La Vallee Blanche
Hotel Le Christina(L'Alpe-d'Huez)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Hotel Le Petit Prince(L'Alpe-d'Huez)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel L'Ancolie(L'Alpe-d'Huez)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsschool childrengreat hotelapres ski activitiesshort walkrecommend this hotelmeeting pointski tripon arrivalsouphalf waychair liftother guestsice rinkbaguetteboundgroupweek
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Spent a week at the Vallee Blanche with 3 friends in Jan 13 and overall the experience was good. The hotel is run by skibound which runs a number of school trips so the hotel was full of UK children around the year 9 mark but they were all well behaved and looked after by their teachers so don't let that put you off. We paid £299 for half board, xfers and flights so that was a good deal. The hotel is basic but comfortable. The food is good and the bar prices very reasonable compared to other bars around the resort. The WiFi is very inconsistent so if you need a decent connection to stay in touch with work/family you will find this a problem. The sauna doesn't work and didn't the whole week (and was unlikely to be fixed while we were there) so don't count on going in there. The walk to the bucket lift is downhill about 125 yds - I suggest you ski to the left and catch the 2 man chair lift which takes you around the corner to another lift which then takes you to the start of the main area for the lifts. The bucket lift is good for the beginner slopes and schools but is busy, slow and can be packed. The staff in the hotel were really friendly and all english - compliments to James the on site ski technician who was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful - so unusual to get someone who knows what he is talking about and is willing to go out of his way to help you out - thanks for the offer of sorting out my new boots!! The staff are really great except for an unfortunate deputy manager duncan. We were 10 mins late for dinner one night (after getting back from a day at Les deux Alpes) and after the waitress told us our meal for the evening (breaded mushrooms, lasagne and lemon tartlet) he promptly arrived to tell us it had been "thrown in the bin". 4 grown men were not amused especially as we felt we were being treated like children but the truth was they had simply run out (as other guests had sat down before us and yet surprisingly were being served after ours had "gone in the bin"). We were also told the chef had gone home even though food was still coming out so another blatant lie. Eventually we were given a plate of pasta and tomato sauce with a plate of cheese and ham to chuck in - I refused the meal but the boys ate theirs as they were hungry. Somehow 4 x lemon tarts were saved from the bin but we then found out that some of the kids didn't want theirs and so we were given their leftovers. Not satisfactory hence why Duncan then decided to ignore us for the rest of the week after being approachable up until then. Top tip to Duncan - tell the truth next time and fork out for a pizza. By the way the breakfast is a cold buffet with no fry ups but they will cook porridge on request. The resort itself is excellent - try the La Sarenne although advertised as the longest black in Europe its a mixture of runs that go on for 10 miles. Some great runs and mainly south facing so a great place to ski (or learn). I also went in the outdoor pool around the corner which was a unique experience - for lunch try the La Trampoline near the main area - excellent food!

Room Tip: Take the bus to Les Deux Alpes for the day (cost about £10 on the bus) - your ski pass allows you to ski that area so no need to fork out any more money and you get to ski the glacier over there. Well worth a day out albeit a long day.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank 971Deck
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I travelled solo to this hotel over Chritmas 2012. I would recommend doing it but only if you like basic and are able to adapt.
The rooms were well decorated and clean with lots of wardrobe space and storage areas for ski stuff and suitcases which I was very surprised by. The bathroon was very well presented and had a full size bath and a power shower but it was a shame that for the forst 4 days when I got back there was absolutly no hot water to bath or shower with.
The above problem was solved by the hotel putting it's boiler on full blast fro what seemed like all of the time as then the whole hotel was boiling.

The breakfast was plentyful with enough choice including boiled eggs, ham and cheese and on request they did porridge for me every morning. The evening meal was basic but edible. With it being only the second week of the season and them possibly having new staff this was completely acceptable.

My room was room 106 and I wouldn't recommend having it (or any other on the first floor around the stair well area from what other guests said) unless you can sleep through anything or you really like noise. I had the noise of the children playing on the stairs from the hall way, the noise of the bar below coming through the floor in the bathroom and bedroom and the noise (and smell after the hotel having to use the boiler on full blast meaning I had to leave the windows open so the room was cool enough to sleep in!) of the smokers from the terrace outside the bar coming up through the front windows.

If it hadn't been for the very helpful attitudes and friendly personalities of the staff then this could have been a bad experience but it was a good Christmas week.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 20, 2013

i went to la Vallee Blanche January 2012 on a ski trip with my school,i didn't really spend much time paying attention to the hotel before the third day in my week visit to the french alps. On my second day of skiing i had snapped my ankle when i collided with my friend, i got left in the hotel with no one but the hotel bar staff and cleaners as my teachers was out skiing . i was gobsmacked at the staff because nothing was trouble to them they made sure i had had something to do they always made sure i wasn't in agony , they helped me around the hotel and made sure i had good memories to go home with and when it was the night time they made sure that i wasn't left out.They went out of their way for me going to the shop and different places for me and they were always telling my teachers to get me to the doctors. they also cleaned my room more than they should of . loved the hotel i would go again (i went to the school part called ski bound).

Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kelsey h
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over Christmas 2012 with our family and a group of 4 other families, of various sizes. The Hotel its self is fab, basic but very clean and brilliantly equipped with a ski hire in the basement, and two store rooms upstairs for your boots and ski's, by the entrance. The nearest lift is a 5 minute walk away, with access to the main runs and ski schools from there. The food is very good, basic breakfast of cereal etc and keeps you going for the day, dinner is three courses and generally good, our Christmas dinner was excellent. The real winner for this hotel is the staff, as with other reviews you will find that they are young, but this not an issue, they are very keen to help you with any problems you may have, are friendly and approachable, I cannot fault any of them. We had one major problem over our week stay, the lack of hot water. For three days on the run, my husband and son came back from their fantastic days boarding to find that there was NO hot water left at all for showers. The first day you accepted that this might be a one off, unfortunate, one off those things. We commented on it and were assured that they would be getting someone to sort this out, the second day we reported it again and were told it was difficult, it was Christmas day, difficult to get a plumber out etc, but by the third day I was getting very angry and to be fare to them, they bypassed timers, pumps etc, and put the boiler on full blast. However, this would not stop me from recommending the hotel or staying there again. A couple of our friends stated it would be useful if they offered more of a variety of food for the children, (personally did not find this an issue for our children) but I can understand this can be difficult. All in all a wonderful holiday, and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel regardless of the water issue, as the staff more than made up for this and always tried to help. Get these practicalities sorted and you have a wonderful hotel in the making.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank gerryd69
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Great hotel, good food and friendly staff.

Very functional as a ski hotel and also in a great location for all Summer activities.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends