“A great find!”
Review of Hotel Cote Brune

Hotel Cote Brune
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Les Deux-Alpes
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This hotel is absolutely perfect for skiing - you can ski straight to it, the location is ideal. The couple that run the hotel are very friendly and happy to help too.

It's a very picturesque hotel and inside and out, very relaxing and cosy, full of pretty little details that added to the overall ambience. The Lounge area is gorgeous and a really relaxing place to chill out after dinner or the slopes.

The rooms are small, but perfectly adequate for a ski trip and our balcony was very spacious - a wonderful spot to sit and admire the moutain views.

The food was very good, you have to just go with the flow and be willing to try things you're not sure of (if that's not you maybe you would struggle) - but I love trying new things and found all the dishes to be tasty. The lunch menu is great - a highly recommened the Tartiflette, Tartines Chaude and Salade Chevre Chaude.

It's really lovely sitting in the outside area at the hotel for lunch - again great mountain views.

Only thing I would advise is that the hotel does have an 'apres ski' bar attached to it (which isn't open very late at all) but it does pump out a lot of that loud europop sort of music in the early evenings, during the day times it was more mellow music (Jack Johnson etc...) - but just be warned about the europop in the evenings! It doesn't last long though, so didn't bother us too much - it just made taking a post skiing nap a bit difficult!

That said we found the hotel to be very quiet most of the time, in fact if you are looking for a bit of a party hotel with a late night bar this probably isn't the one for you. I went as part of a group so we wanted to sit up in the bar/lounge enjoying a few drinks after dinner (probably finishing about 1am) but to do this we had to buy a couple of bottles of wine, as the staff all finished at 11.

Also the skii locker room is very narrow - not the most practical when there's a few of you in there, but still it's great that they had a place to store your equipment.

The spa is gorgeous! A complete oasis of calm, absolutely stunning.

If you stay here I highly recommend a visit to Crepes A GoGo too.

All in all this hotel was perfect for our needs, a very relaxing retreat after a hard day's skiing...I just wish the bar was open a bit later!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Miss_Day99

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Delightful family owned hotel with heaps to offer beyond an ideal location with a great apres ski bar. Our family room was HUGE with a lovely balcony overlooking the solarium and slopes.
I didn't ski this trip and found it ideal for a promenade along the bottom of the slopes or to browse the shops and bars etc. Highly recommended for expert skiers and couples of mixed abilities.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jacquiebaldwin
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Excellent foot of piste location. Good ambience and food. Rooms a little small and a bit over priced in my opinion. You are paying for the location on the foot of the piste near the main lift. Having said that we have been twice and would go back!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Skiterian
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I chose this hotel after much searching as it would be my partners first time skiing and I wanted something that would match both expectations and that magic anticipation of the first ski trip.
So.................

Hotel Position
Absolutely perfect right in the middle of the slope front with a fantastic bar "The Umbrella Bar" Some hotels rank higher on here but they are not on the piste front so beware.

The Hotel
Beautifully decorated and very homely and cosy. The rooms are very cosy and again beautifully decorated, ok the rooms are not the biggest but this just adds to the ambience and homeliness that this hotels gives.
The room key doubles up as a locker key which means this is a proper ski in ski out hotel and the lockers have boot warmers...great.

An absolute feast to both the eyes and the stomach. The evening meal was by far some of the best food we have ever had and the presentation was out of this world. How anyone can comment on being left hugry after these meals is beyond me. The house wine at 12 euros was also good value and quality.

So did my partner enjoy this hotel, oh yes and so did I. The staff from Florence and Didier the owners to the bar staff were wonderful and friendly and nothing was ever too much and they all speak English if your French is not too good but do try it always helps.
Could we find fault? Bigger fluffier bath towels would be nice but thats about it, this hotel punches well above its 2 stars and after talking to Didier the reason for the 2 stars is no hot tub or sauna but he did add "Hopefully next year"
So from us both thank you for a fabulous holiday and we hope to see you again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erell
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Coming from Australia, it was a rare treat to stay on the snow. To ski into your lodge, put your skis into your own locker and have your meal ready for you was brilliant. The staff at Cote Brune were helpful and pleasant. They also spoke English which was another advantage for us. The 3 course meal each night was excellent, always beautifully presented and tasted delicious. I also liked the fact that were couples, families, old and young were all staying in the one hotel. The hotel is not large and this was also an advantage to us because the service seemed more personalises.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2011

I spent a long weekend here in January with my 12 year old son. I cant wait to return. Cote Brune has just had a major refurbishment and it shows. The hotel feels very boutiquey, very friendly staff. Clean .Good bar inside and a brilliant tent bar outside.The hotel is literally on the slopes near the button lift for the juniors.The main lift is also very close on foot.The town,shops,bar, restaurants, swimming pool and ice-rink are also 2 minutes walk. Experienced skiers can ski back all the way to the boot room.You get a ski locker in the hotel and not in a damp basement. The room key opens your personal locker. Im not really sure how the star system works but I have stayed in many 5 stars that I have been dissapointed with. Cote Brune is a 2 star !!!! I had a fantastic time and its definately recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2011

This is a two star hotel so I was not expecting much but it has some strong points. The staff are very friendly (except one plump barmaid) and the place is clean. The rooms are very small with nowhere near enough ewardrobe space for the two adults and two kids we had to deal with. Consequently clothes were housed all over the floor and hanging wherever possible. No chairs in the room either so nowhere to sit except on beds! Very well positioned right on the piste front, seconds away from the telecabins and ski-lifts etc. No problems there. Good bar outside the hotel that played pumping music but only till 7pm.
Half board meant that we had breakfast , wghcih was the same every day Ham/Cheese/Cereals - sufficient.
Evening meals were another matter. You are given no choice about what you get served. No menu allowed at all - even though teh hotel runs its piste side restaurant all day with a great deal of variety on the menu - So my kids found the food, which was well cooked but saturated in French style sauces - virtually unedible. The portion sizes were a joke and we were all left hungry afterwards -needing to keep chocolate/crisps/ffruit/ etc in our rooms.
Bar prices for orange/cokes/beers etd are very high as none of these drinks are included in the 'Meal' that you get. Total bar biull for us four was 450 Euros!

We had Veal one night (which I dont eat) Trout one night which was boney and very hard to eat - despite the de-bonning we attempted. Venison one night (new years eve) which was almost raw. They did get some chicken for the kids though on NYE which I thought was nice of them. We had to pay 140 Euros per head (compulsory) for a new years eve meal which , for that price, was a total rip-off. Portions even smaller than usual.
NOTE: most nightst there were THREE dogs in the restaurant -barking, scratching and growling at times. I found these mutts being allowed in a place of food quite appalling.
All in all this proved to be a very expensive holiday and I would say that there are better deals to be had than this one.
I would definately NOT recommend this hotel to a discerning patron.
Look elsewhere you 'll find better and cheaper.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family