“English run chalet with a good atmosphere”
Review of Alpaka Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tignes
Alpaka Lodge
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Tignes
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a few days in January. Our room was a double with ensuite bathroom - nothing fancy, but quite adequate for our needs. The Alpaka is in an excellent location being just a few minutes walk to the main lift area of Tignes Le Lac. The communal areas are cosy and welcoming, the restaurant has great views over the mountains. The bar is extremely lively and there is always something going on there at night , mainly a British crowd - a good atmosphere. It was good to be able to choose whether to eat in or out and we felt it was good value for money in this very expensive resort. We ate in a couple of evenings, the food was plentiful and tasty, not cordon bleu but as good as any average British chalet I've been in. The breakfasts were excellent, they even had English bacon! The staff are friendly, if a little laid back. All in all, if you are looking for good value, a great apres ski bar and nothing too upmarket or fancy then this is the place for you. Beware of Tignes prices though - although the skiing is out of this world!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blondieBath

Reviewed January 12, 2011

just returned from a weeks stay at the Alpaka lodge. A fantastic hotel which my husband had stayed at before and insisted we stayed at during a weeks ski-ing holiday with our two children aged 5 and 9. It is in a great location just a few minutes walk to the Aeroski and Palafour lifts and the smaller beginers slopes. Our youngest went to the Marmorettes ski school everyday from 930 to 1630 and really enjoyed himself, having good lunches and lots of ski-ing. The hotel has a lovely bar area with a real fire which is great to sit near. The breakfast was very good with unlimited amounts of continental fare and a full english breakfast cooked to order. During the day there was always french bread and jams left out and cake and tea and coffee were served at 4pm. The cakes varied-coffee, carrot, brownies, victoria spronge. Dinner was absolutely fantastic, four courses which were freshly cooked, one night we had duck breast which was cooked to perfection. We had some very tasty soups and each night would be a different meat-morrocan chicken, lamb shank and the best Tartiflette I have tasted in my life.
We had rooms 109 and 110, the childrens 109 has a shower and seperate loo, ours 110 a bath. The water was always hot. The rooms are basic but very clean-they smelt of bleach on our arrival. The beds very comfy with extra pillows and blankets in the wardrobe should you need them but our rooms were warm enough. The service Jill and Zander gave to us was faultless. I have read the other reviews and would just like to say that the live music is only on once a week and I wouldn't tell you what time it finished as I was fast asleep in my comfy bed after dining like a queen!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2010

I have stayed in the Alpaka before when on lads trips and have turned a blind eye to one or two rough edges . . . .ageing fixtures and fitings (especially bathrooms)and a dingy bar with a filthy floor that stayed open so late as to have no regard for the guests. What the place always had was good food and a lively atmosphere.
Hey presto a new look Alpaka with re-furbed bathrooms, new barlounge carpet and lighting and a resident friendly bar curfew. There is even a "quiet" area set aside where residents can chat or use the hotel wifi in relative peace. A nice balance has been struck between visitors and guests.
Too good to be true? I hope not, I have booked to bring my three kids (8-14yrs) here for New Year week!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I was invited to join friends for a weeks skiing in Tigne but as they had accomodation needed to find a single room at a sensible rate and I came across The Alpaka Lodge.

The hotel is located a very short walk from the Aeroski and Palafour and Paquis lifts at the centre of Tigne Le Lac and also the bus terminus (for those who like me used the Snow Train) so it’s in a great location! There is a small ski locker area outside and boot drying / warming inside.

My room had a balcony, television and a bath – I seem to recall some rooms have showers. It was kept very clean and was warm. The decor was basic and rustic in style a bit like the rest of the hotel.

The food was fantastic and could not be faulted, in fact the Ski Club of Great Britain, ate there most nights. Breakfast is a choice of continental or full English with afternoon tea and jam set out when you got back if you wanted it and 4 course dinners. The dining room has great views over the slopes to get you fired up for the day ahead.

The bar is used by the local reps and as other have said can get full. My room was on the first floor and if I have a criticism I could hear the music and general noise from the bar which went on to 1 ish most nights, but after a day’s skiing always seemed to nod off anyway.

I also agree that Oscar is the biggest dog you will have seen and he will not move for anyone so get used to stepping over him.

I also recommend L’Arbina as a nice place for a drink. The road in front of it had a street market I think on 2 evenings a week which sells both local produce and cheap ski gear. In my phot the road to the side lead up the the Alpaka.

Overall, I was pleased with the hotel, basic but just what I wanted and at a very reasonable price. The Alpaka will not be to everyone’s taste more ski / boarder dude than Russian oligarch, but I would be happy to recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Thank You fore a lovely week in Alpacka. See you again

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2008

This has to be the cosiest hotel in the French alps just what the doctor ordered after a hard cold day on the hill. Tony the ever congenial host behind the bar and Oscar the biggest dog I have indeed ever seen. Rooms clean and comfortable and great food.
The espace Killy has some thing for everyone and the Alpaka is perfectly situated in this vast skiing area I had a really fab week here.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JimmyH96
Reviewed April 3, 2008

Great hotel in Tignes and only a 5 mins walk from the main lifts in Tignes Le Lac

The hotel is a very friendly and cosy place with great staff. The owners, Tony & Jill are very welcoming and help you out with whatever you need.

The rooms are always clean and tidy. They are decorated in the traditional style with ample space for clothes etc. The bathrooms are clean and adequate.

The only negative I can say about the room is that there is no shower.

The hotel has a very popular bar which is great fun at night and shows all the England matches that are on.

Breakfast is a real treat. You have the full continental breakfast followed by a traditional English breakfast, the perfect way to start an active day on the slopes.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank t11myx