Tripadvisor
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Beautiful ski resort

Great skiing. Fantastic grooming and sign posting, on all the slopes. Perfect views. Excellent ski... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
DavidL6798
via mobile
So many places to ski!

A big domaine with breathtaking views wherever you look and uncountable skiing options (on and off... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
LucianoPRomano
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

1,133 results
All reviews pic blanc great resort off piste wide range tour de france green runs mixed ability runs open great slopes late season folie douce snow conditions chair lift ice rink lift queues bars and restaurants high winds
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is the second year my wife and I have skied at Alpe d’Huez and we can’t wait to come back. If you are a beginner skier this is the place to learn as there are so many good long green slopes. If you are an advanced skier you will not be disappointed with the longest black slope in Europe at 16 km in length or the other challenging blacks and red slopes. For the intermediated there are a variety of lift taking you to a height and level you are comfortable with. Most of the slopes are south facing which means lots of sunny days to ski. Alpe d’Huez is a skiers heaven on earth.

Reviewed January 6, 2020

Just back from a New Year break and we had wall to wall sunshine and great snow for 6 days. All lifts and all runs open, so many options which make it a top resort. Loads of eating out options and good facilities overall. Free ski-bus around town.
Very expensive though, everything was ramped up in price wherever you went.
We had a great time as a family holiday

Reviewed January 5, 2020

As a semi-beginner snowboarder, this was a perfect place for me! Lots of lovely wide green runs, but some friendly blues when I got more confident. The more advanced in our group were kept entertained by the big choice of reds and a few blacks. Some runs have tunnels and jumps to keep things interesting as well.

The free shuttle buses were great and served most of the town.

I'd also strongly recommend the sledging track (although it only opens at 10:30 for some strange reason) as this was great fun!

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed January 5, 2020

This is a large purpose built ski resort - if a little dated in places. The lifts are not the quickest or most reliable we have found in Europe. The general rule across the whole resort is the higher you ‘lift’ the narrower the runs become. The exception to this is at the top of Marmottes 3 the pistes service by the Herpie chair are almost ‘capacity controlled’ by the fact that unless you make the effort to be on the first lift from the Bergers area it can take well over an hour to get to the top of Marmotte. Getting to the top of Pic Blanc is even more of a challenge a long wait for the DMC and then a another long wait for the gondola ride to the peak. In the two weeks that we have visited we have only been able (high winds/extreme cold) or bothered to do this once.

We have been in resort over New Year 2 years running and have experienced really busy days and really quiet days. - there is no logic! The resort feels a little disjointed compared to others we have skied in Austria and Italy and you don’t always get the expected ‘bang for your buck’ by queueing for a perceived bigger/higher lift..

As I have already mentioned we have spent 2 weeks in Alpe D’Huez in December/January both in 2018/19 and 2019\20 and have yet to see a Snowflake fall from the sky. The elevation gives this resort a phenomenal 300+ days of sunshine but snow only seems to in huge infrequent storms. In our opinion this means that conditions peak a day or 2 after the storm and then deteriorate steadily downwards to the point where the pistes becomes hard packed and icy. The resort has snowmaking but we have not seen any evidence of this being used to improve conditions even when snowfall has been lacking for over 14 days!

As I’m sure others have mentioned this is France so do not expect orderly queuing or any organisation from the lift operating crew to reduce queuing time - it is not uncommon to find the 6 seat chairlifts running with 2 or 3 persons per chair even when literally 100’s of skier are waiting...

Check online for good family deals (2 adults and at least 2 children (up to 22)) which included night skiing and discounts on other activities. Must be for at least 6 days and 7 days in advance.
Mountain toilets are just atrocious - avoid at all costs!

Reviewed December 20, 2019

Beware when buying your lift pass. In the event of poor weather conditions most people will accept the lifts will be closed. But what if you have already purchased your lift pass? Well in Alpe d’Huez you will get messed about and you will not get any refund. When I say messed about I mean their representatives will not give a definitive answer. They just say at the moment it is closed and you will keep coming back to check. They need to sort this out, I.e. look at the weather forecast and make a decision about the next few hours. I’d also suggest they offer customers a refund of that day’s lift pass cost. This is what most decent business offer their customers when they cannot provide the service they advertised. In Alpe d’Huez they say “I am not Mother Nature, it is not my fault”. In short, it is very poor service, and Alpe d’Huez must do better. I believe they can because they were in fact ultra efficient when they took my 250 Euro payment a few days previously. My advice is to ski somewhere that is serious about providing customers a FAIR service.

Date of experience: December 2019