Hotel Chalet Mounier
Hotel Cote Brune(Les Deux-Alpes)
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
Hotel La Meije(Les Deux-Alpes)
Residence Le Cortina(Les Deux-Alpes)
  • Spa
Hotel Le Provencal(Les Deux-Alpes)
Le Souleil'Or(Les Deux-Alpes)
Priceline
Brunerie Hotel(Les Deux-Alpes)
  • Pool
Aalborg Hotel(Les Deux-Alpes)
TripAdvisor
Hotel Jam Session(Les Deux-Alpes)
Travelocity
All reviewsmichelin star restauranthalf boardwinter or summergreat storage spacesteam roombreakfast selectiongreat facilitiesbalconies facingwonderful staysmall swimming poolfabulous hotelclose to shopsduplex suitelovely roomski holidaycomfortable roomscoffee machine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Chalet Mounier a week over Christmas 2012 and were not disappointed, it's definitely one of the best small hotels we stayed in (and we travelled quite a lot)

Location: not the best for skiing, on the quiet side of the village near Venosc lift. In ski boots it's possible to walk to Diable lift, but main lifts are about 15 mins walk. Luckily the hotel has a minibus to ferry guests around and the max we ever had to wait was about 10mins.

Rooms: nicely decorated with wooden panels on the walls and ceiling, well appointed and fairly comfortable. We stayed in junior suite, which was somewhat smaller than I expected, but enough space for 2 adults and a child. Rooms were cleaned several times during the day and beds were made while we had our dinners.

Facilities: great lounge are, comfortable sofas and armchairs, games tables, separate area with large tv and wii, fireplace, bar. Usually plenty of space to choose your favourite spot after long day of skiing, the only time it gets really busy I'd right before dinner time. Chalet Mounier also has a spa (which we did not use), small swimming pool (great for kids and our daughter went there almost every day), sauna and tiny gym (not much use). Overall we think facilities are more than adequate and generally better than in many small hotels.

Restaurant: this was the highlight of our stay. The breakfast was decent, with choice of standard dishes and couple extras to order, fresh juice, good coffee and fresh croissants. As many reviewers mentioned the dinners are cooked by the same chef as Michelin starred restaurant in the chalet and every day it was a gastronomical delight (may be a bit heavy on meat dishes). Our 8 yrs old daughter had largely the same dishes, which we rather liked as she tried few interesting things. Choice of wines is enormous, with even cheaper ones (40-70 eur range) being very good. You can also ask for your bottle to be opened couple hrs before the dinner and because you have your own table it would be ready when you choose to have your dinner. Small selection of wines by the glass is also quite good. And you can let sommelier to choose the wine for you letting him know your preferences. Deserts are specifically worth mentioning, and I sometimes had a luxury of having 2 because my family was so full to finish it.

Service: very warm and friendly, starting from the breakfast service, minibus on request and the owner recommending the choice of armagnacs with your coffee. Can't fault it.

Overall, very pleasant stay, great place for skiers and just to have good break. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Vadim T
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is only rated as a 4 star, but what a pleasant surprise on our arrival. Very friendly staff , beautiful interior and a very comfortable room. Unfortunately we did not test the 1 star Michelin restaurant, but will not miss that on our next visit.Chalet Mounier is in an excellent position, close to all amenities in Les deux Alpes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We discovered Chalet Mounier about 15 years ago when we were camping in Venosc and took the cable car up to Les Deux Alpes. The following 2 summers we spent 10 days there with our 3 boys who at the time were aged between 16 and 7 and we have also returned 4 or 5 times during the winter for skiing as a family and more recently as a couple.
The breakfast buffet is always well-supplied with a good selection of cereals, hams, cheeses, eggs and bacon, breads and pastries to set you up for a day of skiing or hiking. For us, a highlight is perusing the dinner menu before heading out for the day and spending the day anticipating exactly what some of the descriptions would turn out to be!
The four course dinner always holds some surprise or another and our boys enjoyed eating a wide range of unfamiliar foods, I do remember chilled melon soup not being a favourite but there was never a problem if we asked for a course to be left out. The waiting staff are all so friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them. However, if you have children who only eat chips and pizza this is not the hotel for you.
This year my husband and I enjoyed an amazing dinner in their Michelin star restaurant le P'tit Polyte but I would say that the food served in the hotel restaurant is of an equally high and imaginative standard.
I have read in other reviews complaints about the walk to the nearest ski lift which could be about 10 minutes but if you're that unfit - should you be skiing? I've walked similar distances across enormous car parks in other ski resorts.
Also there seem to be complaints about lack of tea-making facilities in the rooms and proximity to children in the restaurant - what is wrong with some people? It's a French family hotel which is comfortable, pretty and in a wonderful location so don't go there if you want the bland experience offered in so many hotels all over the world.
From the cosy bar area to the comfy and charmingly decorated rooms and the fantastic food Chalet Mounier has never failed to delight us. We will definitely be going back in the next couple of years.

Room Tip: Definitely one to the south with a mountain view
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank toasty754
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The only reason that I would return to Les 2 Alpes would be to stay back at Chalet Mounier. The service from the staff and the quality of food is outstanding. I was there 10 years ago when my children were very young and they bent over backward to make them happy. They sent dinner to the room every night at 6pm for the children. I asked the bartender if it was possible to get a VCR player hooked up to the TV in the conference room next to the bar and the next night it was done. By the time my wife and I sat down, the kids would have dessert and then off to watch a movie while we enjoyed a wonderful dinner. Much like an Austrian hotel experience....the staff is there for you. Pool is great, location is quiet but only 5 minute walk to gondola. Little tough getting to ski school early. For people that have small children, I will say the kindergarden near the ski school is the worst I have ever experienced. My 2 year old daughter was crying so they put her in her ski cloths and left her outside by herself and had zero remorse for doing it. Ski school on the other hand was awesome . My son loved his female instructor, she was so nice and caring.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NYSEski
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is a typical chalet style hotel embellished with carved hearts and flowers. It is beautifully appointed and completely comfortable with lovely views of the mountains (on the back side of the hotel). What sets it apart is its extraordianry service--literally every person in the hotel went way above and beyond in making our stay fantastic--from the front desk, to the man who drove us to the slopes every day, to the housekeeping staff and breakfast waiters. I highly recommend this hotel if you are skiing in Les Deux alpes.

Room Tip: back of the hotel for views
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family