All reviewsmark warnerafternoon teaski schoolsoupboot roomsocial tableski holidaycakeslocal companyfair reviewbit dated and tiredski hire companyduring term timesteam roomseparate wcsocial skiinghigh tea
Reviewed March 20, 2017

We originally stayed at this hotel last year and booked it again for this year as we had such a lovely time first time around. Unfortunately, 12 months is a long time in a hotels life and generally things have deteriorated.

The staff are still brilliant, always smiling and helpful. The location is also excellent, true ski out / ski in and some of the rooms have lovely views of the mountains.

The Restaurant seems to have been targeted for cut backs with the quality of food down on last year and omelettes and such no longer available to order at breakfast.

Rooms are basic but adequate with shutters on the windows to keep the light out and the beds were really comfortable. The Hot water was a problem; with three of us showering, last to shower always had a cold one! TV had no english channels not that we were interested in watching and one of the our rooms safe was out of order.

Although we love the location of the hotel and the staff, we are thinking hard if to rebook with Mark Warner for next year. The September before our trip we were offered discounts to pay early which we didn't take up, then after we paid the full amount we were hit with a £350 surcharge; no real explanation as to why. Struggling hotel, struggling company?

Reviewed March 16, 2017

This is the 2nd year we have stayed in this hotel. We have 2 young children (2 & 5) and sometimes it is just easier staying somewhere you know! This time we stayed at Feb half term w/c 20th Feb as our eldest is now in school.

In terms of the good things:
• The hotel is in a fantastic location to access the slopes, skiing in and out makes life so much easier and the ESF ski school is less than 50m away.
• The childcare was excellent – clearly something Mark Warner have built their reputation up on.
• The breakfasts and afternoon teas were always good.
• We had interconnecting rooms on the first floor - both rooms were of a good size and we had a great view of the pistes.

The ok things:
• When we first booked last year you could tell that the hotel was dated by the pictures, which clearly it is, but that is reflected in the price compared to some of the other Mark Warner hotels which have clearly been refurbished more recently.
• The staff were generally fine – clearly mainly 20 odd year olds who want to do a ski season, so understandably not overly motivated, but generally happy to talk and helpful where they could be.

The bad things:
• Mark Warner are clearly cost cutting. Several things weren’t working, like English tv channels and jacuzzi – they said they had just broken, but clearly from reading other reviews these have been an ongoing problem all season.
• In addition, the food at dinner was not up to the same quality as last year – one thing in particular that stood out was a rosti we had one evening, which was basically a large round hash brown rather than a rosti.
• Also, the kids meals at 5pm were nowhere near as kid friendly as they were last year – all you need to do is cook some pasta, but the food was mainly just the same as what the adults were having later on in the evening.
• When we checked out we were told that we had an outstanding bar bill, which at the time we said was not ours (we always paid cash for our drinks) which they accepted, but since we have been back in the UK they chased us again for an paid bill. Clearly they need a better method of checking who is signing the room slips.

I like many others were hit with the Brexit surcharge, which clearly is allowed under the T’s and C’s, but the lack of any further information on it, and with the prima facie evidence not supporting the level of surcharge they imposed on people it has put me off using Mark Warner again. We were planning on trying the Mark Warner hotel at La Plagne next year so our youngest could ski, but we have booked with another company instead.

Would a recommend this hotel to a friend? Possibly, but Mark Warner are no longer a company I will use.

Room Tip: Book direct by phone and ask for piste view
2  Thank TheDon79
Reviewed March 6, 2017

There was a time that a Mark Warner chalet was fun, well catered, with good free and unlimited wine and the staff surprised you with well-organised service that followed a good, standardised process.
We'd been five plus times elsewhere (Val D'Isere and St Anton and ... ) and expected good socialising with people mixing at dinner and breakfast, evening games, quizzes or other entertainment after dinner and so on.
But not this time!
A large group of BASI "First Tracks" singleton skiers with their own debrief session after the skiing, sat and stuck together at dinner etc. Lots of families with small children inevitably sat in their own family groups ...combined with no evening games/quizzes or other entertainment meant one didn't get the vibe and mixing that has made Mark Warner chalets enjoyable in the past.
The hotel/chalet itself is tired and needs updating - decor ageing, poor hot water flow made a bath impossible, the satellite TV didn't work the whole time and we were supposed to believe that it had just blown ... yet I see others complained about this weeks before!
The standard table wine (Lou Cigalou) was DISGUSTING! It gave me heartburn and headaches ... and the premium purchasable wine wasn't much better and then we brought our own wine in they charged us €10 corkage! I'm sorry but if an advertised feature (free wine at dinner) is so unpalatable as to be unacceptable then that is a deceit! At least offer an upgrade to the standard wine for a reasonable fee for the week- your own staff think the wine is terriible! €18 for a very average burgundy or a €30 iiffy Malbec is not an acceptable alternative eiither.
No help carrying luggage to the coach, slow assistance with ski guide and then too late assistance to make the bus trip to Alpe D'Huez to use the free day there on the Les Deux Alpes lift pass also took the shine off things ... as did the hot tub not working (been off for weeks apparently), the steam room not being switched on a couple of days and rather smelly and the tepid pool which unfortunately is heavily chlorinated or treated and can male the poolroom rather unpleasant to be in.

It's such a shame - we had such good and fun stays before with MW I just think things are getting stale ... or taking customers for granted ... but there is NO excuse for the wine, the lack of attempt to amuse or mix us up in the evening and the chalet building is meant to be one of their better ones ... but this was not so much fun, and we'd been stung by the £50 per head surcharge (which whilst allowed in their terms and conditions has never been properly explained or justified - much of their costs will have been fixed before the season and before the Brexit vote and currency drop) ... so all in all rather disappointing and I can't recommend the Berangere or Les Deux Alpes (old lifts in the main, poor for advanced skiers if lack of snow and high winds limits things as it did for us).

4  Thank Bhoddisattva
Reviewed March 3, 2017 via mobile

What made this holiday was the Staff, they were fabulous, they are a credit to themselves, the hotel and Mark Warner.

Every question and request was met with a smile, nothing was too difficult or outside of their remit.

An exceptional group of young people who deserve and have my sincere thanks for making our family holiday great.

The hotel is very tired and needs some serious maintenance, that said it was clean, comfortable and offered ski in/out and 10 minute walk to the Center.

Would I recommend the hotel, yes for price performance and the staff, they are key to the success of this hotel.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
3  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed March 3, 2017

So, I think it's fair to say I was a little disgruntled by the Mark Warner surcharge we received just before Christmas. I had concerns that standards would possibly slip and our long awaited skiing holiday would be a bit naff.

Complete opposite.

We visited the Berangere over half term (19-26 Feb). We had a comfortable, warm room on the first floor with beautiful picture postcard scenery to enjoy. Storage in the room was plentiful and the bathroom appeared to have recently been refreshed. Although I agree with some previous comments concerning the lack of hot-hot water, it was never cold. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The TV didn't work at all, so maybe bring along a DVD player to connect if you want to watch something. Wi-fi was absolutely fine in our room as well as the bar.

Intersport offer ski hire - we used them and they were great although the queues were a little confusing and the time a bit rubbish as we missed afternoon tea after a long day of travel.

You could quite literally pop your skis on outside the boot room and be off for the day. My daughter was enrolled in the ESF ski school and they were absolutely fantastic - thank you to Jessica at ESF who was delightful and my daughter adored her. By the end of the week, she was flying off down the blues full of confidence.

The skiing here is excellent, there is so much to explore. There are lots of shorter slopes at the bottom - mostly greens and blues, with lots more going on towards the top of the mountain all very easily accessed by a number of chair lifts and gondolas. My favourite run was Jandri 4 which is located at the top of the Jandri Express 2. There is also a great restaurant if you catch either the Jandri 1 or Telephonique which offers panoramic views (Panobar). The cafe at Cretes offers nice coffee and Milka muffins!

Now, back to the Berangere...the staff were excellent, always smiling, very lovely and helpful. Every one is young, but they manage the place very well. Some people had some trivial complaints which I noticed were managed well and with assertiveness.

The free film club for kids in the evening was a nice touch so the adults could dine in peace :) My daughter begged to go every night, she loved it and the girls were great and always very cheerful.

The food was fantastic - so much to choose from at breakfast, both hot and cold.The scrambled egg I enjoyed and the porridge is the best I've ever had. Plenty of tea, coffee, herbal tea and hot chocolate that you can access all day long too.

Afternoon tea was delightful with some amazing cakes and biscuits to enjoy (as well as soup and fresh bread).

Dinner was a wonderful affair with three starters, mains and dessert to choose from, all beautiful cooked and tasty. The wine was adequate.

The bar I guess is reasonably priced if you compare to 'South' UK prices. 5 euros for a glass of wine, although my only observation is that it was pot luck what measure you'd get depending on who was serving. One guy gave me a very small measure and charged me for a large (6euro) but another would pour gung-ho and charge for a small. Wish they could sort this out a bit more.

The hotel is very clean and our room was impeccable.

I would advise bringing your own hairdryer (the one in the bathroom takes forever to dry your hair!) and travel kettle if you like a hot drink in your room although facilities are available all day for hot drinks.

Only other thing to mention - the first 24 hours, I found people very 'grabby' and 'entitled' in the restaurant and borderline rude and impatient with the ski hire guys. Manners don't cost anything and I wished some of the guests could've been a little more tolerant, kind and patient.

2  Thank Pikabeck