“Excellent ski-in/Ski-out location, but old and used hotel. Renovation urgently needed !”

Club Med L 'Alpe d'Huez la Sarenne
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in L'Alpe-d'Huez
Trier, Germany
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is an excellent ski-in/ski-out location, especially quite high in the mountains, as you have to be lucky to get enough snow around the Eastern time (in April).
I must say that I was happy to have read all Tripadvisor comments b e f o r e travelling there, because I knew in advance what to expect = no good/bad surprise !
Welcome is nice when you arrive by car, your luggage is brought until your door, or somewhere else on the floor… Luckily nothing got lost or stolen.
I would recommend to bring a locket for your skis space in the ski room. We were lucky that nothing happened and there are apparently video cameras, but I am not sure that they would play Sherlock Holmes and help you find your stolen belongings. Friendliness was not the specialty in this area. I had problems on the first morning with my brand new skis (bought at home of course), and I was just asking for an expert look but I have not felt very welcome. On a side note, the ski room is really old and used.
Indeed this hotel should urgently be renovated, it is soon no more a real 3 tridents… Food is also nothing special (except the Gala dinner of course). Well, you do not starve but you do not leave saying “I have 3 kilos to loose”.
Rooms are old and used but OK, let’s say functional, nothing fancy and quite small, especially the bathrooms, really tiny. We were staying there as a family, so we booked an extra room with communicating doors for our 2 children. It was more expensive of course, but it was worth having 2 separated rooms, 2 TV, more space for clothes, shoes, etc… and 2 bathrooms !!!
People are nice and friendly in the hotel; the Mini Club Team is really devoted to the kids. Mappy and her GO were all very nice and really built a relationship with the children, even during a short week. The Mini Club Show (last evening) was a real highlight. Ski courses for children are not given by GO but by the ESF (Ecole de Ski Français). The ESF Ski-teachers are certainly very competent, but they really do not like having parents around. One of them even told me “the kids are not the problem, the parents are.” (sic!) Well I actually saw some teachers’ behavior on the slopes (kind of rude with small children), and I was wondering if they would act the same with the parents around… maybe they were tired at this season’s end, I can imagine that this is not so easy to have new kids each week, again and again and again, but sorry it’s their job. I have already experienced this in a much better atmosphere in Austria, even at a season’s end. Too bad that there is no Club Med in Austria, because I am not sure that I will bring back my family for skiing next year in France.
About the clients : they are mostly coming from France, Belgium, England, Israel.
We were unlucky to have buses from Poland (120 persons) joining us at the middle of the week. What bothered the whole hotel was not exactly the fact that they had really understood what the concept “all inclusive” meant (especially at the bar), but rather the fact that they could not find their rooms quietly after heavy partying until late in the night.
Lots of customers came to complain and I must say that Bruno (Village Chief, very nice, friendly and available) took action straight away and it helped.
To put it in a nutshell : what makes this hotel attractive is its perfect ski-in/ski-out location, its altitude (1900 m) and its friendly GO team.

Room Tip: If possible ask for Rooms on the South side with view on the Valley, unless you like the Parking vie...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Magali2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Hebrew first
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed April 23, 2012

What can I say... We had a wonderful snowboard vacation. With "club med" its always better then you thought it would be.
Although it's a 3 trident club and wasn’t renewed lately it is in good condition. The room is not big but well designed with a lot of storage solutions. The atmosphere in the common areas is great (though furniture in the lobby can use a "refresh"). Food was great especially the desserts. Service is great in the front desk, in the bar, in the dining room etc.
Overall, we had a great time thanks to the club med team but I will note a few disadvantages:
The Wi-Fi is not free. It cost 20€ for the all week which is kind of reasonable price but the network is weak in the room and very slow. So it should be either free or upgraded (Generally, I think that Wi-Fi should be free in hotels. It's like electricity; we don’t pay extra cost for electricity in hotels, and the infrastructure is not expensive as it was in the past).
There is a photographer in the hotel but 12€ per photo is "greedy".

Room Tip: Staying in the first floor is great because you don't have to use the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank stowaway88
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We chose this relatively late date because of school vacation and expected the Club to be full and were aware that snow might not be in best conditions. We were pleasantly surpised by the Club. It was our second time in Club Med, before we have been to Villars-sur-Olon, a 4 trident. I must say that I enjoyed our stay in Alpe d'Huez more than Villars. This club is smaller and more intimate, did not really feel the difference between the 4 and 3 trident (besides the ski room). Staff was phantastic, especially Ron at the bar and Jonathan at the Mini Club, also the waiters and the service staff at the dining room were exceptionally nice and helpful. Ski in ski out is sooo good, I will never ever go to ski again without it. The ski room, though, is a big mess and thought should be invested to create more space and order. We had two rooms, one with three in a room, the other with two, however, for the boots there was only space for 2 and 1 respectively. So where should I put my boots? When asking the ski personell, they just said something like - find your own solution. My nephews (rented) ski boots simply disappeared after the first day! Snow conditions changed from day to day, but all in all it was ok, the teachers were from the local ski school and made an effort to speak English as well. The rooms were good (we stayed at the Marmottes family rooms which were simple, large and more expensive). The regular rooms are on the smallish side, the toilet and bathroom more similar to same on a boat (they even have round windows...). The whole resort is in a breathtaking landscape and beautiful views can be seen from everywhere, from your room window and especially when you ski from up the mountains. All in all the atmosphere was great, evening entertainment was wonderful, especially the musical entertainment between 7-8pm, great songs, making every effort to make the guests happy. We had a wonderful time, all the ages, our 10 year old who found friends immideately (and we do not speak French!), our teenage boys as well as us the grown ups. I would definitely come again and recommend to all.

Room Tip: Marmottes rooms are large and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank hannir2
Reviewed March 26, 2012

At our first time ever to club med, my 13 year old and i, chose "la Sarenne" for ski vecation as his birthday present.
From the beginning, immediately after landing and right until the ride back to the air port, we were impressed by the perfect efficiency of the club staff, friendly, professional and allways extreamly helpfull.
Club is very clean, nicelly designed and very comfortable, club room and shower a bit small and a bit smelly from cigarets smoke, but also very clean and well kept. fresh mineral water replaced every day, comfortable beds, lots of storage space, and thats all you realy need from your room in a ski vacation...
Food is greate!!! Tasty and very diverse, we were suprised for the best day by day.
Bar is perfect!!! Bartenders are quick,friendly and crative, suprising us before and apre ski with treats and cocktails, kept as smiling the whole week. ski room has no lockers, best to insure your equipment (18 Eur per person) but ski in - ski out is a big advantage. all ski instructors are from ESF, we would especially like to recommend and praise Erik, our group guide, a true teacher and a top professional with all-around knowledge, from life saving ski tips and triks to home made liquer recepies, allways challenging us to our best abuilities and allways in a good mood and a pack full of patiance,
We truelly owe him big time as a major factor in our vecation enjoinments and our much improved ski abilities.
Thank you Erik!!!!
Allso recomend the streaching exorcises apre ski, led by a beautiful young Trainer to the sound of relaxing music, After witch we used to spend time in the swimming pool, overlooking the mountains view as we kept in shape for yet another day of ski, fun and food...
Finaly, The resort is perfect for all skiers levels, The view is amazing !!! Truely inspiring, snow was good, Several nice pastoralic bars on the slopes, queue at lifts reasonable all week long and overall an elegante and civilized sportive atmosphere.
only an hour and a half by bus from the Grenoble air port.

For us, as far as we can tell, this is a perfect place for ski vecation,can't wait for next year to return, this is a defenet bingo in our book, a true love story...

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Edan99
Paris, France
Reviewed March 25, 2012

A Club Med holiday has always been my idea of hell, but given that their all inclusive package price beat hands down organizing our own trip we signed up and decided we'd grin and bare it. Grin we did, the entire week! The hotel rooms were correct, the staff incredibly welcoming, helpful, and friendly, the food excellent, and the ski-in / ski-out location perfect. The whole holiday (1 week) was so easy and relaxing we came away planning next years ski trip back to Club Med, and probably back to La Sarenne.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank kris10Paris_France
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I have been on 9 Club Med ski trips. On 22 Jan 2012 I returned to Alpe d'Huez for the second time. I really enjoyed the resort and the snow conditions were excellent. However, I was not content with the way the ski groups were organised. I am in class 3B, there were 8 classes the week that I went. There were plenty to sort by language first and then by ability, however that did not happen. Consequently there were only 4 English speakers in our group, 2 of whom did not come after the first day. Luckily I had a friend of the same ability so there remained 2 of us, so I had someone to talk to on ski lifts etc. But the 'moniteur' spoke mainly in French and there was very little translated, the group chatted to each other and we missed out on the camaraderie that we have enjoyed on other trips. This happened also when I first went to Alpe d'Huez in 2007 and I was the only English speaker in my class and I felt very lonely. I do appreciate that I am in France and that my failure to speak French is the main problem, however on my other 7 Club Med trips ski classes have been split by language first. I have just returned from Les Arcs Extreme and the much smaller group (I think 5 moniteurs) did put 2 |English groups together, we had a fantastic time with lots of fun and laughter on the slopes. I raised this issue with the 'chef du village' of Alpe d'Huez, leaving my email, however he failed to respond.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Gill G
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med L 'Alpe d'Huez la Sarenne, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Great Member,

Thank you for the time you took to write this review about your holiday at l'Alpe d'Huez. We were glad to see that you enjoyed the Resort and the snow conditions.
On another note, we were very sorry to note of your dissatisfaction with the ski tuition during your stay and we would like to comment as follows.
We have noted your comments regarding the ski instructor for your group and that you found the tuition provided not to your requirements. Please note that the ski instructors are provided by the ESF French ski school not Club Med.
Unfortunately, the ski groups are organized during the first day by the ESF ski instructor locally, it's a process which we have no involvement with. The groups are firstly done in order of the skiing ability, which is the ski instructor’s main priority this is to ensure that the GM’s are placed in suitable ski ability groups.

We understand that despite your continued dissatisfaction with the ski instruction you decided to stay in your ski group, and did not address your dissatisfaction with the head of ski school or our staff on site to enable them to find a solution and rectify your ongoing issues.
Whilst we are very sorry for the disappointment caused to you on this occasion unfortunately, matters such as this need to be addressed at the time of your stay as matters such as this cannot be rectified once back in the UK.
All feedback we receive from our clients is sent to the ski school in order to improve the service provided for the next winter season.

We hope to see you soon in one of our Resorts for the new ski season
Best wishes,

Your Club Med UK Team.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This was our first experience of Club Med and we were'nt disappointed. The Ski in ski out was
really appreciated as it cut out the daily walk of death. The rooms were compact, clean and warm with plenty of storage space. The food at the hotel was awesome and we looked forward to different culinary surprises each night....the oysters were a welcome treat. Although the clientèle of the hotel were mainly French...the entertainment team made a real effort to include our party and Chris had us in tears daily with his comic timing. Thanks to the whole club med team for making the week one of the most enjoyable ski weeks we have had.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sharon C
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med L 'Alpe d'Huez la Sarenne, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this great review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our L’Alpe d’Huez la Sarenne Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you had a good time and that you enjoyed the quality and diversity of the food, having fun with our friendly G.Os, and being able to ski from the door!

We hope to see you again soon in one of our Resorts.

Kind Regards,