Hotel Au Chamois d'Or
Hotel Le Pic Blanc(L'Alpe-d'Huez)
$97
$95
Hotel Alp'azur(L'Alpe-d'Huez)
$128
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel L'Ancolie(L'Alpe-d'Huez)
$128
  • Bar/Lounge
La Douce Montagne(L'Alpe-d'Huez)(Great Value!)
$75
  • Fitness center
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsprivilege roomski lockersspanigglewifiobtainingtoiletriesskiingcurtainsgroupslopesbath
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We loved the hotel and the staff was great. The views from our suite were spectacular. The dinner was very elegant and great quality. The location at the very top of the town is great for hikes up the hillside. It was pretty quiet in town, though as the summer season had not yet started.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed here as a part of a cycling trip to alp du huez . It is a real little gem , service was fantastic and the food in the restaurants was exceptional. Would definitely go back .

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed April 5, 2011

If like me your partner is keener on a ski holiday than you are and you need some luxury to get over the day's activity then this is the hotel for you.

This is the most expensive hotel in L'Alpe-d'Huez and in my view the best. This is my third stay in the resort and the position of this hotel is second to none, ski in, ski out, right by the gondolas and chair lifts. Heated ski lockers are provided for guests.

The rooms are a little rustic for my personal taste and the bed was very hard, the bedding was of very good quality and compensated somewhat for the over firm mattress.
The reception rooms was spacious and welcoming and the extensive bar area served a different cocktail every evening, in front of a roaring log fire with comfortable sofas abound.

The thing that has guaranteed my return, even though it means I have to go skiing again was the dinner, it was outstanding, I have eaten in some prestigious French restaurants but this was the most enjoyable French food I have ever tasted, the menu choice is not big but everything was faultless and the service throughout the hotel was impeccable, fast and friendly without being intrusive.

There is a spa with all the things you would expect from a hotel in this price bracket, it was clean and spacious and relaxing.

Staying at this hotel changed a skiing holiday into a holiday with skiing

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Talentedtoes
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This is a hotel definitely at the luxury end of the spectrum, but you definitely get your money's worth here. Situated literally on the piste by the foot of the main ski lifts it is an ideal base for skiiing. They have a basement changing room which has your own closet for your ski gear, including heated boot racks! When you open the back door and step into your skis you are literally on the piste by the lifts. Skiing back to the hotel is equally as easy - ski to the back door, enter a code and you come back to the changing area. You can then proceed directly to the spa for a swim,sauna,shower,jacuzzi or hammam (all part of the room price). Massages and other spa treatments are available for a cost, and are easily arranged. Despite my lack of fluent French I was made to feel very welcome and all the staff (except one person in the Spa) spoke very good English, and were very helpful with all my requests. The lunch and dinner menus are excellent - breakfast I did not try (I normally do my own thing). The bedrooms are very cosy and generally quiet. My room had a little balcony with a great view of the Alps, and it faced the ski lifts so there was a little noise from them during the day, on the days when I wanted to chill in the hotel and rest my legs from skiing! However closing the balcony door made the room very quiet again. There was a little 'corridor noise', particularly with young children occasionally, but it was only in passing and seems to be normal for most hotels these days. At night it is very quiet, with just a faint buzz of the piste brushing machines, with no 'party noise' that I could hear (I was there for a week). Again, if you close the balcony door at night (which you'll probably want to in Winter) then it is totally silent. Beware that there is a similarly named hotel 'Hotel Le Chamois' which has a reputation for having 'bar/party noise' which is completely absent from the Chamois d'Or - it is in a very quiet part of the town once the skiiing is over . There was free WiFi which is great to have, but sadly was very slow, so I had to limit my Internet use to just e-mail. Free car parking was great to have too, and on my last day I was able to use the spa after skiing and just load my kit into the car and take off. All in all, I had a lovely stay in this hotel, and can't wait to come back next year!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Originally when we arrived we stayed in another hotel. Very quickly we decided to move. On advice and recommendation Hotal Au Chamois D'Or was the defacto best.
Arrival was overa a large wooden decked terrace with good views and Pierre the Maitre D'Hotel was standing in the doorway. What a lovely welcome as he started to greet us in French and English. The reception staff were so very nice. We requested a double room and were taken to a delightful quiet room. There was no outside background noise interference despite being closely located next to the ski uplift point.

The room was spotless in every sense. The bed clothes were very comfortable and the lighting ideal. The bathroom was very well equipped and towels were of a high grade.

There is a delightful lounge and the restaurant has separate areas for mainstream hotel dining and a la carte dining. We dined a la carte eight nights out of the nine we stayed as the food was amazing. The one night we dined mainstream the menu was very nice. Service was semi formal with Pierre having clearly been at his profession for a long time. An accomplished and polished Maitre D' but also a swauve performer with just the right flair and balance of formality.

There could be a niggle that one could raise in that at breakfast which is self service, items did from time to time run out and were replenished slowly but it was no real big deal. Perhaps this is so I can balance the review but in essence, perfect is the only word which is required.

Although the hotel is one of the two four star establishments in this small town, it is clearly the most professional and comfortable. We were skiing with guests of the other four star hotel and they were not really impressed overall at all.

The Spa and the massage facilities were great. An amazing sports massage ensured that you were ready for he next hard ski day and ensured you went to bed really relaxed and so very wound down.

Perfect for holidays and if you can afford the rates, go there. Nothing else in the area comes even close.

Perfect.