“2 person, twin room stay for one week, late Jan 2013.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chalet Chardons

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tignes
Chalet Chardons
Ranked #1 of 16 Tignes B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“2 person, twin room stay for one week, late Jan 2013.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at Chalet Chardons for one week from 19th to the 26th of January 2013. I was travelling with a friend and we stayed in a twin room (bunks).

After reading many TripAdvisor reviews I was waiting, or even expecting, for there to be some kind of catch. After paying a total of 200 pounds for the entire 1 weeks stay, inclusive of breakfast, afternoon cake, free tea and coffee and 3 course meal every evening, there had to be some kind of catch!

There wasn't! I was extremely happy with the Chalet and I couldn't recommend it enough! If there was one of these in each of the resorts in the world I wouldn't hesitate about booking every trip with them.

Yes, the accommodation is basic, but that was expected. Our bunk room was small with very little storage space which lead us to live out of our suitcases for the week. Our room shared a toilet and shower room with another room next door (which was a double). But that being said not once did I bump into any one on the way to/from the bathroom from that room and I believe it was fully occupied all week. The room was clean, there was always hot water for the shower and I rented a towel for the week for 10 euros (of which you get 5 back). I would compare the accommodation style to that of the nicer hostels you find around Europe - with the exception of the food which I'll talk about later. I would HIGHLY recommend this if you're travelling on your own, for people of all ages, or in pairs or small groups. I probably wouldn't recommend this chalet style if you have small children.

Breakfast was plentiful, with a choice of plain and chocolate croissants, porridge, cornflakes and either hard boiled or scrambled eggs (alternated each day). There was also sliced baguettes on the table with butter and jam available and orange squash. Tea and coffee facilities were available 24/7.

After a days boarding/skiing there is always some form of cake available from 4pm which helps to tide you over until dinner at half 7. Happy hour is 4-5 pm with 5 euros for a pint of Amstel (though it was only 5.30 anyway I think during normal hours). Typically after getting showered we would get a pint, some cake and relax in the upper bar area using the free WiFi to check emails or whatever.

Dinner was fantastic. With massive self-serve portions of hearty, home cooked style foods. Typically things like Lasagne, Curry, Casserole, etc etc. All dinners were 3 courses, and the starters and desserts were great too. The seating arrangements were changed each evening so we often sat next to different people to share stories of the day. There was free red and white wine on the table, though not being a wine drinker I couldn't speculate on how good it was. Though I think it would be fair to say it was quite cheap wine! But it was free so it seemed to get finished every night!!

Best of all were the staff. They were extremely helpful whenever they were required and just generally friendly all round. Shout outs go to our hosts for the week Dolph and Alex, to Peggy behind the bar, and everyone else including the girls in the underground bar downstairs.

From a resort accessibility point of view, I was slightly concerned that Les Brevieres is right at the edge of the lift system, requiring a gondola and lift to be able to board down into Tignes. However those worries were unfounded. On 4 of our 6 days we were able to go to Fornet (far left of Piste map as you look at it, Les Brev is far right). If you wanted to you could hit Fornet, both Glaciers and back in a day. Also if you like tree runs, Les Brev is the only place in Tignes where you can get that as the rest of the resort is above the tree line. Though for the best tree runs check out Fornet in Val D'Isere underneath the cable car - forget about the unpisted black run (actually called Fornet) and just go off piste either side of the run straight back to the cable car base station. Loads of options for the intermediate and advanced.

tl:dr - The chalet is fantastic, the rooms are basic but clean, the food is plentiful and great tasting and the staff are brilliant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed in apartment linked to chalet chardons, where we ate and socialised over the new year period. The staff were friendly and so very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The food was plentiful and of excellent quality, they catered differently for my children who are VERY fussy eaters (everything served to them they ate). The staff here helped to make our holiday a very pleasurable experience. Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank saz c
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

this is a budget hotel, bedroom wise, you get what you pay for, would have loved a bigger room & our own bathroom, but hey ho, it was cheap, clean & the food was good & plentiful..
the staff were brilliant, always smiling always helpful..
we will definitely be returning... had a fantastic holiday!!
will ask for a different room next time!

Room Tip: 10b is a tiny room would be better with bunk beds
2 Thank Susie C
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ate and socialised over Christmas at Chardons, absolutely fantastic staff, excellent food and the best atmosphere. Our accommodation was in an unassociated chalet which was very unwelcoming but the staff at Chardons did everything to make our trip amazing. Highly recommend!

1 Thank IrishAussieLondon
Manosque
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

The only reason we had a good time was because of the 2 amazing chalet girls. Before I booked the chalet I asked chalet chardons what the options were for my 3 year old son (I stated his age) who we wanted to learn how to ski. They said its no problem we have a close relationship with ESF in the village and Evolution 2 based in Tignes le Lac. Also they would provide a mini bus to get my son from Les Brevieres to Tignes le lac. So I felt assured by this and booked the rooms. I then started to approach the ski schools regarding my son and they informed me that he had to be 4 to join in on the ski lessons. So I had to book him in to Malmottons in Tignes le lac but they did not provide a minibus. So I had to drive my son every morning in really sometimes dangerous conditions every day and I myself missed out on a substantial amount of ski time! It was absolutely terrible!
We were staying in Chalet Belvedere which is apparently a luxury chalet with flat screen tv’s in each room. Yes it had a 17 inch flat screen in the room but it didn’t work. The wifi in the chalet also did not work and we had to stand in the corner of one particular room to get access to the neighbouring chalets wifi. The rooms were also very small. The picture on the website must have been for the family room upstairs as the ones in the rest of the chalet were barely big enough for 2 single beds.
The food was great however and the chalet girls really did make you feel at home. Well done and thank you for that. We could not have asked for better chalet staff.
I will not be using chalet chardons again as they offered no apology for their misguided information.
Also the lift was not working down to the ski lifts a lot of the time which made one very long walk just to ski.

Room Tip: When booking do not take their advice. Do the research yourself. Also the lift was not working most...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gravitate
Mark H, Owner at Chalet Chardons, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
To respond the points in the review

1/ From our email records it seems there was a misunderstanding on the part of the reviewer. When they enquired about ski lessons for their child we put them in contact with Evolution 2 and the ESF and they then organised their lessons with them directly. The ski schools do organise buses down to Brevieres to collect guests but it would seem neither company offers lessons to three-year-olds. As a company we don't own any vehicles so could not help out, even if we wanted to. Our advice would be to research these aspects carefully before making a booking if they are very important to the enjoyment of a particular holiday as, whilst we try our best, we cannot possibly know the individual policy of every company we recommend or do business with.

2/ The lift to the chalets has been unreliable this year. We have complained to the Town Hall and action has been promised. This lift serves all the new chalets in Breveieres so when it is out of order it's not only us that's affected, it's every chalet in the Hauts des Brevieres. Walking up takes about 6 or 7 minutes but, I acknowledge, it's not welcome even if this aspect is completely out of our control.

3/ The issues with wi-fi we apologise for, same with the televisions. This is the first year running this chalet and there have been teething problems. We paid a company to get both working properly and they've not delivered so we have switched contracts and are now awaiting an engineer who will, hopefully, resolve the issues mentioned.

4/ This chalet was built in 2006 and is part of the Bear Valley Chalet Development. All these chalets are, give or take, identical, the only difference when you book through us is the price you pay. Buildings in ski resorts in France are, it has to be said, built to a smaller size than in many countries but this one is no different to any other modern chalet, especially at this price-point. Huge rooms in ski chalets are available, of course, for several times the price per bed...

We thank the reviewer for their kind comments regarding the food and service which I will pass on to the chalet staff.

Best regards, Mark Hayman. Owner, Chalet Chardons.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Second Xmas staying here, lots of new staff but they certainly have the Chalet Chardons friendly and helpful attitude that we have experienced on our previous visits. Keep it up guys and gals you are doing a great job.

• Stayed December 2012
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Our 2 weeks at Chalet Chardon's was more than we could ask for. The chalet staff were so friendly and the service was excellent. We stayed in a double room although I believe most rooms are dorm style with bunks. Breakfast and dinner were included 6 out of 7 nights each week allowing the chalet staff 1 night off a week. Breakfast was self serve and dinner consisted of a 3 course meal or banquet style them night (Ie. Curry, naan bread, rice etc). The food was always delicious and there was plenty to go around.
The communal eating/living area also gives plenty of opportunity to meet new people so you will be bound to make friends to hang out with at the Chalet or go out skiing/snowboarding with.
The chalet itself is only a couple of hundred metres from the ski lift and looks out onto a beautiful lake.
Chalet Chardons had everything we needed and we would definitely recommend anyone looking for value for money accommodation to go to Chardons.