“Great hotel and location, but poor staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in L'Alpe-d'Huez
ClubHotel Belle Aurore
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in L'Alpe-d'Huez
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We thought this hotel was really good quality for money. The food was good (although very British) and the location was great. However, we found our room was dirty, the toilet didn't flush and the door didn't lock. So we went to complain and the room was not sorted for the entire week and were just given excuses, untruths and sarcasm in return. I think it was a real shame as we really enjoyed our holiday, but the staff were really poor.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

The Group of 4 adults was very surprised by the quality of food in the hotel and the excellent location, right next to a lift to the bottom of the slopes. The manager and staff were superb and made sure that we knew everything that was on offer and provided excellent advice on the sking opportunities, depending on the condiditons. They even went so far as to lend personal equipment in order to ensure that we had the best time. Whilst this is not a 5* chalet, you will clearly feel valued as a customer and all your needs will be looked after. A big thanks, especailly to Gary, the manager who made the holiday for us.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2012

This is a very difficult review for me to do as I have just spent a week in this hotel accompanying a friend who went on a familiarisation visit on behalf of the small private school she works for and as a result we payed a very low price.
This hotel is primarily in the market as accommodation for school skiing trips and is primarily staffed by "kids'' (18-30) who work there for the ski season. My experience of all the staff was that they were very friendly and helpful, were they professional? I would have to say no. I would also expect the staff to change each season so older reviews may be irrelevant.
The hotel itself is attractive from the outside, the inside is not fancy but it was clean and in reasonable condition. We had a room on the top floor among the staff quarters as they had a full quota last week, it was spacious but a bit shabby and tired, in need of a coat of paint which I understand is in progress. We were given extra pillows and towels on request. There was plenty of storage and we had a nice view out over the town. There was an en suite shower room with loads of hot water and good water pressure and to me the biggest bonus of all, bathroom lighting that actually enabled you to see what you were doing ( take note large international chains like Hilton and Meridien).
We were booked in with half board, for breakfast there was juice, a choice of cereals, yoghurt, cheese, ham, boiled eggs and fresh bread, croissants and pain au chocolat, butter, assorted jams, assorted teas and coffee and there was always a large basket of fresh fruit available.
We were invited to join the schools for lunch but declined but did ask for a packed lunch one day which was provided with the minimum of fuss, a cheese and ham baguette, a bag of crisps, a packet of biscuits, an apple and a carton of juice, pretty good.
When we returned from skiing each day there was tea and coffee and cake in the bar, mostly home made.
The evening meal was 3 courses and bread and water and wine were served with it. This food was very mixed. I fully appreciate they were catering towards children and what they ate wasn't a good guide as many of them went out and bought pizza when they came in from skiing each day so weren't likely to eat a 3 course meal an hour later! I have worked in school meals catering so know the difficulty of producing good food on a tight budget and given there was a school from Oman staying at the same time who required Halal catering plus any vegetarian or other dietary requirements it was a tall order for a very young chef. The biggest comment I would make is that of food not being served hot, the second would be that some of it required more cooking, the croissants and Toulouse sausages being the worst offenders, the chicken stir fry was a bit of a disaster, it wasn't a stir fry and it was overloaded with chilli. On the plus side there were large bowls of veges served with the main course.
I have to say that the children from the International School in Oman, the Forfar Academy and The Ossett Academy were very well behaved and we had some good evenings with the staff from Forfar and Oman, particularly the cheese and wine tasting event organised by Gary the manager, well done you for that one! We were also invited to the sister hotel one evening by the Forfar staff to join them at the disco run for the children which was fun. Thank you!
Overall for the price I paid for the whole trip I was very satisfied, in the capacity in which I went I would have concerns about the catering, it's not bad it needs some tweaking and could easily be made very good. I think the choice of menu was as much at fault as anything else. At least it wasn't all burgers and chips! My other concerns were the steps from the boot room level to street level weren't cleared of snow each day and did become treacherous and the staff being very young and inexperienced did get a bit sulky when we tried a bit of constructive criticism. I did wonder how they would cope in the event of an emergency. As for who decided to use our toilet in our absence and not bother flushing it we will never know........

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Our 1st Ski holiday in a hotel as we had always gone self catering in a chalet and we'd go half board in this hotel again.

On arrival the staff were very helpful, quick and easy check in, room was spacious with a lovely balcony which looked over the centre of the resort.

The beds were very comfy, asked for extra pillows which we got immediatley, the room were very clean and checked daily. Towels are provided too but not tea/coffee making facilities but we took a travel kettle.

At dinner on the 1st night the manager introduced himself and gave us lots of information about the hotel and other local facilities.

The food was great, a 3 course evening meal with wine, i could not fault a meal.
Breakfast was contiential style and plenty of it, even porrdridge on request.

A great tip, you can purchase a packed lunch for 15 euros a week which you collect at breakfast.

Drinks at the bar were not expensive, happy hours daily too alongside other offers.

There is a large games room with sky tv, a nintendo WII, jenga games and pool.

The hotel organised a wine and cheese tasting evening and an open mic night too which were great fun.

Down in the lower ground floor is the ski room so you can safely store your ski gear.

The hotel has safety keycoded locks on all doors so this adds to security.

It's only a 2 minute walk to the 1st ski lift and you can almost ski back to the door, access to shops bars etc is a 1 minute walk.

There is a swimming pool and ice skating rink which you can access free of charge with your lift pass.

All in all this is a great hotel in a great location, we will happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony - we requested prior to departure balcony bath and shower.
Reviewed January 17, 2012

First of all I have to say the hotel location was good. On the other hand I wouldn't serve the food to my dog! The food was of poor quality, over cooked and the portions were microscopic. And don't get me started on the staff!! They majority of the staff were rude and seemed to be half asleep and hungover at breakfast! They looked like the cast from shameless. I wouldn't stay here again even if If the only other available accommodation on the the resort was a tent. We traveled with Crystal and were given the shabby old rooms as this is a Skibound hotel the best rooms were kept for people who booked with Skibound! I suspect some of the other reviews on here are an inside job. Having said all that the skiing was great.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank 8ball83
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as part of a package holiday and for the price we paid, I thought we got an excellent return.
The hotel had been recently refurbished and the rooms were spacious and with plenty of storage (a rare find in the French Alps!). The bathroom had a full size bath and powerful shower.
The staff were one of the most positive points of the hotel. They were always friendly and helpful throughout the week and when we met any of them outside of the hotel they were happy to have a chat with us.
The food wasn't the greatest ever - don't expect local smelly cheesy dishes, but it was still perfectly acceptable and inoffensive - although it would have benefited from larger portions.

The evening's entertainment wasn't bad either with the cheese and wine tasting being good fun and also an open mic night.

I would definitely be happy to stay there again.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at the Belle Aurore last in week in Alpe d'huez,
It was our first time in France skiing and had an incredible week, the snow was great and the hotel was first class for the price we paid. Staff were friendly and went out of there way when my husband hurt his knee.
The rooms were nice and the view was fantastic from our balcony. Food was ideal after a day on the slopes and the wine tasting evening with Gary and his staff was hilarious. A great week and will definetly come back!

Room Tip: First floor rooms lovely