“Everyone deserves a fresh start”
Review of Hotel La Farandole

Hotel La Farandole
Ranked #31 of 44 Hotels in Les Deux-Alpes
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Everyone deserves a fresh start”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We arrived on the 12th January with concerns due to poor feedback. We made contact with the hotel before we left the UK as we would not tolerate the standard of service and standards reported on recent reviews. We were a group of 4 gents, all over 40, previously having stayed in many resorts and many levels of accommodation. We felt that the hotel had made significant recent improvements. The hotel was good, the staff were very helpful in the main and the desire to improve was in fact the most impressive factor. The ski hire facility on site was perfect and the location was as described. We walked to the lift but alternatively the gents that serviced the shuttle bus were fantastic. The rooms were good, clean, bedding well laundered and the food was of a more than acceptable standard for 3* - of you fancy a great on piste experience try the contact@lediableaucoeur.com its fantastic. This hotel is a good price and the accommodation and service is more than acceptable - the WIFI could do with some attention as many visitors will have active lives and want to keep in touch with home and work. Overall experience .... Money well spent (The new Manager David is a great asset to this hotel, well done David you have made significant improvements)

Room Tip: Superior with balcony advised
2 Thank Frank W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have just come back from a fabulous stay at the Hotel Farandole in Les Deux Alpes.

After reading some of the Trip Advisor reviews earlier on in the season I was a little worried what to expect however I can only say that hotel has had a big turn around in early January because I really could not fault anything about our stay there.
I’m not normally a Trip Advisor fan however I do feel the need to write a review to try and support the hotel and the obvious improvements it has gone through.

My friend and I had a great transfer with Callum from the airport. He gave us some great advice of the resort and the best runs to do. On arrival at the hotel all the Ski Power staff in reception were so friendly and made us feel extremely welcome and could not do enough for us . Sam in the ski hire shop which is actually in the hotel was so helpful in organising our equipment.
Our room was 406 and was absolutely fabulous. I will never forget the amazing mountain view I woke up to every morning.
The continental breakfast was perfect , with a lovely fresh fruit salad , fresh croissants etc every day and the option of having porridge or even ordering a good old English brekkie at an additional charge. The 3 course dinners in the evenings were great and certainly filled up two ladies after a full day on the mountain!
The shuttle service to the main gondola in the mornings was great especially for my friend who was a skier . However I often walked in as it was easier for me to walk in board boots and meant I could check out the fab ski shops on the way ! It only takes 10 mins on foot.
The hotel itself is perfectly located , a couple of minute’s walk away from the main street where all the hustle and bustle is and where you have a huge choice of bars/restaurants etc.
Another plus for the hotel is the swimming pool and spa .. .a really fab touch to the holiday to be able to come back after a day on the mountain and chill out in the spa and rest the old muscles!
All in all my friend and I really had such a great stay in the Hotel Farandole for the price we paid for our holiday and I hope to return again in March. The resort itself is very reasonably priced and we had some great lunches on the mountain which were very fairly priced.
We also had a great transfer back to the airport with Simon.
I would like to thank all the staff at Ski Power for making our trip so great. There is a great team there managed by Dave and Michael and they were always on hand to help, advise or just chat at any time making a great friendly atmosphere.

7 Thank Delfiedoo
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have just read through some reviews of Ski Power and the hotel Farandole and felt compelled to add my own comments. I feel some points mentioned by others are worth highlighting, mainly all positive.

We have just returned from Le farandole (WC 12th Jan 2013) and if and when asked by other ski fans I will be delighted to advise we had an absolutely fantastic holiday.

From the outset the booking procedure was easy and reassuring. We had a last minute addition to our party and I was concerned about booking the hotel and flights separately, as the Ski Power allocation of flights were used up. Ski Power held a room over with no quibble whilst I searched the net and booked the most competitive flights.

The hotel/room was warm, clean and very comfortable with incredible mountain views. There was always loads of hot water. I found the bed one of the most comfortable I have ever used and can honestly say I had the best sleep I have ever had away from home.

I understand other guests have had concerns with the issue of toiletries and towels etc. I didn’t actually check in advance if toiletries were included as I always take my own selected products.
I always understood most hotels only change the towels once a week anyway. This wasn’t a problem as the bathroom had a large towel radiator which completely dried all the towels within a hour or so after use.

Breakfast is continental style and therefore basic. However, I found I was eating more than I normally would at home. Not a complaint but the serving plates often needed replenishing, which they were. It’s just crossed my mind that it’s probably Ski Power's tactic to replenish, rather than get wastage.

Evening dinner was generally very good with the exception of the Fondue night which I suggest they drop or, greatly improve. Whilst the portions seemed small It didn’t actually cross my mind to ask for more and I never went to bed hungry.

The majority of staff were typical seasonaires and understandably inexperienced in hotel work, however they all (without exception) kept a happy disposition and helped as best they could when asked or, required.
The experienced guys held the right positions to ensure things generally ran well. All are to be commended for their hard work.

I have my own skis and boots but I must mention and recommend the ski hire chap and his shop in the basement. I broke a buckle off a boot and he took it to his home to work on it that night as he didn’t have the particular part/tool in the shop. He did not want paying for this service, I obviously insisted he took a tip.
The following day I badly scratched and damaged the sole of my skis on rocks, the ski hire shop repaired and serviced my ski’s for 30 euros, I have to say he/they did an amazing job, the repair was invisible and the skis ran brilliantly on the fresh snow the following day.

This was my first time Les Deux Alpes and I thoroughly enjoyed the resort, I found all the restaurants, shops and bars very friendly and accommodating, I generally struggle with the French culture/way but had no problems here. My minds not quite made up but I am considering this to be one of the best French ski resorts I have been to, so far. If the ski area was bigger It would defiantly supersede the others, for me. If and When I go back I will take the trip to Alpe d’Huez, other parties in the hotel did the trip that week and seemed to enjoy the experience.

Only reel negative is the bar prices, especially soft drinks. I bought an orange juice and lemonade and paid silly money and therefore only had the one, from then on I mainly drank water. If the cost had been reasonable I probably would of had 3 or 4 per night (on re-hydration nights) I think the beer was a little more than the mountain prices. Just think Ski Power may do better in the long run with reduced costs. I would suggest they try reducing the costs for a particular week and analyse the profit, social networking and of course guest moral. They could always put the costs up the following week again.

To sum up, I got exactly what I wanted and expected from this holiday, loads of skiing, (managed to ski on the Saturday of arrival as well) comfortable, warm accommodation with friendly service and hot food. I feel we had plenty of bonuses for the price we paid, especially when you include the mini buses and the spa.

If I was taking my wife away for a more relaxed ski trip and to indulge in long fine dining evenings etc. maybe I would consider an alternative holiday/destination, either way I will certainly consider what Ski Power has to offer.

A very happy Jon from Wiltshire.

1 Thank Jonathan K
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I booked hotel 'La Farandole' with Ski Power back in September following a 'News Flash' on 'Chalet Finder' as a surprise for the family (2 adults and 3 kids - 12, 9 & 7). I was initially attracted by the swimming pool and inclusion of ski passes and airport transfers in the deal...I enquired about availability and received prompt and helpful service from the lovely Pip.

I was of course concerned when I became aware of the less than positive comments on 'Tripadvisor' made by clients who stayed during the first couple of weeks of the season. I emailed my concerns to Pip who responded with reassurances of additional staff training and support including the presence of the MD the week prior to our arrival.

We arrived at Grenoble airport, I emailed Pip to say that we had experienced some delay on landing and would she mind letting the transfer team know...within moments I received a response to say that although the large coach had departed, there would be a smaller bus waiting to whisk us off to the resort...such great service!

Callum (our driver) give us a brief overview of the resort and mentioned the lift transfers (another unexpected bonus) and pointed out the best walking route to the lifts should we prefer it.

Pre-booked ski/boot and helmet hire was easy on the Ski Power website and fitting and collection from Sam in the small shop below the hotel couldn't have been easier. Sam was also more than happy to help when we needed to exchange one of the kids pairs of boots for another size.

Rooms - we had a comfortable room with a great view of the mountains...the kids shared a room across the corridor with more updated decor but not such a great view...clean, quiet rooms, comfortable beds and plentiful hot water.

The meals were of a good standard and offered plenty of variety, staff were always friendly and obliging.

All the staff were very focused on providing a great level of customer service and were very welcoming to adults and children alike.

The pool and spa area was just as good as the photos promised...a lovely way to relax and discuss the days skiing with fellow guests.

As far as we were concerned the only area for improvement would be for the company to reconsider the drinks pricing policy. We found drinks in the hotel to be twice that of bars in the town and surprisingly more costly than restaurants on the mountain. We agreed that we would likely have purchased more if the prices were more reasonable!

All in all, a fantastic holiday...I would have no hesitation in recommending 'La Farandole' to anyone...

Have fun...we certainly did...

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the mountains are well worth requesting
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wendy B
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

20 of us have just returned from a weeks skiing staying at the farendole.The new manager could not be more accomadating, we had a great time, the restaurant staff arranged a table for the whole party. The evening meal was very good indeed, with a vegitarian option every evening. Breakfast was plentyful and the staff never let anything run low on the breakfast table. The rooms were clean and ours being a superior room had a fantastic view and a good size. We would recommend this hotel run by ski power to all, familys, large partys, and small. The only downside was the price of the drinks as the bar,s in town are very competitive and much cheaper although the hotel manager said he would address that. Also there was a pile of clean fresh towels at no charge everytime we used the pool and other spa facilitys. We also had complimentry soap in the bathrooms. The young staff all new there jobs and nothing was to much trouble for them. We will definatly book again with ski power

Room Tip: go that little bit extra a get a superior room the views are amazing
3 Thank SallyBryan
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a great holiday staying at hotel Farandole last week. I've read some of the other reviews and feel there a bit unfair. Don't panic if your going here, you will have a great holiday.

The hotel rooms were brilliant. We stayed on the second floor, and our room over looked the mountain. The view was amazing. I liked the electric shutters as it kept the room very dark, if you fancied a sleep in! Rooms were large, with great wardrobe space and the bathroom was lovely. We got a safety deposit box at no extra charge. Normally in most other hotels I've stayed in, you have to pay for this, so it was nice not to be charged.

The breakfast was fine. It was what I expected from a Continental breakfast. There was unlimited tea, coffee, and fruit juices. Lots of crusty bread, croissants, fresh ham and cheese. There was cereal and hot porridge at no extra charge. You could pay for a cooked breakfast if you wanted it.

Dinner in the evenings was great. Michael the manager was very attentive and nothing was ever to much trouble. We found the portions fine. I know some people have complained about the size of the meals, but don't forget your getting three courses!

The price of soft drinks seemed very high. It was 4 euros for a coke. The coke was poured from a large bottle behind the counter. I feel this is an excessive price especially when the drinks coming from a plastic 2 litre bottle. There is a grocery shop at the end of the street selling 1.5 litre bottles of soft drink for around 2 Euros. My advice is, just bye soft drinks in the shop, instead of paying the excessive price being charged in the hotel.

The hotel spa was great, It was a nice treat after a hard days skiing. Yes, sometimes there was no towels, but it was really no big deal. Just bring down your towel from the room, or pack your own towel with you from home for the spa. I think the problem occurred because people took more towels than they were meant to and did not leave them back. This was not the hotels fault, but greedy guests fault!

The staff were amazing. They could not do enough for us, or be more helpful. Nothing was ever to much trouble. They were always smiling and friendly.

A special mention has to be made with regards to Dan and Callum. They drove us, in the free shuttle bus to the slopes. The free shuttle was a nice touch from ski power as there is the resort bus that goes past the hotel every 20 minutes, however the free shuttle was much handier.

Callum and Dan could not have been more helpful. They collected are group later than the shuttle bus was meant to run,on a number of nights that we were late back from the après ski. They came skiing with us and showed us the slopes. I needed to change my ski boot, and Callum drove me to the shop, this was much appreciated as it was really hurting me. Just two really friendly nice guys who would do anything to help. Ski power should appreciate them as the represent the company so well. Any questions, just ask them, they are a font of knowledge.

The hotel lets us keep a room late on a departure day as we wanted to ski that morning. They did not charge us any extra for this. I felt this was a nice touch from the management of the hotel.

Overall the hotel was great. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was because of a few simple things. The hotel does not help sell itself. There was a lack of information. A simple information pack in the rooms would solve this. We had to ask to find out the basics, such as breakfast times, bus times, spa open hours, resort information etc This can be easily rectified, with a information pack. The other reason I did not give it 5 stars was because the price of soft drinks. They were very expensive!

So to conclude, as you can read, there really is little to worry about. Enjoy your trip, I'm so jealous it will be great!

Room Tip: Ask for it to be mountain side, the view is amazing.
3 Thank P169p30
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The key issue with La Farandole is that it was a fourstar hotel and managed as such by a French concern with extensive knowledge of running hotels. Its now owned by a Brit who owns ski chalets but as far as I can tell has no experience of hotels. I am a business man and this place has all the markings of a place that has been bought for x price, a calculation has been done as to what return is required, that determines the costs and screw the concept of service. How many three stars hotels do you know that refuse to provide soap? Hello! After you have travelled from the UK or wherever you come from why would it occur to you to provide your own soap.Do you go anywhere else and expect that, I certainly dont.
I dont know about you but I ski in France because I like the country and like French food. You wont get it here because its run like a ski chalet by amateurs who are well meaning but not able to run a French three star hotel.
If you are twenty to thirty five and dont know French food or for some reason dont like French food and prefer curry, pork chops and bread and butter pudding and always travel with soap come to Hotel Farandole but if you want a "normal" French skiing experience with aFrench hotel and French food go somewhere else...... a long way away from La Farandole.
It is not what I expected and I cant see that it is advertising what it really is so be careful!

1 Thank JohnMs186411