“Great ski weekend”

Hotel l'Alpage
Paris, France
“Great ski weekend”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Despite being a bit nervous due to some of the negative reviews, we had a great weekend here. The breakfast were much better than expected - heaps of choice, good quality and plenty of it even at a relatively late hour. The manager was very helpful and gave us good advice - he is a bit nervous in english though, we had to translate for him from some other guests.
We took the very last room which was designed for a family so was huge for just two of us. Nice and warm, very comfortable bed. Only negative comment we would make is about the shower as the pressure is not great and it is just a hand held shower head over a bath with no shower curtain. But really overall it was just great and we enjoyed the sauna/jacuzzi after a long day on the skislopes very much. Can also highly recommend the local "brasserie" for its food & beers and for its entertainment. The live band there on Saturday night was just as good as anywhere we might have gone in Paris.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mondialer

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here on a group ski trip and I have to say, this was my first time in a hotel in France. I'm from America and recently moved here, so my review may be a bit biased.

The rooms were a bit different than what we're used to, various beds in the room which I assume are for kids and sharing. However, it was just my husband and I, so the beds made nice shelves for our suitcases and snow gear. The key was a real key - on a large knob so that was a bit different to carry around and made my husband a bit nervous if he was to fall while snowboarding on it - ouch! We had no shower in our room, just a tub with an extended shower head for baths. I have heard that these things are typical for an older French hotel, so these aren't complaints, just observations as something different than what we're used to. The staff was nice and every day we returned from our room the beds were made, even our clothes were folded! So, that was a nice surprise as we typically just hand a do not disturb sign and let it go. Our room was at the end on the front so we had a balcony to the street, I loved this and it felt very "French" to pop out and watch the lights, people, and the snow fall.

Overall - room was cozy, warm, beds comfy, and service nice. However, hot water was a little iffy...didn't get that hot.

As I said we went with a group so the meals were included - typical continental breakfast, a coffee maker that had hot chocolate, espressos, etc...so I enjoyed that every morning along with warm croissants. The dinner was fondue, which I can't complain about, either - cheese, bread, salad and wine?? OK! I should mention that I am a vegetarian, so I was not missing meat. Night 2 the group had duck which they all enjoyed and I was made a special stir fry rice dish with vegetables that was very, very good.

For skiing, it was amazing! The bus situation was a bit hairy in trying to figure out which bus to take as if you don't speak French...good luck. We eventually ended up on the right bus as someone in our group spoke French, so after our 2nd transfer we made it to the base of Le Chapel, Linga gondola. From there you can pretty much hit the entire mountain. There were also lifts closer to the hotel you could walk to, but we didn't have the opportunity to go to those. The runs looked decent and not very crowded.

The highlight was that next door is a French beer brewery, and they made some very good beer! They also had free wifi, which was great because the hotel claimed to have free wifi, but no one in our group was able to get access with the code. They have a few good food items on the menu and it was fairly priced. A very laid back, fun, comfy brewery. I highly suggest going for their 2 for 1 beer happy hour after a day of skiing.

It would have been nice to stay closer to Chatel, the area this hotel is in is pretty quiet, so if you're looking for nightlife, head over to the village of Chatel or make your own in the hotel bar.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front with the balconies, highest level (room 17) were spacious and had a nice view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Love2ski
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed during the ski season. Rooms were rather on the small side, clean but dated considering the price. Bathroom in need of renovation. Walls very thin- could hear all of next door's activities- even at 2am! We only ate in the restaurant once and that was mediocre- priced quite heavily yet didn't live up to expectations. The hotel's manager comes across rather rude and like he'd rather not be there. I wouldn't chose to stay here again having seen some of the alternatives on offer locally.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L0ve2ski

Travelers are raving about these La Chapelle-D'Abondance hotels

Puyallup, Washington
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Of course I didn't stay at this hotel to stay in the hotel, I went to ski! So that being said, it was fine for that. The rooms were decent size and clean. Bed was comfortable. The shower/tub was horrible. The shower sprayer did not hang on the wall (typical in France) and was so calcified that the spray went every direction but on your body...in other words the entire bathroom became SOAKED...I am not exaggerating. Dinner was VERY good. Breakfast was the standard fare, except it would have been better if they also had hardboiled eggs. The pain au chocolate was really fresh. I also used the hot tub, it was sufficient, but not as hot as it should have been. I would rate this place as average and not as bad as some of the other posters here have stated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Channel Islands
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Stayed before the snow season had started so bar and restaurant not open so can not comment on that.
Weather was cold but the room was freezing. Only a tiny lukewarm rad in the bedroom with an even smaller one in the miniscule bathroom. No heat at all in the toilet.
No shower but a pull- out hose that you had to squat under to get wet. Tea towel size towel and apart from a tiny piece of soap no shampoo/shower gel etc.
Incredibly uncomfortable bed and pillow. My colleagues room was the same.
Thank goodness only stayed 2 nights - can't imagine what it must be like staying for a proper holiday.
Can't understand the other reviews being so positive - obviously from people who don't get around much.
Definitely not worth £80 a night - this hotel should be much better for the price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
North Wales
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Very unexpectedly, this hotel was lovely! I thought it would be a half mast hotel, but it wasn't - rooms were charming and always clean.
Restaurant was great (with a lovely French waiter!!), served very upper class food!
Entertainment at night was good as well, we were there (a Welsh school group) during the Rugby SIx Nations, watching Wales V France with a bunch of Frenchmen! Very amusig, as we beat them!(the year we won the grand slam!!)
Anyway, they let us keep our skiis and boots that we rented form Chatel in a purpose-built room downstairs. Convenient to go skiing in La Chapelle d'Abondance or Chatel, as there was a skii bus stopping right outside. There was also a small convenience store just over the realtivley quiet road from the hotel.
Good all-rounder, the rooms were especially nice! Very well recommended, but brush up on your French, this family run hotel doesn't manage to communicate well through English!! I cannot comment on the gym/sauna/jacuzzi facilites as we didn't use them, but from the outside looking in they looked lovely and clean.
I fully recommend this to people with school groups, large groups in general, families, older visitors - anyone really!

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Llin123
Kent
Reviewed May 10, 2008

This medium sized Hotel offered excellent food and comfortable rooms. The rooms we had (we had 10 rooms!) all were set up for families and were clean, airy and well appointed.

There is a seperate games/TV room which was excellent for our school trip and a fitness suite and Hot tub and Sanua for us.

The food was authentic and of good quality.

Location was very very quite, only a small shop opposite and a bar by the side, but this totally suited our school group.

We chose to use our coach to take us to Pre La Joux to start our sking each day as this was most convienate, however there is a lift which links to the Chatel area down the road if you fancied a walk. Ski bus stopped outside.

NOT MUCH ENGLISH SPOKEN IN THE HOTEL. Brush up your French!!.

WE would defenetly use this Hotel again.

• Liked — Style and facilities
  • Disliked — Not much
  • Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Chapelle-D'Abondance
#5 of 7 in La Chapelle-D'Abondance
Les Touristes
Les Touristes
#24 of 28 in Abondance

Been to Hotel l'Alpage? Share your experiences!