All reviews we stayed half board family run hotel lovely family run for making our holiday breakfast tray traditional french food breakfast offers chair lift cheese fondue breakfasts were great comfortable lounge bar short walk lovely hotel every evening ski trip raclette ski equipment
Selected filters
Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic, I was debating between 4 and 5 on the review, but the friendly staff pushed it to a 5.

The room service (twice daily) is excellent, we had a twin room which was lovely. The bathroom was spacious, the only downside was the small bed but I am 6 ”2”. One of my reasons for debating a 4/5 star review was due to there being no kettle in the room. I think having these facilities would benefit a lot of guests.

The restaurant is exceptional, you’d be looking at a competitor for Michelin star. The staff were excellent! I wasn’t a fan of the meals on a Tuesday and Thursday, apparently this was a tradition. Tuesday was a salad to start and beef stew, didn’t find it filling following a day of skiing. Thursday was cheese fondue which I’m not a fan of, but this is my personal opinion. But you’re local to restaurants so we went to Smithys Tavern up the road (recommend visiting here). Breakfast offers cereal, scrambled / boiled egg, bacon, pancakes, fruit, yoghurt, pastries etc, so plenty of choice.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying here. Value for money and the staff are so welcoming. This hotel would be my first choice if i visit Alpe D’Huez again.

Date of stay: March 2019
Reviewed March 3, 2019

Loved staying here with our two grown up sons. Our room faced the mountain with a lovely balcony and the rooms were spotlessly clean. Thanks to the staff who were friendly and helpful at all times!
Location was great, very close to the ski slopes and bars.

Room tip: Higher floor overlooking the mountain is best
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2019 via mobile

Spent a week here with my husband and our five-year-old son. The hotel is spotlessly clean. It’s close to the bottom of the Grande Sure lift, and also very close to where Crystal have their childcare.

Our room was lovely, our only complaint was that there was only one plug socket, which made charging all our devices quit a challenge (we were in room 36, but other members of our party were in room 39, which had a wide selection of plug sockets and USB ports).

The food was delicious, and consisted of traditional French food. The raclette was a highlight, as was the cheese trolley. If you are a fussy eater - or, like us, have a fussy child - you should be aware that you do not get a choice of evening meal, it’s a set four course dinner. The chef was kind enough to boil some pasta for my son each night, to which we added pesto. Dinner is 7.30pm to 10pm each night, with no earlier sitting for children.

Overall, I would say this hotel is better suited to couples or families with older children, although we had a lovely holiday.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2019 via mobile

We chose this hotel for our weeks ski holiday, after reading the review. And we definitely, were not disappointed.

When we arrived we were very warmly greeted with quick and easy check in.

Our room was on the 4th floor, was basic, clean and very comfortable. We weren’t lucky enough to have a balcony room, but we did have a large bathroom with, to my delight, a Bath and a Shower. This was an absolute bonus for me as I find there’s nothing better then relaxing in a hot bath after a hard days Skiing! If I had to find some negatives about the room, I could say it was lacking in coat hooks to hang up our ski jackets. And perhaps the mirror could be moved nearer to the window, as there wasn’t much light in the room. The bed was comfortable with extra blankets and pillows in the wardrobe. They brought us fresh towels and even turned our bed down every evening!

The ski room was great, very secure with each room allocated a locker. They were large enough to keep our Ski’s, boots and helmets in and it was only a short walk to the entrance to the ski lifts.

Breakfast was excellent great choice with delicious fresh baked croissants every morning. The evening meals were also fantastic, high quality and different every night. The staff were extremely helpful to us, especially as I have food allergies to which they were very accommodating.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we both couldn’t praise the staff enough, we would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again.

1  Thank JRudkin
Reviewed February 10, 2019 via mobile

We have just returned from a wonderful skiing holiday. My husband and I went with friends and we all agreed how incredible it was.

As we had booked as one party, we were automatically given connecting rooms which was fantastic as we were able to treat both rooms as one which made our holiday a lot more social and fun. Check in was super quick and easy. The rooms were fairly basic, but as we expected, and spotlessly clean. The only slight minor points in our room were the hairdryer and shower. If you can fit your own hairdryer in your suitcase, I recommend you do...it would have taken hours to dry with the one provided. Our shower wasn’t very powerful, especially if you wanted the water hot enough to stand under for more than a few minutes. You also couldn’t adjust the direction of the shower head when on the wall as the bracket was fixed and pointed straight at the shower curtain. But we managed fine, so wouldn’t put us off returning at all.

The absolute highlight was the food and staff. We stayed Half Board and every nights meal was absolutely incredible. Our friends asked for an alternative for the main course one day which was absolutely no trouble at all. The staff were absolutely fantastic and spoke excellent English. So friendly and helpful, and always seemed happy to see us.

The whole hotel was spotless and the maids offered to change our towels every evening as well which was great. The steam room and sauna were a great addition as well - just what is needed after a long day skiing.

The location of the hotel is quiet and superb with just a quick walk at the start and end of the day and only a short distance from the centre of town. We will definitely return again. Thank you to all the staff for making our holiday so brilliant.