This is an excellent ski-in/ski-out location, especially quite high in the mountains, as you have to be lucky to get enough snow around the Eastern time (in April).
I must say that I was happy to have read all Tripadvisor comments b e f o r e travelling there, because I knew in advance what to expect = no good/bad surprise !
Welcome is nice when you arrive by car, your luggage is brought until your door, or somewhere else on the floor… Luckily nothing got lost or stolen.
I would recommend to bring a locket for your skis space in the ski room. We were lucky that nothing happened and there are apparently video cameras, but I am not sure that they would play Sherlock Holmes and help you find your stolen belongings. Friendliness was not the specialty in this area. I had problems on the first morning with my brand new skis (bought at home of course), and I was just asking for an expert look but I have not felt very welcome. On a side note, the ski room is really old and used.
Indeed this hotel should urgently be renovated, it is soon no more a real 3 tridents… Food is also nothing special (except the Gala dinner of course). Well, you do not starve but you do not leave saying “I have 3 kilos to loose”.
Rooms are old and used but OK, let’s say functional, nothing fancy and quite small, especially the bathrooms, really tiny. We were staying there as a family, so we booked an extra room with communicating doors for our 2 children. It was more expensive of course, but it was worth having 2 separated rooms, 2 TV, more space for clothes, shoes, etc… and 2 bathrooms !!!
People are nice and friendly in the hotel; the Mini Club Team is really devoted to the kids. Mappy and her GO were all very nice and really built a relationship with the children, even during a short week. The Mini Club Show (last evening) was a real highlight. Ski courses for children are not given by GO but by the ESF (Ecole de Ski Français). The ESF Ski-teachers are certainly very competent, but they really do not like having parents around. One of them even told me “the kids are not the problem, the parents are.” (sic!) Well I actually saw some teachers’ behavior on the slopes (kind of rude with small children), and I was wondering if they would act the same with the parents around… maybe they were tired at this season’s end, I can imagine that this is not so easy to have new kids each week, again and again and again, but sorry it’s their job. I have already experienced this in a much better atmosphere in Austria, even at a season’s end. Too bad that there is no Club Med in Austria, because I am not sure that I will bring back my family for skiing next year in France.
About the clients : they are mostly coming from France, Belgium, England, Israel.
We were unlucky to have buses from Poland (120 persons) joining us at the middle of the week. What bothered the whole hotel was not exactly the fact that they had really understood what the concept “all inclusive” meant (especially at the bar), but rather the fact that they could not find their rooms quietly after heavy partying until late in the night.
Lots of customers came to complain and I must say that Bruno (Village Chief, very nice, friendly and available) took action straight away and it helped.
To put it in a nutshell : what makes this hotel attractive is its perfect ski-in/ski-out location, its altitude (1900 m) and its friendly GO team.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the meeting point of the six valleys of the Oisans, the resort of Alpe-d'Huez stretches out surrounded by the former alpine pastures of a mountain village. Dominating this suntrap spot and well placed on its sunny slope, this Club Med Village invites guests to launch out and revel in the thrill of the longest black run in Europe, while those who prefer to take it easy enjoy the panoramic view. Parents and children share the joy of new sensations as they zigzag around the skating rink. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med L 'Alpe d'Huez la Sarenne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med l `Alpe d`Huez La Sarenne Hotel l`Alpe-d`Huez
- L'alpe-D'huez Club Med
- Club Med L 'Alpe D'Huez La Sarenne France/Rhone-Alpes