All reviewsmark warnerafternoon teaski schoolsoupboot roomsocial tableski holidaycakeslocal companyfair reviewbit dated and tiredski hire companyduring term timesteam roomseparate wcsocial skiinghigh tea
Reviewed March 6, 2017

There was a time that a Mark Warner chalet was fun, well catered, with good free and unlimited wine and the staff surprised you with well-organised service that followed a good, standardised process.
We'd been five plus times elsewhere (Val D'Isere and St Anton and ... ) and expected good socialising with people mixing at dinner and breakfast, evening games, quizzes or other entertainment after dinner and so on.
But not this time!
A large group of BASI "First Tracks" singleton skiers with their own debrief session after the skiing, sat and stuck together at dinner etc. Lots of families with small children inevitably sat in their own family groups ...combined with no evening games/quizzes or other entertainment meant one didn't get the vibe and mixing that has made Mark Warner chalets enjoyable in the past.
The hotel/chalet itself is tired and needs updating - decor ageing, poor hot water flow made a bath impossible, the satellite TV didn't work the whole time and we were supposed to believe that it had just blown ... yet I see others complained about this weeks before!
The standard table wine (Lou Cigalou) was DISGUSTING! It gave me heartburn and headaches ... and the premium purchasable wine wasn't much better and then we brought our own wine in they charged us €10 corkage! I'm sorry but if an advertised feature (free wine at dinner) is so unpalatable as to be unacceptable then that is a deceit! At least offer an upgrade to the standard wine for a reasonable fee for the week- your own staff think the wine is terriible! €18 for a very average burgundy or a €30 iiffy Malbec is not an acceptable alternative eiither.
No help carrying luggage to the coach, slow assistance with ski guide and then too late assistance to make the bus trip to Alpe D'Huez to use the free day there on the Les Deux Alpes lift pass also took the shine off things ... as did the hot tub not working (been off for weeks apparently), the steam room not being switched on a couple of days and rather smelly and the tepid pool which unfortunately is heavily chlorinated or treated and can male the poolroom rather unpleasant to be in.

It's such a shame - we had such good and fun stays before with MW I just think things are getting stale ... or taking customers for granted ... but there is NO excuse for the wine, the lack of attempt to amuse or mix us up in the evening and the chalet building is meant to be one of their better ones ... but this was not so much fun, and we'd been stung by the £50 per head surcharge (which whilst allowed in their terms and conditions has never been properly explained or justified - much of their costs will have been fixed before the season and before the Brexit vote and currency drop) ... so all in all rather disappointing and I can't recommend the Berangere or Les Deux Alpes (old lifts in the main, poor for advanced skiers if lack of snow and high winds limits things as it did for us).

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
4  Thank Bhoddisattva
Reviewed March 3, 2017 via mobile

What made this holiday was the Staff, they were fabulous, they are a credit to themselves, the hotel and Mark Warner.

Every question and request was met with a smile, nothing was too difficult or outside of their remit.

An exceptional group of young people who deserve and have my sincere thanks for making our family holiday great.

The hotel is very tired and needs some serious maintenance, that said it was clean, comfortable and offered ski in/out and 10 minute walk to the Center.

Would I recommend the hotel, yes for price performance and the staff, they are key to the success of this hotel.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
3  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed March 3, 2017

So, I think it's fair to say I was a little disgruntled by the Mark Warner surcharge we received just before Christmas. I had concerns that standards would possibly slip and our long awaited skiing holiday would be a bit naff.

Complete opposite.

We visited the Berangere over half term (19-26 Feb). We had a comfortable, warm room on the first floor with beautiful picture postcard scenery to enjoy. Storage in the room was plentiful and the bathroom appeared to have recently been refreshed. Although I agree with some previous comments concerning the lack of hot-hot water, it was never cold. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The TV didn't work at all, so maybe bring along a DVD player to connect if you want to watch something. Wi-fi was absolutely fine in our room as well as the bar.

Intersport offer ski hire - we used them and they were great although the queues were a little confusing and the time a bit rubbish as we missed afternoon tea after a long day of travel.

You could quite literally pop your skis on outside the boot room and be off for the day. My daughter was enrolled in the ESF ski school and they were absolutely fantastic - thank you to Jessica at ESF who was delightful and my daughter adored her. By the end of the week, she was flying off down the blues full of confidence.

The skiing here is excellent, there is so much to explore. There are lots of shorter slopes at the bottom - mostly greens and blues, with lots more going on towards the top of the mountain all very easily accessed by a number of chair lifts and gondolas. My favourite run was Jandri 4 which is located at the top of the Jandri Express 2. There is also a great restaurant if you catch either the Jandri 1 or Telephonique which offers panoramic views (Panobar). The cafe at Cretes offers nice coffee and Milka muffins!

Now, back to the Berangere...the staff were excellent, always smiling, very lovely and helpful. Every one is young, but they manage the place very well. Some people had some trivial complaints which I noticed were managed well and with assertiveness.

The free film club for kids in the evening was a nice touch so the adults could dine in peace :) My daughter begged to go every night, she loved it and the girls were great and always very cheerful.

The food was fantastic - so much to choose from at breakfast, both hot and cold.The scrambled egg I enjoyed and the porridge is the best I've ever had. Plenty of tea, coffee, herbal tea and hot chocolate that you can access all day long too.

Afternoon tea was delightful with some amazing cakes and biscuits to enjoy (as well as soup and fresh bread).

Dinner was a wonderful affair with three starters, mains and dessert to choose from, all beautiful cooked and tasty. The wine was adequate.

The bar I guess is reasonably priced if you compare to 'South' UK prices. 5 euros for a glass of wine, although my only observation is that it was pot luck what measure you'd get depending on who was serving. One guy gave me a very small measure and charged me for a large (6euro) but another would pour gung-ho and charge for a small. Wish they could sort this out a bit more.

The hotel is very clean and our room was impeccable.

I would advise bringing your own hairdryer (the one in the bathroom takes forever to dry your hair!) and travel kettle if you like a hot drink in your room although facilities are available all day for hot drinks.

Only other thing to mention - the first 24 hours, I found people very 'grabby' and 'entitled' in the restaurant and borderline rude and impatient with the ski hire guys. Manners don't cost anything and I wished some of the guests could've been a little more tolerant, kind and patient.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Pikabeck
Reviewed March 2, 2017 via mobile

Really lovely stay.
Staff wonderful. Family rooms are big enough to get changed in to ski gear in the mornings and not be on top of each other. Food delicious. Kids adored the small pool. Would definitely come back. Thanks Mark Warner.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2017

We have been totally mortified by Mark Warner. We were expecting the creme de la creme we had been recommended, only to experience unorganized disaster!

There are so many things to mention that went wrong, below I have listed a few.

We were in the first twenty to check in at Gatwick. Check in was easy but then to arrive at the plane and find that all our seats were not together and our 8 and 10 year old also sat apart, not the best start!!! We managed to change with other passengers but could not believe seats had not been seated in families given the childrens ages and also that we were so early to book in.

We arrived to our hotel, all very tired! No help from Mark Warner to assist us with cases up the flights of stairs, no help to assist and tell us where rooms were, no welcome drink zero! We arrived in our room which was tiny! Had we been any larger we'd have never coped with the tiny shower and bath! The light was hanging out the wall! The stool was broken and my son stood on the nail sticking out the floor! The room dirty with paint coming off all the wall, all very tatty! Bunk beds broken, electric sockets hanging out the wall, very unsafe!!!! Along with a television that could only play 2 channels. Non of the lights worked correctly and we did not dare let the children touch a thing electrical! Beds not even made with a base sheet, we took off the top bunk as zero room to breathe and broken plates. We reported all this to staff, but only managed to get the light put back in to the wall, everything else was still not rectified when we left to return to the uk!

We requested extra pillows, they finally arrived 2 days later after asking another 3 times.

We arrived back to hotel one day, unable to get in! No staff at reception luckily a guest was there who recognized us and let us in. We should have been given a door code! Something else the staff failed to mention.

The room was freezing along with most of the hotel. Hotel carpets filthy, signs broken and falling off the wall.

Towels were very small and in the end we used the towels from the pool.

Breakfast a nightmare! Plates were always wet, food not replaced, dirty tables, tables where chairs would not even fit under. Coffee machine that took mighty strength and burnt you if not careful. First day told eggs were boiled and went to eat and completely raw! The egg boiler had not been pointed out and eggs just had a sign in front saying caution hot, leading us to think eggs were cooked! You were always waiting for food to arrive and any time you asked for a spoon or anything you needed, this would need doing about 3 times to various staff! On the carvery night the chef did not even know which meat he was carving! Milk some days was just frozen!

All staff lacked so much knowledge! We were thinking to take the bus to the lifts given the snow was so bad! Sean informed us that it took around 40 minutes, as went around the town! This was correct! BUT had we walked down the hill we could have taken a 5 minute bus directly to the lift! We found this out at the end of the week! This could have saved our 2 children a long walk each morning which shattered them for there ski lesson! It seemed non of your staff had training in where things were or how to assist! Even when we asked where the medical centre was we'd to find this out from ESF as no-one knew.

We made it clear we only ate chicken and beef! Every morning we would arrive to check the menu and see how it would work! BUT every morning the menu would not have been prepared!!! Here I can only HIGHLY commend Ellie the restaurant manager!!! She did everything possible to help and was the star of MW staff! Such a lovely happy person who although had so much to deal with tried everything! We still would not know the menu until arrival back at the hotel in the evening! Luckily she did the best she could and worked out food for us, but again another unorganized shambles!

Dinner was mostly cold anyway! Plates were been taken before our family had finished. My children would not even drink the orange at high tea as always curdled and disgusting!

We booked our daughter for childcare one night, we were able to sign her in and take her up for dinner and bring her back! Then sign her out and she could come to us when ready! Had there been a fire they'd have no idea where she was! I did point this out to a memeber of the childcare team, who I believe was speaking to a member of staff! It also concerned me that a lot of the time we came in the basement door was open so people could on the lower floor enter to where childcare was! A number of times we were on the lower floor it was empty, this year my children were with us but for little ones worrying.

My daughter hurt her leg sledging and was unable to walk, we asked kindly to borrow a pushchair but were frowned upon and told that it was definitely not allowed!!!

We wanted to use the pool one day, went down and it was dark! I called a member of staff who said it was closed. I saw the sign to say it opened until 8pm, she then went to see if someone could come check the power, it was not until another guest arrived and told us that the light was on a sensor!!!!! The hot tub was empty all the time we were there, we asked why ..... to be told! What a good question! I don't know!!! The hotel was sold with a hot tub, yet it was not available!

Return bus journey to the airport we were told no stops!!! Air conditioning was on full blast freezing us all! The bus driver decides to stop 10 minutes away from the airport and comes back 15 minutes later! We arrive at the airport very late! People everywhere no organization! Zero help once again from Sean. Mark Warner staff just walking around looking about doing zero! The finale getting to check in to find no seats on the plane for myself and husband and my 2 children sat in emergency exits away from each other!!! I eventually sort it all out with a member from Small Planet! Mark Warner step in as resolved and to give credit to (Jayne) was very polite and contacted her manager asap!

The efficiency and standards MW have shown as a company have been disgusting! We have taken many family ski holidays with various companies and never ever had to experience anything like this! It's ruined our holiday and been a complete and utter shambles!

We sent a complaint to be fobbed off with a voucher towards our next holiday (which is of course no good to us, as we will never travel MW again)! After trying hard to speak to the directors, MW did zero and explained that the holiday was as sold!!! So if you want a good holiday I suggest you book elsewhere!!! I was not the only person to experience these problems and some guests had to live with mold in there room!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, all run down and totally filthy!
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family