All reviews mark warner afternoon tea ski school soup boot room social table ski holiday cakes local company fair review bit dated and tired ski hire company during term time steam room separate wc social skiing high tea
Reviewed March 3, 2017

So, I think it's fair to say I was a little disgruntled by the Mark Warner surcharge we received just before Christmas. I had concerns that standards would possibly slip and our long awaited skiing holiday would be a bit naff.

Complete opposite.

We visited the Berangere over half term (19-26 Feb). We had a comfortable, warm room on the first floor with beautiful picture postcard scenery to enjoy. Storage in the room was plentiful and the bathroom appeared to have recently been refreshed. Although I agree with some previous comments concerning the lack of hot-hot water, it was never cold. The bed was huge and very comfortable. The TV didn't work at all, so maybe bring along a DVD player to connect if you want to watch something. Wi-fi was absolutely fine in our room as well as the bar.

Intersport offer ski hire - we used them and they were great although the queues were a little confusing and the time a bit rubbish as we missed afternoon tea after a long day of travel.

You could quite literally pop your skis on outside the boot room and be off for the day. My daughter was enrolled in the ESF ski school and they were absolutely fantastic - thank you to Jessica at ESF who was delightful and my daughter adored her. By the end of the week, she was flying off down the blues full of confidence.

The skiing here is excellent, there is so much to explore. There are lots of shorter slopes at the bottom - mostly greens and blues, with lots more going on towards the top of the mountain all very easily accessed by a number of chair lifts and gondolas. My favourite run was Jandri 4 which is located at the top of the Jandri Express 2. There is also a great restaurant if you catch either the Jandri 1 or Telephonique which offers panoramic views (Panobar). The cafe at Cretes offers nice coffee and Milka muffins!

Now, back to the Berangere...the staff were excellent, always smiling, very lovely and helpful. Every one is young, but they manage the place very well. Some people had some trivial complaints which I noticed were managed well and with assertiveness.

The free film club for kids in the evening was a nice touch so the adults could dine in peace :) My daughter begged to go every night, she loved it and the girls were great and always very cheerful.

The food was fantastic - so much to choose from at breakfast, both hot and cold.The scrambled egg I enjoyed and the porridge is the best I've ever had. Plenty of tea, coffee, herbal tea and hot chocolate that you can access all day long too.

Afternoon tea was delightful with some amazing cakes and biscuits to enjoy (as well as soup and fresh bread).

Dinner was a wonderful affair with three starters, mains and dessert to choose from, all beautiful cooked and tasty. The wine was adequate.

The bar I guess is reasonably priced if you compare to 'South' UK prices. 5 euros for a glass of wine, although my only observation is that it was pot luck what measure you'd get depending on who was serving. One guy gave me a very small measure and charged me for a large (6euro) but another would pour gung-ho and charge for a small. Wish they could sort this out a bit more.

The hotel is very clean and our room was impeccable.

I would advise bringing your own hairdryer (the one in the bathroom takes forever to dry your hair!) and travel kettle if you like a hot drink in your room although facilities are available all day for hot drinks.

Only other thing to mention - the first 24 hours, I found people very 'grabby' and 'entitled' in the restaurant and borderline rude and impatient with the ski hire guys. Manners don't cost anything and I wished some of the guests could've been a little more tolerant, kind and patient.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Pikabeck
Reviewed March 2, 2017 via mobile

Really lovely stay.
Staff wonderful. Family rooms are big enough to get changed in to ski gear in the mornings and not be on top of each other. Food delicious. Kids adored the small pool. Would definitely come back. Thanks Mark Warner.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2017

We have been totally mortified by Mark Warner. We were expecting the creme de la creme we had been recommended, only to experience unorganized disaster!

There are so many things to mention that went wrong, below I have listed a few.

We were in the first twenty to check in at Gatwick. Check in was easy but then to arrive at the plane and find that all our seats were not together and our 8 and 10 year old also sat apart, not the best start!!! We managed to change with other passengers but could not believe seats had not been seated in families given the childrens ages and also that we were so early to book in.

We arrived to our hotel, all very tired! No help from Mark Warner to assist us with cases up the flights of stairs, no help to assist and tell us where rooms were, no welcome drink zero! We arrived in our room which was tiny! Had we been any larger we'd have never coped with the tiny shower and bath! The light was hanging out the wall! The stool was broken and my son stood on the nail sticking out the floor! The room dirty with paint coming off all the wall, all very tatty! Bunk beds broken, electric sockets hanging out the wall, very unsafe!!!! Along with a television that could only play 2 channels. Non of the lights worked correctly and we did not dare let the children touch a thing electrical! Beds not even made with a base sheet, we took off the top bunk as zero room to breathe and broken plates. We reported all this to staff, but only managed to get the light put back in to the wall, everything else was still not rectified when we left to return to the uk!

We requested extra pillows, they finally arrived 2 days later after asking another 3 times.

We arrived back to hotel one day, unable to get in! No staff at reception luckily a guest was there who recognized us and let us in. We should have been given a door code! Something else the staff failed to mention.

The room was freezing along with most of the hotel. Hotel carpets filthy, signs broken and falling off the wall.

Towels were very small and in the end we used the towels from the pool.

Breakfast a nightmare! Plates were always wet, food not replaced, dirty tables, tables where chairs would not even fit under. Coffee machine that took mighty strength and burnt you if not careful. First day told eggs were boiled and went to eat and completely raw! The egg boiler had not been pointed out and eggs just had a sign in front saying caution hot, leading us to think eggs were cooked! You were always waiting for food to arrive and any time you asked for a spoon or anything you needed, this would need doing about 3 times to various staff! On the carvery night the chef did not even know which meat he was carving! Milk some days was just frozen!

All staff lacked so much knowledge! We were thinking to take the bus to the lifts given the snow was so bad! Sean informed us that it took around 40 minutes, as went around the town! This was correct! BUT had we walked down the hill we could have taken a 5 minute bus directly to the lift! We found this out at the end of the week! This could have saved our 2 children a long walk each morning which shattered them for there ski lesson! It seemed non of your staff had training in where things were or how to assist! Even when we asked where the medical centre was we'd to find this out from ESF as no-one knew.

We made it clear we only ate chicken and beef! Every morning we would arrive to check the menu and see how it would work! BUT every morning the menu would not have been prepared!!! Here I can only HIGHLY commend Ellie the restaurant manager!!! She did everything possible to help and was the star of MW staff! Such a lovely happy person who although had so much to deal with tried everything! We still would not know the menu until arrival back at the hotel in the evening! Luckily she did the best she could and worked out food for us, but again another unorganized shambles!

Dinner was mostly cold anyway! Plates were been taken before our family had finished. My children would not even drink the orange at high tea as always curdled and disgusting!

We booked our daughter for childcare one night, we were able to sign her in and take her up for dinner and bring her back! Then sign her out and she could come to us when ready! Had there been a fire they'd have no idea where she was! I did point this out to a memeber of the childcare team, who I believe was speaking to a member of staff! It also concerned me that a lot of the time we came in the basement door was open so people could on the lower floor enter to where childcare was! A number of times we were on the lower floor it was empty, this year my children were with us but for little ones worrying.

My daughter hurt her leg sledging and was unable to walk, we asked kindly to borrow a pushchair but were frowned upon and told that it was definitely not allowed!!!

We wanted to use the pool one day, went down and it was dark! I called a member of staff who said it was closed. I saw the sign to say it opened until 8pm, she then went to see if someone could come check the power, it was not until another guest arrived and told us that the light was on a sensor!!!!! The hot tub was empty all the time we were there, we asked why ..... to be told! What a good question! I don't know!!! The hotel was sold with a hot tub, yet it was not available!

Return bus journey to the airport we were told no stops!!! Air conditioning was on full blast freezing us all! The bus driver decides to stop 10 minutes away from the airport and comes back 15 minutes later! We arrive at the airport very late! People everywhere no organization! Zero help once again from Sean. Mark Warner staff just walking around looking about doing zero! The finale getting to check in to find no seats on the plane for myself and husband and my 2 children sat in emergency exits away from each other!!! I eventually sort it all out with a member from Small Planet! Mark Warner step in as resolved and to give credit to (Jayne) was very polite and contacted her manager asap!

The efficiency and standards MW have shown as a company have been disgusting! We have taken many family ski holidays with various companies and never ever had to experience anything like this! It's ruined our holiday and been a complete and utter shambles!

We sent a complaint to be fobbed off with a voucher towards our next holiday (which is of course no good to us, as we will never travel MW again)! After trying hard to speak to the directors, MW did zero and explained that the holiday was as sold!!! So if you want a good holiday I suggest you book elsewhere!!! I was not the only person to experience these problems and some guests had to live with mold in there room!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, all run down and totally filthy!
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled with family
5  Thank YorkshireTinka
Reviewed March 1, 2017

This was our first family ski holiday. The staff in the hotel were all wonderful. The hotel is tired and in need of some decoration but was clean and comfortable. The view from our balcony was superb. The childcare was great. All the team worked really hard to keep the kids happy. A bit more organisation around the kids boot room would help though. The evening food was good as well. We heard the chef was new and certainly we had no complaints. Breakfast was what you expect, a half decent hot and cold buffet. Things that could have been better were the decor and the shower. Investment in some decent showers would definitely improve things. All in all would happily come back and would recommend.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank alastair l
Reviewed February 12, 2017

Thanks, but no thanks.

We upgraded to the family suite - terrible. No hot water unless you ran each of the 3 showers simultaneously for at least 20 minutes (which we timed). Shabby room, some doors had holes in them, stains all over the wall paper. (bring slippers the carpet is ancient). I've seen better Youth Hostels than this Hotel. The black out blinds are amazing though and if you shut them and the door, it blocked out the noise from the people hanging outside the hotel on the slope at night until 3am.

Food; by far the worst of any MW I've been to - I didn't bother eating two nights. Restaurant staff (Ellie & Hanna - lovely). Childcare, pretty average, we experienced a fairly miserable welcome on the first day of care and I'm not sure all of the nursery carers were quite cut out for a career in childcare! That said, my son wanted to go each day. The nursery / kids rooms are very uninspiring and not as good as other MW's (Lavante or Meribel) but the Ski School made up for it - my 4yo was able to ski solo in 6 days.

On the plus side, it is truly ski in/out. Location is very convenient for town and ESF Ski school. 1.5hrs transfer is a bonus.

There was an insane level of dis-organisation and lack of quality throughout our stay and it's enough to put me off ever going with MW again.

Such a shame, I love a good MW holiday but I'll be moving on to another brand now.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family