bar, choice in Restaurant, Spa and pool what more to ask for. This is our first time in Village Montana in Tignes and we will definately return!

We are a family of 4 with 2 young children.

We were welcomed by a young, spirited but professional staff who were helpful from beginning to end in organising our stay with our children.

The Hotel is charming and cozy with mountain feel. We loved the bar area which has newly been decorated with a classy modern feel but still inkeeping with the rest or the hotel.

Our room was large and spacious for 4. The children had their own space at the entrance of the room with a window (which makes a change). The room was very clean and the cleaning staff very accomodating to the nap time of our youngest. With the beautiful weather we were able to enjoy the balcony and also the terrace.

The spa is a great plus and the girls were excellent and what a plus to have a pool outside!

This hotel is perfectly situated on the pistes,in a quiet area, slightly out of the centre of Tignes where it can get very noisy and busy. We found the hotel very relaxing with everything we needed to hand. Just a stone throw from town if you want to enjoy the night life!

WOnderful holiday... a big thank you to all the staff. We will definately return and recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the terrace and the pool. Lovely sunny balcony!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Bertrand Branko P, Propriétaire at Hotel Village Montana, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience at the hotel VillageMontana in Tignes with the Trip Advisor community.

We highly appreciate your feedback, which has been forwarded to our manager, Mr. Yves THIBAUD, and to all persons concerned. We are delighted that we made such a positive impression, and our team will be very pleased by your comments. As guest satisfaction is our priority, you may be assured that our staff will always be dedicated to improving the quality of service offered to all our guests.

We are pleased that you like our hotel for all the reasons you generously listed, and hope you will give us further opportunities to welcome you back.

Thank you once again for your recommendations.

With warmest regards,

Haslemere, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

We first stayed in this hotel in 2007 and we are staying at this hotel right now (8th April 2014) on a half board basis. We have been here since 1st April and thank goodness we are going home on Thursday.

Before I set out why this hotel is now so awful I should make it clear that my comments do not reflect on the staff all of whom are cheerful and helpful.

When we stayed here in 2007 we had a great time but during this visit we have noted that:-

1) The rooms are shabby and are not properly maintained. It seems that the common areas (at least the bar area) may have been refurbished but our room has bath tile grout that is dirty and looks like it is covered in mildew has a carpet that is worn, frayed and marked and a balcony floor that is so poorly maintained that I question it's safety. There are other issues such as badly marked walls, a shelf that looks like a very poor DIY handyman has put it up and a general lack of maintenance.

2) Far worse than the shabby rooms is the noise. Every knock, bang, voice, footstep, door being closed, draw being opened, tap being run from the rooms above, below and to each side can be heard very, very clearly. The noise starts at 6.45 (from the room upstairs) and continues off and on until about 11.30 pm. If you want to hear your neighbour(s) go to the toilet then this is the hotel for you otherwise, trust me on this, it is unbearable and thoroughly unpleasant.

3) A minor point, the wireless internet is woeful. So bad that I have taken to going to a bar to send/receive e mails. Perhaps not a problem for many but if you need to be in contact then you will not be. Reporting the issue has achieved nothing.

This is not a budget hotel and if the rooms and maintenance were to the standard of the young staff then it would be worth the rates charged; they are not and it is not. There is much better on offer in Tignes, do yourself a favour and book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Barrister237
Bertrand Branko P, Propriétaire at Hotel Village Montana, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Barrister

Thank you for your comments. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

I am disappointed to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and is genuinely concerned about the issues you raised in your review. Your feedback is taken into consideration and we take this an opportunity to improve. However I can guarantee that we do everything in our power to work with any guest until they are fully satisfied. Please feel free to contact me at 0033 (0)4 26 78 26 78 or alternatively email me at bperkov@village-montana.com

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Nice position near to ski lifts. The two restaurant are good, even if the quality is medium and cooking not always in line with expectations.
Rooms are ok, but double beds are hilarious in the setting: two ones merged very uncomfortable.
Sap ok, even if gym missing. They should focus more on people not skiing or if weather is bad and alternative things should be offered. Billiard (balls and sticks) not for free.
Nice lounge area, even if music should be better selected. The waiter in the first floor lounge is one of the best seen since a while: very professional and precise.
Good internal ski service and car parking.
They should better inform customers coming if the road passes are closed for snow.
Receptionist should speak better english.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carlov1
Bertrand Branko P, Propriétaire at Hotel Village Montana, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear guest

We would like to thank you for your feedback concerning your recent stay in our hotel Village Montana in Tignes.

Your comments are always very helpful and useful for us as we always try to identify customers’ needs and meet their requirements.The guest satisfaction is our priority, so we have taken into account all your comments regarding our service and facilities in order to improve our quality of service.

Although the majority of our guests enjoy skiing, for the guests who do not ski we propose to visit our Spa “Les Bains du Montana” which is free for hotel guests. Here you can find Nordic outdoor swimming pool (32°C), saunas, oriental steam room, Jacuzzi, relaxation room, and also herbal tea room. The Spa “Les Bains du Montana” is a heaven of tranquility and relaxation. One can restore its vitality, well-being and energy with our “à la carte” beauty treatments, or our dream massage packages that we propose to our guests.

You can also enjoy the cracking of wood in the fire place in one of our bars or visit one of our four restaurants with traditional or Savoyard cuisine.

We hope to see you among our guests next year so you could share your new experience and give us the opportunity to provide you with satisfaction of your stay.

With kind regards,